The reseeding thread

Going to trow in about 10 acres of seed this year want something that will grow massive crop for two cuts one late may june and again first week of September.
Any suggestions. On what sort of mix
Gettin on quite well with the premium one cut and graze from glanbia, but it will shoot out fairly rapid the end of may. We're taking one cut round the end of may then graze some of it and put some back in for 2nd cut. The second cut is generally more so done when we need to get more grass back to graze rather than being a specific date, once whatever fert has been put out is theoretically used up

Just after reserving here about 2 weeks ago now. Just sprayed off the field, spread 2 bags of granlime, 2 bags of 10/10/20, got the seed stitched in using a horsh drill at a rate of 18kg per account, rolled it with a silage roller and out then with 2 bags of can and a bag of slug pellets mixed in. It's up at the moment tipping along.
20170830_120939.jpg
20170829_165740.jpg

Attachments

• 20170829_165719.jpg
    20170829_165719.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 149
Sowed a few bits from 28 Aug to 02 sept. With an Erth stitcher. The bits that was done on paddocks not sprayed off on poached ground are flying. The bits done that were burnt off limed and fertiliser are coming very slow. Walked it today so 7 weeks. Some of grass only striking now and in last few days. Want to get to bottom of it as alot to do next year. Was talking to seed man and erth and teagasc and only common thing anyone saying is drought. Fingers pointing at everything but seed is in ground and even amount as put out correct kg to acre. Striking but why only some now? Drought? Or some other reason? Every day is a school day so any input welcome

Attachments

• 20181018_140720.jpg
    20181018_140720.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 143
Sowed a few bits from 28 Aug to 02 sept. With an Erth stitcher. The bits that was done on paddocks not sprayed off on poached ground are flying. The bits done that were burnt off limed and fertiliser are coming very slow. Walked it today so 7 weeks. Some of grass only striking now and in last few days. Want to get to bottom of it as alot to do next year. Was talking to seed man and erth and teagasc and only common thing anyone saying is drought. Fingers pointing at everything but seed is in ground and even amount as put out correct kg to acre. Striking but why only some now? Drought? Or some other reason? Every day is a school day so any input welcome
there is allot of trash about there, little seeds dont do very well in such and environment. spraying at drilling can often give much better results. on saying that, if it doesnt rain seeds cant grow. are you sure thats not annual meadow grass striking?

there is allot of trash about there, little seeds dont do very well in such and environment. spraying at drilling can often give much better results. on saying that, if it doesnt rain seeds cant grow. are you sure thats not annual meadow grass striking?

No defo the new seed coming. There is serious trash on the ground makes it look worse than is in places. Rain up our way last month is very small and few days it did rain was so heavy just ran off the ground. Even the field that were mowed for silage around same time are struggling to come back. Ground I stitched 14 days earlier has been grazed and ready for second grazing. But it got a full weeks rain after been done and is heavy ground anyway pic below.
Is spraying off after seeding safe or is it risky or what's process?

Attachments

• 20181010_160936.jpg
    20181010_160936.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 131
No defo the new seed coming. There is serious trash on the ground makes it look worse than is in places. Rain up our way last month is very small and few days it did rain was so heavy just ran off the ground. Even the field that were mowed for silage around same time are struggling to come back. Ground I stitched 14 days earlier has been grazed and ready for second grazing. But it got a full weeks rain after been done and is heavy ground anyway pic below.
Is spraying off after seeding safe or is it risky or what's process?

No help to you and unrelated to topic but is that ground between lavey and cross keys?

Heres some pics of 30 acres that was sown about 6 weeks ago for the BIL

Attached Files:

Attachments

• 20181111_100151-560x1152.jpg
    20181111_100151-560x1152.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 20181111_095912-1152x560.jpg
    20181111_095912-1152x560.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 20181111_100001-1152x560.jpg
    20181111_100001-1152x560.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 20181111_100143-560x1152.jpg
    20181111_100143-560x1152.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 20180915_171547-1152x864.jpg
    20180915_171547-1152x864.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 193
Heres some pics of 30 acres that was sown about 6 weeks ago for the BIL

Attached Files:

Hey mate, was that field ploughed or just trash sprayed out? Wnd only sowed with harrows? I am keen to import a 6 metre folding harrow as i hwve a few jobs it can do.

Cheers, Ant

Hey mate, was that field ploughed or just trash sprayed out? Wnd only sowed with harrows? I am keen to import a 6 metre folding harrow as i hwve a few jobs it can do.

Cheers, Ant
Was sprayed off and given 1 run of a powerharrow. Oversown then with the harrow

Weather dependent of course but what would be the earliest lads would go reseeding.
Would ideally like to get some done this spring but need it for silage so would hope to get it going as early as possible to avoid losing out on the best of the growth in the early summer.
Would hope then that the benefit from reseeded ground in the autumn would make up for any loss in the spring.

Would not be an expert myself but i have read of highly stocked farm aim to have seed in around the longest day of the year .Saying that you might not have much luck if you get june or july like last year!!!

I put in grass seeds 25the March one year, the place I bought them from said it was too early but they grew the finest, in fact it was the best establishment of clover I ever had in a reseed, once the soil temp is good enough to grow them they should fly it.

I put in grass seeds 25the March one year, the place I bought them from said it was too early but they grew the finest, in fact it was the best establishment of clover I ever had in a reseed, once the soil temp is good enough to grow them they should fly it.
Risk of frost would be the biggest thing I'd imagine. If the temperature was up and ground conditions were good should be set up for a few decent cuts off it getting in that early.
Would you nearly get as much or more grass than off the old pasture?

Cut your silage early then reseed. Keeping a new let for meadow isn't good for tillering.
I have some grass in a dry February and it was fine after

Hi all

Just to let you know that there’s a grass reseeding demo on in Wexford tomorrow, forecast looks like it’ll play ball!

83386A04-158C-4E70-9EC8-97BC6E898584.png

Thanks to @humungus for attending earlier. It was only later that the penny dropped.... your face looked familiar but I couldn’t place you :scratchhead:

I thought it was a great morning, hope you enjoyed it.

33014882-26EB-4832-B0F9-8D9519054996.jpeg
9FF5D87B-4BD2-44F9-8844-5A0F11079B70.jpeg

Thanks to @humungus for attending earlier. It was only later that the penny dropped.... your face looked familiar but I couldn’t place you :scratchhead:

I thought it was a great morning, hope you enjoyed it.

View attachment 64705 View attachment 64706
was late arriving but found the talks interesting and got a free jacket from you as well :woot: its not often corkmen give anything away , hadn,t eaten anything all day as i was sure you,d be feeding us :laugh:

was late arriving but found the talks interesting and got a free jacket from you as well :woot: its not often corkmen give anything away , hadn,t eaten anything all day as i was sure you,d be feeding us :laugh:

Us Cork lads have our dinner at 8 in the morning, ye need to catch up :smile:

bad form on bogmans behalf, just down the road and he didn,t give you a bit of support :whistle:

He heard it was a dusty field, the helicopter would cause a dust storm.

He invited us down afterward, we enjoyed caviar and fine wines on the balcony of his suite. It was very nice.

Back