Few pictures of stuff

Should be here in Nov. The straw chopper is one of the reasons for going for this one. New grain pan, elevator chains 2 new knives and a lot of other parts recently done. Not a spec of rust anywhere on it and we did examine it in minute detail. Hydro trans and a first for me with a combine, an AC cab :smile:. Big open fields and a dry climate mean it has no rust and no dents. It really is a credit to it's original owner. Apparently after we left his yard he phoned up the salesman saying to make sure we weren't going to leave it out to rot when it gets here. I did show him pictures and videos of the 520 working on my phone which got him quiet excited and he got his wife to get videos of the 865 and the MF rotary they also had working together at wheat on her iPad. A very nice very interesting man and it was just a pity none of us have French and neither the farmer nor his wife had English.

I'd also like to say thanks to the member here without who's invaluable translating and knowledge of all things French we wouldn't have gotten any further then looking at the website where that machine was advertised for sale. He also brokered the deal for us and did an excellent job it has to be said and wouldn't hear of charging for his time.
Thanks J and I'll leave it to yourself if you wish to be say it was you :Thumbp2:.
Have you the video?

Looks like youv,e found a right good one dp it has to be a far better climate for a combine ,I,v always said I would never buy an Ayrshire combine hoping it does you well and the tanks are full the first time round every 10 acres :laugh:
Thanks S. It has a good capacity grain tank so I'd be delighted if it's full on each round of a ten acre field :thumbup:

This is on a claas avero.
View attachment 69877
We had to follow this outfit and fortunately he was only ploughing just up the road and he insisted that one of us take it for a run down the field.
View attachment 69878 View attachment 69879 View attachment 69880 View attachment 69881
250hp in the claas and it wanted everyone one of them. View attachment 69882
What Massey was on the plough, a 8732? It's a serious tractor. Well wear with the new combine she looks as new.

What Massey was on the plough, a 8732? It's a serious tractor. Well wear with the new combine she looks as new.
Jesus you have me there, it's bigger then a 8732, I'm going to say 8775 if that sounds right. The driver of it told us it's 380hp. It certainly made less then nothing of lifting and pulling that 7 furrow. Thanks, it is a tidy example.

What year is it?

The styling of those older masseys is spot on, but that one is so clean and well shod it nearly seems newer than what I'd think the styling is. It looks immaculate.

saw three of that style working in line in a field a few years back in France, was a sight to see.

Well may you wear

Well wear dp . Fine clean example . Think that tractor was an 8735 if i remember your snapchat pic correctly .
Jesus you have me there, it's bigger then a 8732, I'm going to say 8775 if that sounds right. The driver of it told us it's 380hp. It certainly made less then nothing of lifting and pulling that 7 furrow. Thanks, it is a tidy example.

The lengths you go to to give the neighbours something to talk about :rolleyes2:.
Well may you wear dp.
Have you strapped the Dodge to the back of the combine? Same as someone did with their motorbike...

I'll just casually drop these in here. A few here have deduced the reason behind my trip.
View attachment 69886 View attachment 69887 View attachment 69888
Sure looks to be a well minded machine. Designed and built when MF made a combine as opposed to painting someone elses.

An estate in Wiltshire ran a pair back in the 80s. People used to just stop their cars on the side of the road and get out to have a look or take photos.
They do have a good look about them , especially from the front .
I dont suppose as much of the R&D budget went into aesthetics back then as it does today either.
Good luck with her.

Well wear DP, will the 520 be kept as a spare now or to increase capacity? Nice to get a combine in such good condition, it's hard to get them that fresh.

Thanks lads. Ones as clean as this one are getting thinner on the ground every year. The climate would be a major factor in rust free examples. This one never cut maize either so the usual wear isn't there. If it had been a maize machine I wouldn't have gone to see it.
@MF30 I'll be keeping the 520 for now. It's probably worth very little to sell on and for the amount of work I've put into it since buying it I know it needs pretty much nothing to be done for some time to come to keep it going.

What year is it?

The styling of those older masseys is spot on, but that one is so clean and well shod it nearly seems newer than what I'd think the styling is. It looks immaculate.

saw three of that style working in line in a field a few years back in France, was a sight to see.

Well may you wear
1988 the owner said. That one is one of the last 6 ever built. Oversize wheels all round on it.

@nashmach she's a V8. I couldn't be seen buying anything else :laugh:.

Well wear with your recent purchase DP, it looks the part anyway. Does it have the saddle type grain tank? Many years ago my father had a MF combine and that was one thing he really liked about it.

Thanks lads. Ones as clean as this one are getting thinner on the ground every year. The climate would be a major factor in rust free examples. This one never cut maize either so the usual wear isn't there. If it had been a maize machine I wouldn't have gone to see it.
@MF30 I'll be keeping the 520 for now. It's probably worth very little to sell on and for the amount of work I've put into it since buying it I know it needs pretty much nothing to be done for some time to come to keep it going.
Meant to ask are many of the bearings greasable on it? Our MF307 had only one daily grease nipple on the cutter bar, then just one on the transmission vari pulley and one on the engine output shaft which were 50 hour greasing times. Rear axle had 3 and that was about it. Don't know if MF were trying to go maintenance free or what but I'd prefer to put a shot in every bearing daily for peace of mind.

Well wear with your recent purchase DP, it looks the part anyway. Does it have the saddle type grain tank? Many years ago my father had a MF combine and that was one thing he really liked about it.
Thanks. Yeah it does have the saddle type grain tank. All the MF's of old were basically the same general design.

Meant to ask are many of the bearings greasable on it? Our MF307 had only one daily grease nipple on the cutter bar, then just one on the transmission vari pulley and one on the engine output shaft which were 50 hour greasing times. Rear axle had 3 and that was about it. Don't know if MF were trying to go maintenance free or what but I'd prefer to put a shot in every bearing daily for peace of mind.
You have me there MF. The walker cranks are greaseable as are all the moving parts of the unloader system. I didn't really look for them on the rest of the machine but given the acres it was designed to cut I'd say it has more.
On the 520 there's 3 grease points in the engine bay that are every 8 hours and one thats every 50 and 3 more every 250 hours. 6 on the rear axle and 7 on the header and on the vari pulleys as well as the spring loaded belt tensioners around the combine. There's one under the seat as well on the main output shaft. Not sure what the interval is supposed to be for it but I grease it every day. Oh and there's 3 more underneath the machine at the gearbox. 2 are for the clutch fork and one either greases the thrust bearing or what it slides on. Oh and 2 more on the front offsets that adjust the concave up and down. I think thats them all :sweat:

Back