Cover Crops 3.0

The cows are gone by the first of February so the penalty clauses did not have to kick in . I could have done with the €500 a day to keep the boiler going during the cold spell.

You could charge for the feeder and wire :Whistle2:

IMG_20190202_110820.jpg
Bottom picture was taken last May. Field was after beet. Not ideal ploughing conditions. I'm sure it was the last field I had to do and I left it as long as I could. I was thinking nothing much is going to come out of this. It went on to produce a 2.8t crop of malting barley. It must have retained alot of the moisture in the soil during the drought. Step forward to today for the top pic. The dry summer, less traffic and a cover crop make a big difference to the structure.

View attachment 62772
Bottom picture was taken last May. Field was after beet. Not ideal ploughing conditions. I'm sure it was the last field I had to do and I left it as long as I could. I was thinking nothing much is going to come out of this. It went on to produce a 2.8t crop of malting barley. It must have retained alot of the moisture in the soil during the drought. Step forward to today for the top pic. The dry summer, less traffic and a cover crop make a big difference to the structure.
Next thing you know you'll be thinking jesus you could drill straight into that. Save alot of time and money and keep your soil structure in place:wink::woot:

DF507B56-E3AB-42DD-8D4B-F10CB06D71EA.jpeg
Picking stones with a 200hp tractor, tri axle trailer and a Volvo loader, by god no half measures in Carlow....
Even better than that I got three ash trees that blew down and dropped them in the Haggard so I have next winters firing sorted and it’s still only February and still have time to head down to Lyrath for an afternoon snack which was only spoiled by a man ringing me looking to put slurry on the field. Sure what could go wrong. .The responsibilitys of being a Barley Baron are a burden so we need to look after ourselves.

View attachment 63085
Even better than that I got three ash trees that blew down and dropped them in the Haggard so I have next winters firing sorted and it’s still only February and still have time to head down to Lyrath for an afternoon snack which was only spoiled by a man ringing me looking to put slurry on the field. Sure what could go wrong. .The responsibilitys of being a Barley Baron are a burden so we need to look after ourselves.
The next time the Ifa want to march on leinster house over poor prices and deteriorating living standards in the farming community they may have to delete your account on here!!!

View attachment 63085

I’m taking note of the items on the table.

Were you getting busy 9 months ago when conditions weren’t suitable for field work....?:wink:

Back