Jr perry

Jackie Cummins.
He started Laois Tractor Services around 1984 or 85 , in part of the building where Irish Dairy Services , who are feeding half of Ireland cows with their batch feeders , operate from now , 1st building on the left coming into Portlaoise on the old Mountrath Road .
Laois Tractor Services had Deutz Fahr agency for a period . Lasted 5 or 6 years .
Jackie was in The UK for a period after that , as a rep for some of Irish Machinery manufacturers, possibly Hi-Spec ?

In latter years he had some involvement in LSM , who made pasture toppers , but were better known for making cardboard balers , just outside Portlaoise , near The Sawmill.

Jackie Cummins.
He started Laois Tractor Services around 1984 or 85 , in part of the building where Irish Dairy Services , who are feeding half of Ireland cows with their batch feeders , operate from now , 1st building on the left coming into Portlaoise on the old Mountrath Road .
Laois Tractor Services had Deutz Fahr agency for a period . Lasted 5 or 6 years .
Jackie was in The UK for a period after that , as a rep for some of Irish Machinery manufacturers, possibly Hi-Spec ?

In latter years he had some involvement in LSM , who made pasture toppers , but were better known for making cardboard balers , just outside Portlaoise , near The Sawmill.
Jackie was with Hi-Spec as was his son in the UK. I know both very well. He spent a short time selling a feeder from Israel and his son started LSM with another man and have a number employed. Great character was Jackie. He often told a story about the first XR2i coming into Perry's and taking it out for a spin, overtaking BMW or Mercedes and seeing the look on said driver as the fiesta passed by.

You'd want some set of balls in new Holland UK/Ireland to give them the boot. I don't see what the issue is anyways. Lyons and Burton were selling nh anyway. Were dealers afraid that they would be selling outside their area?

I never heard of anyone locally who wasn't looked after on a machine bought from Donohoes. I think the above comment gives the unfair impression that the dealer is dishonest.

Let me be clear, that's certainly not my point.

The time for such an appointment was when EMC closed and before the current Case dealership hoovered up sales left right and centre, it's going to be difficult to stem that tide. None of us are privy to that though!

I dont think anyone can argue that sales of Deutzs were particularly fantastic either for what I would rate as a good product but pricing may be an element of that.

As I've commented on here before, it's not as if there is not enough dealers in Enniscorthy already!

Seems mad with new Holland only 17 miles away for ostensibly the same tractor.
And while Buckleys have gone through quite a few different brands, including Case, they are in business a LONG time
I wish Shines the best but I wouldnt be at all surprised if the Tralee branch only lasted a few years in such a cut throat market.

Let me be clear, that's certainly not my point.

The time for such an appointment was when EMC closed and before the current Case dealership hoovered up sales left right and centre, it's going to be difficult to stem that tide. None of us are privy to that though!

I dont think anyone can argue that sales of Deutzs were particularly fantastic either for what I would rate as a good product but pricing may be an element of that.

As I've commented on here before, it's not as if there is not enough dealers in Enniscorthy already!
I agree with what you say but think that to be the fault of NH rather than the new Dealer.

And while Buckleys have gone through quite a few different brands, including Case, they are in business a LONG time
I wish Shines the best but I wouldnt be at all surprised if the Tralee branch only lasted a few years in such a cut throat market.
There is plenty room for them all and what cut troat market are you on about .
The prices of s/h machinery and tractors by main dealers in Kerry is scandalous maybe Shine will shake things up a bit .Best of luck to him anyway

There is plenty room for them all and what cut troat market are you on about .
The prices of s/h machinery and tractors by main dealers in Kerry is scandalous maybe Shine will shake things up a bit .Best of luck to him anyway
Cut Throat was probably the wrong term, but what I mean is it cant be an easy business to be jumping in to, and more especially at a time like this

Setting up and staffing 2 depots along with all the running costs of said locations like rent. rates, insurance, vans etc

Stocking with machines and parts

Trying to sell tractors that are mega money now, and faced with giving huge money for trade ins to win the sale (which could well have hidden faults and turn the whole deal sour)

Being at the mercy of the manufacturer who seem very trigger happy to pull the agency if you dont sing to their tune.

It might well be a licence to make a fortune, but the costs involved must be eye watering.

Last edited:
Back