Irish Presidential Election

So what's the prediction on turnout, 35%??

I can see Casey coming second myself which is pathetic when you consider he's not paying any tax in this country....

As for next time, will FG be brave enough to go with Enda???? I think John Bruton will be close to Michael D's age by then.

It really makes a mockery of Mary Lou's assertion that an election had to be held this time around.

Enda would probably make a better president than taoiseach (he wasnt the worst at that job to be fair) he's got that air about him.

Mary Lou's plans had nothing to do with democracy and everything to do with raising there profile, look at all the air time liadh ni riada got with no-one representing a political party opposite her on screen. No different to being the only politician I saw to put their face on 8th amendment posters. it's all about the profile.

It's almost impossible to have a substantive debate with 6 participants anyway no matter who they are. Once you go above 3 or 4 it almost always comes across as squabbling with everyone just trying to be heard

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/news...rom-european-union/ar-BBOR2zp?ocid=spartanntp
Didn't see the debate but it sound like it was the equivalent of a bunch of kids squabbling in the schoolyard and telling fibs...
Saw some of it and it was a joke tbh. I wonder what will Gallagher do for the next 7 years :rolleyes2:

Despite what @JohnBoy says, I think SF come out of this with egg on their face.
Three dragons, a woman that looks cross all the time, and a sitting president pushing 80, who picks and chooses what questions he will answer, and they couldnt come up with a candidate that blew at least the other challengers out of the water (no pun intended)

Saw some of it and it was a joke tbh. I wonder what will Gallagher do for the next 7 years :rolleyes2:

Despite what @JohnBoy says, I think SF come out of this with egg on their face.
Three dragons, a woman that looks cross all the time, and a sitting president pushing 80, who picks and chooses what questions he will answer, and they couldnt come up with a candidate that blew at least the other challengers out of the water (no pun intended)

If the opinion polls are to be believed, SF Will do a lot of soul searching to understand why their vote is so much lower than the general polls.

I reckon Peter casey could be a close second place.

Sinn fein, envelope, depression, and Duffy should of stayed at home

I voted around 4:30. The local place had an 18% turnout at that point.

Voted Michael D & No.

Second Place with about 21%. If he was a 1% before his traveler speech there are 20% of the voters agree with him because there is no other reason why they should vote for him .
I voted for Casey as a kind of protest voter, not purely for the anti traveller thing which was totally blown out of proportion, but because he stood up for rural Ireland in a way. He could never top the poll but by increasing his vote from 2% to 21% it should awaken our politicians that people aren’t afraid to go against the system and are generally sick of the PC brigade and the general grafter being the last on the list of people to look after. The thing I disagreed with Casey on was he wanted to get rid of the Navy which was more ridiculous than any of his other comments.

I voted for Casey as a kind of protest voter, not purely for the anti traveller thing which was totally blown out of proportion, but because he stood up for rural Ireland in a way. He could never top the poll but by increasing his vote from 2% to 21% it should awaken our politicians that people aren’t afraid to go against the system and are generally sick of the PC brigade and the general grafter being the last on the list of people to look after. The thing I disagreed with Casey on was he wanted to get rid of the Navy which was more ridiculous than any of his other comments.

Leo varadkars comments on how he felt people should vote against casey probably actually helped casey too!

Aside of the result it looks as if about half the voting public couldn't be bothered to vote, is that democracy :scratchhead:

Disappointment for everyone bar Casey.

Probably pulled votes from Higgins due to Varadker putting his nose In.

Still surprised The projected turnout Is so high and The blasphemy vote Is so high.

Voted here with ten minutes to spare. The local area would Be Very strong turnout traditionally but seemed to Be quite a few blanks On It. It picked up After 6 I Was told.

I'm not knocking you but isn't that how Trump got elected.
Yes but our president has little power anyway so even if we voted in spongebob squarepants it wouldn’t change the direction of the country, there were always going to be enough sheep to vote in Michael.D, I put him as number 2 just incase of some huge turn in favour of the gombeen Sean Gallagher. There was no proper rival anyway but I hope the message from the Peter Casey vote opens eyes and I found it reassuring that someone wasn’t afraid to speak their mind for once and not back down under the first bit of pressure from the powers that be.

Last edited:
People working hard and paying tax. And everytime they turn on the telly or open a newspaper there's some yoke with six or eleven children looking for a free house.
Some fair parasites around the place.

That type should get compulsory free sterilization after 3 children , 2 preferably.
Theres a lad locally never "worked" a day in his life , well never for anything only cash < bad back don't you know.
Hes the anchor on the Tug Of War team :scratchhead:
His eldest lad was disgusted when he had to wait a couple of months before signing on , after his leaving cert. And there are 4 more to follow in the family footsteps.

Back