Power Harrows

Id imagine powerharrows are like mowers,tricky buying s/h unless you know the history.

Its a big job strip a kuhn harrow to do a bearing i know.the first one i had was bougjt clean ex uk and did a fair bit before problems occurred.
Bought a new one around 8 years ago and its been trouble free but acreage wouldn't be huge.one set of tines per year now as the amazone catros is doing a lot of the work faster and cheaper than a powerharrow could but they still do great work in certain conditions

Reason i use power harrow is because i have a lot of corn on steep slops that a combine will only cut one direction. Trying to pull a conventional harrow up the hill would cause a lot of compaction from tyres digging in and also power loss. The power harrow one pass suits my land as it does not matter how steep a slop you sow. If my land was flatter then i would consider a amazone catros.

Have the zircon 10 here got 900 acres off a set of tines last season
Good harrow does good work.John a weir usually has a selection of them

Any leveling bar Baz. The KG i saw today had nothing front or back in it.

Kuhn 3002 here and made a levelling bar fir it. Wasn't a big job. When we bought it there were two tine holders worn so they had only 1 time on each and I'd say it was run a while like that so bearings were under pressure. Price was right so we took it knowing we'd have to do them at some stage and so stripped it this year thread in workshop section. A fair bit of work but not overly expensive to be fair. Very happy with it so far.

If you're shopping at the older end of the market, (where i'd be shopping) I'd price up a rebuild of the different options, they'll all need it at some stage.

Anecdotally I get the impression that kuhn are the cheapest for parts

I thought Kuhn were the daddy of them tbh. Lots of them used around here.

What about Kvernland power harrows? Never see any around or is that a sign maybe :undecided:

I thought Kuhn were the daddy of them tbh. Lots of them used around here.

What about Kvernland power harrows? Never see any around or is that a sign maybe :undecided:
KV are badge engineered I think.

Older ones had a very poor reputation.

Kuhn or lemken would be my choice, kuhn will not be cheap they have a good reputation, lemken as said are good, we did have trouble with one bearing but we were well looked after by lemken and leinster farm machinery, the lemken is better to till than the kuhn imo, 2 runs of a lemken would be as good as 3 of a kuhn, the extra rotors are a help, tines are expensive though, id imagine it would be hard enough to find a secondhand 3m lemken, amazone are very good too, we just never had one so only going on others opinions of them. As someone said is it really a power harrow that you want or would a disc be an option? How many acres per year will it be doing?

KV are badge engineered I think.

Older ones had a very poor reputation.
I worked with a tillage farmer years ago Nash and he was doing about 1500 acres a year at that time. It was all done with a KV power harrow. At the time he had it 3 seasons and couldn't praise it enough. I've no idea what model it was though.
Kuhn or lemken would be my choice, kuhn will not be cheap they have a good reputation, lemken as said are good, we did have trouble with one bearing but we were well looked after by lemken and leinster farm machinery, the lemken is better to till than the kuhn imo, 2 runs of a lemken would be as good as 3 of a kuhn, the extra rotors are a help, tines are expensive though, id imagine it would be hard enough to find a secondhand 3m lemken, amazone are very good too, we just never had one so only going on others opinions of them. As someone said is it really a power harrow that you want or would a disc be an option? How many acres per year will it be doing?

Thats the catch ithastopay. I don't do a lot of tillage, 100 odd acres a year. Both the brother and myself are doing reseeding of both places as well so we were thinking some sort of middling good power harrow would be a good job around the place. I don't mind going back in the years at all so long as it's reliable and parts can be got. A disc would be as much use as tits on a nun on the land around here. We have one anyway but very rarely use it.

I wouldn't be overly worried about a harrow being opened, particularly in a reputable dealers, it could be a sign that it was well gone through in the workshop before sale. Like anything in tillage gear you're taking your chances, a clean looking machine could still have thousands of acres gone through it or it might just have been used by a farmer to do a handy bit. Rabe lost their way for a few years alright but the heavy duty harrows would still be reliable machines, again depending on how much work they have done and how thoroughly they were checked by the dealer. At the end of the day DP isn't talking about putting hundreds of acres a year through it so anything that was reasonably fresh with handy acres done would be fine. For example the last one-pass I had myself was a Pottinger/Kongskilde, I picked it up for handy money because a lot of people would turn their noses up at it. It was a one farmer owner outfit with probably less than 1000 acres done from new though. The harrow did over 200 acres a year for me for a couple of years and I never had a problem with it, and I sold it again for pretty much what I paid for it.

Anyone any experience of a refurbed kuhn from andy guest ?

We have an old 4m kuhn that came from guest, done around 10,000 acre since we got it, needed a full set of bearings/seals into it last year but other than that no bother, how ever i've heard of a few newer ones giving bother.

Round here I know of 3 brand new kuhn machines that gave bother, one's been changed for a lemken one an amazone and the third a new kuhn. In all fairness I dont think theres a huge amount between them now but if you're looking at an oldish machine would probably say kuhn.

I worked with a tillage farmer years ago Nash and he was doing about 1500 acres a year at that time. It was all done with a KV power harrow. At the time he had it 3 seasons and couldn't praise it enough. I've no idea what model it was though.

Thats the catch ithastopay. I don't do a lot of tillage, 100 odd acres a year. Both the brother and myself are doing reseeding of both places as well so we were thinking some sort of middling good power harrow would be a good job around the place. I don't mind going back in the years at all so long as it's reliable and parts can be got. A disc would be as much use as tits on a nun on the land around here. We have one anyway but very rarely use it.

not wanting to derail this but why is the diec no good for ur ground, would like a power harrow or disc, just to have-think we would do more reseeding if it was at hand, but price is the main part and which harrow is worth a punt, still think buy and check it over in the shed might be best for all the work we might do.

A friend of mine is after buying a new amazon one pass he is selling his Kuhn power harrow and corn drill,it would be a ideal machine for you to buy as its a great yoke to sow grasseeds as well as corn and it has new tines on the power harrow,pm me if you want his number

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440620173.102024.jpg

About 8 of these in Kelly's of B. There a good while, most unused. You could pobably buy the 8 of them for the price of a secondhand Harrow. When one blows up, just go back to the yard and hitch up to another! When they're all in bits, sell the lot for €140/t.

View attachment 31798

About 8 of these in Kelly's of B. There a good while, most unused. You could pobably buy the 8 of them for the price of a secondhand Harrow. When one blows up, just go back to the yard and hitch up to another! When they're all in bits, sell the lot for €140/t.

What make are they? They have that 'been there for ages' look about them alright.

View attachment 31798

I did think of them alright [MENTION=2318]KJL[/MENTION] but there has to be something very wrong there. Surely someone like myself has enquired about them by now and yet as you say there laying there a long time now.

I did think of them alright [MENTION=2318]KJL[/MENTION] but there has to be something very wrong there. Surely someone like myself has enquired about them by now and yet as you say there laying there a long time now.

Have the heavy duty amazones here. They have not given trouble yet, one of them has a good few acres done. Kuhn times will fit them. We hire an extra harrow here every year. It is usually a lemken. With the lemken and amazone going up the field side by side it's noticeable that the lemken is doing better work. They are very popular around here.

No idea. Must be a story behind then.

Suppose they became agents once apon a time & bought in a number of them hoping to sell but given that they are an odd make (whatever make they are) I guess know one took any interest in them and bought from the mainstream brands instead :undecided:

My concern would be putting one to work after they have stood outdoors literally unused for a long time. Seals and bearings and the likes could be an issue.

The price probably first anyway.....

They are very Maschio like to me.....

That's another brand you don't hear much about over here.

On the KV's, I think it was Feraboli who were involved in the early ones that gave trouble.

View attachment 31798

If you think you could buy them cheap you mustn't have tried buy much off kellys. Anything I ever priced second hand there is always a steep enough price. I reckon if they were priced right they would have been shifted by now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a suggestion guys but would this thread be better placed in the machinery section?

View attachment 31798

i don't think ive ever been in their yard but id say like the rest once you would ask about the price, probably get a shock, and bid them a more sensible amount while at the same time not trying to steal them you'd be told they were still on the books which means they might be willing to let them go for what they paid for them.
which is pretty stupid imo if they have sat there this long, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush imo.
but dont worry, some day your passing you will see the scrap man in cutting them up, or at least thats what happened when i tried to buy a machine one time.
all i do know is i was giving him a hell of a lot more 8 mths earlier than the scrap man gave him.

Back