cyclist's a dangerous problem

No bike tracks in east cork but I’m out early to make the most of the quiet roads. 40km done already.

Invested in some powerful lights to make the job safer.

Both rechargeable. The front one lights up roads signs 80ft away in daylight. It’s 1870 lumens.

The rear one is extremely bright too.

was anyone else slowly scrolling down the page thinking "please dont post a pic of yourself in lycra"

For those of you on Facebook, do you think it would have been good manners and courteous for the cyclist to lift his bike onto the verge until the truck passed?
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=364362067485503
It would be no hardship for him to take to the verge, what does he expect to happen, they both sit there indefinitely. Reminds me of an incident I had one day when drawing beet, similar type of road maybe a small bit wider would just allow 2 cars to pass, car comes against me and passes a gateway he could have pulled into and stops up gesturing through the windscreen, whats up with this fellow I wonder so get out and walk to his door, he opens the window a crack as I ask him is he able to reverse back to the gateway, he then decides to tell me I shouldn't be on the road with a truck, taxed, insured, public road with no restriction signs or any reason for me not to use is so I walked away back to the truck and switched it off and got out a magazine to read as if I was to reverse it would have been best part of half a mile around blind bends to the nearest junction, maybe 10 minutes passed and he is still sitting there, next thing there is a knock on my door and a woman standing there want's to know if I've broken down, I tell her the story and she goes to talk to our man then comes back to me saying he is going to back up but not to the gateway, he backs all the way to the next junction which I reckon he did in the hope something would come behind him so he could get another on his side, proper bollix.

For those of you on Facebook, do you think it would have been good manners and courteous for the cyclist to lift his bike onto the verge until the truck passed?
You see by law the cyclist is entitled to a meter if the limit is 50km/hr and as thats not in a speed zone the limit is most likely 80km so the cyclist needs 1.5 meters. The trucker is clearly at fault not engaging his hover mode or some such gadget to give the poor cyclist his space that he's entitled to,,,,,,,,,, wanker and a prick that he is :rolleyes2:.

It would be no hardship for him to take to the verge, what does he expect to happen, they both sit there indefinitely. Reminds me of an incident I had one day when drawing beet, similar type of road maybe a small bit wider would just allow 2 cars to pass, car comes against me and passes a gateway he could have pulled into and stops up gesturing through the windscreen, whats up with this fellow I wonder so get out and walk to his door, he opens the window a crack as I ask him is he able to reverse back to the gateway, he then decides to tell me I shouldn't be on the road with a truck, taxed, insured, public road with no restriction signs or any reason for me not to use is so I walked away back to the truck and switched it off and got out a magazine to read as if I was to reverse it would have been best part of half a mile around blind bends to the nearest junction, maybe 10 minutes passed and he is still sitting there, next thing there is a knock on my door and a woman standing there want's to know if I've broken down, I tell her the story and she goes to talk to our man then comes back to me saying he is going to back up but not to the gateway, he backs all the way to the next junction which I reckon he did in the hope something would come behind him so he could get another on his side, proper bollix.

Urban myth or not, something similar happened here with a tractor and trailer.

Driver took out the flask,.paper and the two legs on the steering wheel until there was some action :laugh:

Driver took out the flask,.paper and the two legs on the steering wheel until there was some action :laugh:
I know a fella that got his brother to come sit in the tractor while he went home for the dinner. It was two neighbors and he used give us a hand with his combine and when we were moving field I always made sure our combine was first on the road in case there was another Mexican standoff and it was a fine evening.

A good friend of mine who passed away last year used to say, when you're going somewhere, you never need to bring a gobshite with you, because no matter where you go, you'll find one there. They are in plentiful supply. The fact that this guy is riding a bike is irrelevant. If he was walking, driving a car or driving a tractor he'd do the same thing. And he'd still be a gobshite.

Saw the same happen here with two cars! To ladies sat there for quite a while. Both with an equal distance to reverse!
I was riding my bike past so left them to it!

Is that a footpath or a cycle path?

For the speed that cyclists do, the path doesn’t look so good. If it’s a footpath then a racing bike has no place on it.

My main concern is that the cyclist doesn’t appear to have a bright rear light. Absolutely essential day or night on a road.

Is that a footpath or a cycle path?

For the speed that cyclists do, the path doesn’t look so good. If it’s a footpath then a racing bike has no place on it.

My main concern is that the cyclist doesn’t appear to have a bright rear light. Absolutely essential day or night on a road.
It's a cycle path but tbf people walk on it not idea for the fast cyclist what annoyed me was black pants black bike black helmet and yellow and black top no form of marker or light and it was starting to get dark just after a heavy shower of rain

Back