Lidl / Aldi Offers

Yeah, I looked at the Teng version and it had a little trigger for changing direction (guaranteed to fall off or slip). Gedore was just a case of turning it around! Yes, one or two old Gedore spanners knocking around and they're excellent.
Not impressed at all by Teng ratchets we have here. 1/2" wore out and broke. 1/4" one has a trigger which never stays put..
try a facom ratchet sometime.
they have a variety, last one i got has a ring on it for changing direction and a polished top for your palm to rest on.
ive got some right smacks off ratchets in the past when i accidentally hit the lever for reversing.
dear, but cheap in the long run.

Did I hear that Britool aren't what they were? They were always my favourite.

we kind of have gone off topic, well until the next round of lidl sales anyways i suppose.
so, ill drop this in here.
i bought one of these a few months back,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FACOM-1-2...024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e97ae7e08

i never had one before, i have 3 or 4 1/2 long bars with the swivel heads but i never had a 18" one with a ratchet.
anyways, i picked up a facom one cheap one day and i must say, i find it wild handy, i dont go mad with it because im sure it has a limi,t but it has taken a fair bit of abuse and the more i use it, the more jobs i find for it.

Did I hear that Britool aren't what they were? They were always my favourite.
yeah, im disappointed tbh, always liked their stuff and would have a right bit of the red gear, but since they turned colour the quality has dropped somewhat.
its still ok, but it just dosent do it for me anymore.

Am I imagining it or are Teng tools overrated?

Treated myself to a Gedore 19mm ratchet spanner today. Nosy neighbour nearly had a seizure when he saw how much I was spending...

The same fella is doooooooggggg rough on gear. And I mean dooooggg rough.

Only Teng stuff here are this http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/teng-tools-1200-quick-release-ratchet-fi-p143897 type of ratchet in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drive, never gave any bother and what I like about them is they are quieter in the sense that if you bang off something metal you just hear a dull thud and less likely to chip paint.

yeah, im disappointed tbh, always liked their stuff and would have a right bit of the red gear, but since they turned colour the quality has dropped somewhat.
its still ok, but it just dosent do it for me anymore.

Its just been a graduall thing too . The bigest majority of my combination spanners are Britool . The older ones even feel better

Its just been a graduall thing too . The bigest majority of my combination spanners are Britool . The older ones even feel better
yes, the older stuff now was great tack.

now, for all i know they were getin it tight and had to do something, aft6er all not too many want the dear tools either.
but the colour alone spolied it imo.
i have a set of combi spanners in the new blue colour, nice polished ones, now they havnt been too abused yet and sit in their own box loose, but they are like a map already with light scratches.
id expect a bit more.

I had a Facom water pump pliers. It sounds a bit silly but it was probably my favourite tool. I normally wouldn't spend on something that good and tbh the Lidl gear is more where my league is. I ended up with it when I needed to change a fuel filter on holiday in France (200ish miles into an 800 mile drive) and it was the handiest tool for the job in the autofactors.

A couple of weeks ago my mother had been on at me to do the back brake pads on her car, it ended up being delayed because I hadn't the right adapter for the wind back tool so when she said it to me again one day at 12ish I figured I'd get it out of the way before dinner. I used the water pump pliers to sync the barrel of the wind back tool. Anyway my ma heads away to Cork after dinner to stay with an ill relative and a few hours later I realise my water pump pliers is missing. I had a bit of a look for it and realise I must have left it up on one of the trailing arms of the car.

Later that night my OH sent me into the city to collect from Parcel Motel and at the last minute I decided to head for the west of the city and have a look under the ma's car. On the way some little bollix changes lane right into the side of my car. And insists on calling and waiting for the guards when I'm happy to settle for seeing some ID and a written admission.

Of course when I eventually get there no sign of the pliers.

ooh, that would take the gloss of it alright.

i left a orsy box of cir clips on the mudguard of a lads plant trailer one day, he headed off with it, i didnt even notice them gone until he landed back that evening with the box, all intact.
he went 10 miles with them sitting on the mudguard.

Where did you pick up the sockets Nick?

Bought a nice half inch hollow ratchet and socket set in halfords just after xmas for half price. My first investment in halfords advance range. Did not know that it is only there advance range covered by life time warranty.

Snap on. One of the specials. Came with these sockets cost €250 all in.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...roup_ID=674908&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

If u add snap on willy on Facebook he posts the specials every week ratchets are on special this week all kind u could imagine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I wouldnt rate the steel ones that have a join half ways up as a whole lot better to be honest.

Then again I do have notions of making some quik stage based shelving :)

Am I imagining it or are Teng tools overrated?

Treated myself to a Gedore 19mm ratchet spanner today. Nosy neighbour nearly had a seizure when he saw how much I was spending...

The same fella is doooooooggggg rough on gear. And I mean dooooggg rough.

elora make nice ratchet spanners, at a semi sensible price.

i have snap on, halfords and workzone(LIDL) ratchet spanners and i find myself using the cheap ones the most as i am more prepared to dog them where i shouldn't. not that i do much spanner work anymore.

I've got the flex head 3/8" britool ratchet, a handy tool.

On the red vs. blue, the red stuff was a lot better, the blue ain't bad all the same.

Picked up a set of britool blue stubby spanners a while back, peeled off the price label and see that stanley is printed on the main label now...

Nothing against stanley, I have a few of their tools but they would always have been a few grades below britool.

On elora, really like the feel of their spanners.

Feck it I'm going to stand up for Teng. Probably take a bit of flack for it but hows ever.

I have a few bits of Teng stuff, because it's what one of the local motor factors does. I've never held a Snapon tool in my life but been around a good bit of older Britool stuff which is as good as it gets for me.

Teng, for my money, put in a creditable first division showing alongside the likes of King Tony. Their tools, again in my limited experience, are some of the least clumsy in the sensible money bracket without being soft. Fair enough if a Teng steel ratchet doesn't cut it next to a steel ratchet from another manufacturer but often it's their light weight fibre ratchets (which, to be fair is the range that they push and put in all the kits) that get compared to chrome vanadium from the other manufacturer. Same with the ratchet spanners - they do non-trigger as well. I bought an 8mm one to do awkward glow plug nuts a while back. It's almost adorable. :001_smile:

I had a teng 1/4" ratchet, now redundant, used a bit but not abused, the only way to keep it from locking was to hold your finger on the direction switch.

It's overpriced imo, their spanners have a nice enough feel though.

I damaged the jaws of a 15mm teng spanner trying to open a shock absorber bolt on a focus about 6 months after I broke the top off a teng torx driver trying to open a bolt on the rear suspension of a peugeot.

Maybe it was a bad time for teng, but I've never bought it since (this was around 10-12 years ago, when teng was about the only readily available "good stuff" in small town ireland)

they're the only branded tools I've ever broken through non-abuse.

I had a teng 1/4" ratchet, now redundant, used a bit but not abused, the only way to keep it from locking was to hold your finger on the direction switch.

It's overpriced imo, their spanners have a nice enough feel though.

Have half inch socket set had for years it took some abuse its always in the car now along with the first socket set I got when I was 18 the 150 piece Halfords. Have a full set of teng spanners id agree about the finish on them even compared to snap on.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised at the spanner and especially the torx letting you down. We've a good bit of individual Teng in-hex and torx that has seen plenty of the breaker bar but never let us down.

I never liked and was always afraid of the carbon fibre ratchets though.

I have a full set of Elora combi spanners and they are a lovely spanner to work with, but big money.
There socket sets are crazy money, I have wanted to buy the 3 sets below for the last 10 years and if I could get for under €2,000.00 I would buy them

http://www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/elora-sockets/elora-socket-sets/showitem-5424-15372.aspx
http://www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/elora-sockets/elora-socket-sets/showitem-5428-53037.aspx
http://www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/elora-sockets/elora-socket-sets/showitem-15958-25933.aspx

Bought these this morning. Already have half inch set from 12-32mm in deep and shallow plus extensions.
Starting the 3/8 now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420732277986.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420732277986.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 95
Back