Grass Growth Rates

Discussion in 'Grassland Management' started by nashmach, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Ozzy Scott

Ozzy Scott Well-Known Member

Is there another Ireland somewhere else in the world, that all the twitter heros are farming on, as they always seem to be cutting grass and blowing how much they are growing

Blackwater boy and jpt like this.
  2. Blackwater boy

Blackwater boy Moderator

Who do you get to test and what do they test for?
    Demand is outstripping supply here, heifers will have to go into a field tomorrow that a week ago I taught I could skip and bale but cannot now, cows are in covers far too heavy and it's hitting the bulk tank but ground grazed 10-15 days has feic all on it

3. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

Same craic here on dry ground Blackwater Boy. Wet ground is bombing along nicely, just a shame it's wet enough underfoot still.

The rain here last Friday did a lot of harm to our drier fields.

4. Ozzy Scott

get it tested for pretty much everything, it allows me see what the ground is putting into the plant and also what im feeding the animals or ensiling.

5. Ozzy Scott

when you mention demand, is this whole farm demand, or demand with the silage ground taken out?? I usually dont work out my demand, but my whole farm demand at the moment is around 70, :sad:. I blame teagasc for my stupidity

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  6. Liamo

Liamo Well-Known Member

Very similar fert and slurry here , cows are in what I'd hoped to cut , all the grazing ground is lacking in something with the last week .

7. bruceythom

bruceythom Well-Known Member

Demand is the milking Grazing block less ground held up for silage. That would be a very high demand IMV.
    I don't blame teagasc, I am perfectly capable of being an imbecile without their assistance!

8. bruceythom

bruceythom Well-Known Member

Actually, now that ye guys have pointed out poor growth, from my last measure its my driest paddocks that are performing the poorest, and they're certainly not moisture deficent...... ?? Approx 85 units of N spread, 15 units of S, 15 units of P, 30 units of K, and 3000 gallons of slurry. No lime out yet.

9. Blackwater boy

Blackwater boy Moderator

My driest are poor also. I wonder is it the fact it was poached on first and second round now coming back to haunt us and compaction coupled with low temps and saturated ground maybe. My wet ground is growing away fine too, this ground is only grazed once at best and has received half the N P and K of the good ground which really makes me think it’s compaction

10. Ozzy Scott

its just whats happening overhead us that we have no control over, timothy grass is flying which leads me to believe its cold related issues holding the ryegrass (holding and looking deficient are 2 different things:scratchhead:).

11. 6600

6600 Well-Known Member

Would you mind saying what you've spread so far this year Ozzy? Did you say you spread 300 units of N/ac? Do you block graze or have paddocks. I'd say 200 units maybe a little more is what we spread. We're stocked at 3.2+
    This year is doing my nut. Still using the strip wire. Wet ground is only being grazed for the first time now and has too much on it leaving a mess behind. Have spread a bag of urea in Feb, and two bags of Can and 1.5 bags of 18.6.12 so far on the grazing ground. Growth was abysmal up to now but you have to hit it hard early. The reserve N is bringing big growth now. Grass just won't grow without it.

Can relax the fert from now on. Have the N on the silage ground since mid April and put the NPK on in March. It was wet but I put it out anyway. Got a good response too. 100 units total. Will be ready to cut in 10 days.

12. johndeere6920s

johndeere6920s Well-Known Member

A place that was mowed 10 days ago is stilk the same color it was that day
    It hasnt greened up atal

13. Green Grass

Green Grass Well-Known Member

Do you need to spread extra p and k after you spread lime???? I heard some where that lime can lock up p and k in high index soil tests and extra p and k needs to be spread as a result

14. Blackwater boy

Blackwater boy Moderator

I came across sulphur deficiency this morn in winter wheat, it has got 160 units of N in total but no sulphur, I never saw it before so maybe that's an indication that soil S levels are extremely low

gone likes this.
  15. muckymanor

muckymanor Well-Known Member

Any research that I have ever read on spreading lime is that it unlocks P and K

16. Ozzy Scott

I usually apply 1 part sulphur to 4 parts nitrogen on average

17. kverneland es 80

kverneland es 80 Well-Known Member

cover for today

Attached Files:

gone, nashmach and muckymanor like this.
  18. Blackwater boy

Blackwater boy Moderator

That's not opening for me G

19. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

It's a PDF, wouldn't work on the phone earlier but fine on the tablet.

20. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Well-Known Member

Growth 85 this week and not before time as cover is still at 128/cow. Demand sitting around 72 so should grow the cover somewhat this week. Maybe with all the famine this spring we'll be in for a feast

21. Ozzy Scott

hopefully, as long as we dont get a dry summer around here:ohmy:. Talking to dairy lad with tidy operation of 80 cows, he has all but 12ac of his first cut silage zero grazed. another man that would usually have first cut done by may day, only got the fertiliser out two weeks ago and will be a full cut of silage down.

22. jf 850

jf 850 Well-Known Member

Grass has developed a great colour yesterday and today , and seems to have jumped out of the ground , finally.
    A few days of that would turn around things quickly , and do man and beast a power of good.

Just seen weather forecast and giving rain for Sunday and Monday . 13 degrees on Monday. :no:

nashmach, Blackwater boy and gone like this.
  23. jay gatsby

jay gatsby Well-Known Member

24. Ozzy Scott

were you guys up there not getting seriously low nightly temperatures along with wind to have those growth rates?

25. jay gatsby

jay gatsby Well-Known Member

Up till 4 or 5 days ago we had but there has been a massive increase in growth over the last week to my eye.
    Quite a bit of silage down at this stage and most farms seem to be increasing covers at last .