Grass Growth Rates

125 for the last 7 days. Grass quality is the issue but at least we have plenty of it

Are you seeing things turning inside out in the past week down there? Certainly the case here anyway, swards bulking and huge growth on wetter ground. Aftergrass coming quickly too!

Quality is an issue but 10 days should sort that plus topping and the paddocks baled today.

Similair here . went back to 75. Still had to tale out a paddock for cutting because demand has dropped accordingly. The thundershowers yesterday should help things along,epeciallu aftergrass

just growing stem away here. hard to get a pigtail post into the ground. Sowing yesterday and the dust was something else

Similair here . went back to 75. Still had to tale out a paddock for cutting because demand has dropped accordingly. The thundershowers yesterday should help things along,epeciallu aftergrass
Done a measure there today again. That one was 5 days old. Growth in 50's but thats held back a lot by a lot of silage ground thats still greening up

Dare I say it but is anyone getting very tight on grass? I am.....
No. Thunder shower on friday helped big time. Has been a way duller here last few days in west so ground isnt drying out as fast. Rain on wednesday should help things along.could have been real tight only for that rain. A lot of surplus was cut around tje time of first cut and was very little regrowth a while but its recovered since and another week or 10 days and therell be aftergrass(hopefully)

There are lads caught here that were never caught before.

I'd be the cautious type and will only scrape out after feeding extra meal and straw and getting out a few smaller cattle earlier.

I dont think this is the time for finger pointing, it's a case of getting everyone through this and we can catch our breath and start preparing for next winter.

Oh and one final note. The first person next june/July to say its too dry or hot is getting a belt of a steel bar!!!

:laugh::laugh:

It's gone from one extreme to the other.

IMG_7736.JPG

Grazing aftergrass here. Recovery has slowed a lot.

Getting tight enough but with drystock it's not as much a problem as dairy, took a lot of surplus out with the first cut so much so that I don't need a second cut but that ground is slow to recover, the rest is cleaning out well so should come back good with a drop of rain though not much forecast other than a spit on Thursday, it was easy mow the lawn yesterday, less than half the usual cut.

Ya tight on grass here as well I've an 8acre field in front of them in 3days time I'd rather not give it to the cows as it's gone to silage but I've only covers of 500-700 across farm due to ground been poached and now lack of water ! Just one shower would do !

We escaped all those showers over the last 10 days, grazing after grass cut 3 weeks ago, cows flying through it a lot faster than hoped. Cut 2 paddocks 10 days ago that should have been grazed in hindsight. I see a massive fodder crisis next winter on the horizon all across this area.

We escaped all those showers over the last 10 days, grazing after grass cut 3 weeks ago, cows flying through it a lot faster than hoped. Cut 2 paddocks 10 days ago that should have been grazed in hindsight. I see a massive fodder crisis next winter on the horizon all across this area.
Ya I was even saying today I might even have to start feeding silage rather than force them to eat that 8acre field

I think feeding could be in demand in most places. We are not growing as much grass as we should be for this time of year.

Growth is at an absolute standstill here since the weekend. It doesn't concern me greatly. I'd be happy with continued dry weather. My ground that's in permanent pasture for glas and cannot be topped would feed my stock for the next month without any regrowth. Its not ideal but its OK for suckler cows. I believe we are to get rain today. The wind has certainly changed. It was coming from the north east and this morning its coming from the south west. A sure sign of rain.

Back