Grass to grass is struggling
Added 30kgs of barley to the seed bed too🤷‍♂️
20220522_094628.jpg
20220522_094631.jpg
20220522_095946.jpg

Been in about 6 weeks
After crops is looking good
Grass to grass is struggling
Added 30kgs of barley to the seed bed too🤷‍♂️View attachment 107427View attachment 107428View attachment 107429
3 weeks of growth on my hand sown clover and its really surprising me. I thought that too much moisture would have drowned it. Had a small bit of chicory and plantain seed in it but can't see it coming. I'm happy enough if only the clover comes - I have a lovely even bed of it growing all over the field.

IMG_20220522_163154.jpg

IMG_20220522_164234.jpg

I expect that these little guys are the chicory or plantain. Found a load of them as I walked through the field and took closer examination. Hopefully they will all grown yet.

IMG_20220522_164849.jpg

Last edited:
3 weeks of growth on my hand sown clover and its really surprising me. I thought that too much moisture would have drowned it. Had a small bit of chicory and plantain seed in it but can't see it coming. I'm happy enough if only the clover comes - I have a lovely even bed of it growing all over the field.

View attachment 107473
Are you sure they are new plants from the seed, or just clovers that are naturally regenerating? To me the plants are way too strong from seed sown 21 days ago

View attachment 107473

View attachment 107474
The seeds I sowed into grass on 15 april I haven't seen yet
We had over 2 weeks dry after and going by the growth on my reseeds would only just be germinating

Are you sure they are new plants from the seed, or just clovers that are naturally regenerating? To me the plants are way too strong from seed sown 21 days ago
Field was sprayed off with mcpa last year and had little or no clover left in it. It was never really a clover friendly field as it was wet and rushy and sprayed regularly. It was drained, limed and sprayed off last year.

I'm seeding where cows are strip grazing to let them walk it in since last sunday. The first seeds that I sowed were growing visible to the eye yesterday.

IMG_20220518_070739.jpg

Last edited:
Field was sprayed off with mcpa last year and had little or no clover left in it. It was never really a clover friendly field as it was wet and rushy and sprayed regularly. It was drained, limed and sprayed off last year.

I'm seeding where cows are strip grazing to let them walk it in since last sunday. The first seeds that I sowed were growing visible to the eye yesterday.

View attachment 107481
Its just the first 2 pictures, I can't see how that is 3 week sown clover.

Ah Jesus I'm not walking back down. I spent half an hour walking around the field and the neighbor looking across the ditch at me while I was bending down taking pictures. She'll think I'm rightly cracked if I arrive down with my mug and take pictures of it:smile::smile::smile:
That's from the field behind the house where a few patches from the pipe going in needed to be set, so admittedly I didn't have to walk too far. Don't mind what your wan thinks, just tell her you're going mugging :thumbup1:

What’s the average kilo per acre to overseed a field just cut for silage. Just trying to work out a few calculations. Thank you.

First run of the rakeman on freshly cut ground. Put out the seed at 8kilo to the acre or very close to it anyways.
Rolled and it got slurry today so fingers crossed it comes now
🤨, is it very loose soil to be pulling up so much earth after only 1 run. Impressive

🤨, is it very loose soil to be pulling up so much earth after only 1 run. Impressive
No not at all. I rang a contractor who I was told has one. He said set it as aggressive as possible.
The field had got a few hours of rain so that helped big time.
One draw back was I should have picked up any silage the baler missed as it just gathered in the tines.
As you can tell by the walls there’s no shortage of stones here so wouldn’t be a good depth of soil at all

Back