Spring Barley - General Thread

Three weeks later...

Finished our own barley on Saturday.
10ac left to cut for a another farmer.
I'm in the same farm for 11 days now, trying to wuffle and bale straw.
I've spent longer in the jeep driving up and down to this place over for the past week, than I spent last year baling it all, not counting the time I'm here sitting waiting for a half chance to do something.
Most days I got a bit of wuffling done and made a few bales, rain or drizzle at some stage most days, an hour will finish it today.
65ac of barley to bale up after this.
Then onto the spring rape.
Jasus I have pity for you man. We got away with a doddle of a harvest down here this year, flew through it. Your story is a sharp reminder of how hard it can be. I thought this was a good year to be a tillage farmer. We have a very short memory. May you get a few good days soon and get it over with.

Jasus I have pity for you man. We got away with a doddle of a harvest down here this year, flew through it. Your story is a sharp reminder of how hard it can be. I thought this was a good year to be a tillage farmer. We have a very short memory. May you get a few good days soon and get it over with.

I’ll second that.

At 130pm today I didn't think we would get it all baled, there was only about 60 bales in it, got it done, drove home 45min, got the dinner, diesel and net, headed off 40min drive with two balers, baled 14ac, black clouds over head, headed 30min east to 48ac, got that done tonight just before the rain, back in the yard now.
Finished the last bit of combining for another man today too.

We might think we get things bad down in the sunny south east at times but that would test anyone's patience. Good to hear you got the break to get it done today.

Just the spring rape left then?

We might think we get things bad down in the sunny south east at times but that would test anyone's patience. Good to hear you got the break to get it done today.

Just the spring rape left then?

Just the rape left now, bad weather teaches patience, as does anything to do with machinery, if ya stay at it long enough.
I don't think I lost my patience this week, I've been to talking to a few of ye and that probably helped.

On a sad note, we lost a great man last week, 73 year old, ex ambulance driver, been battling cancer for the past 16 years, he retired when he got sick, kept a few ewes and did a bit of driving with us, raking, ring rolling, wuffling, collecting parts, chemicals etc, a few hours here and there, he'd call in for tea or coffee most days if there wasn't much on, he was part of the family.
He will be sadly missed, some of ye may have met him, a serious character, with an ability to curse beyond any man I've ever met.
As someone said to me after the funeral he could put a curse in ever sentence.
I said, no he could compose a sentence made up entirely of curses and I'd know exactly what he was talking about.

Just the rape left now, bad weather teaches patience, as does anything to do with machinery, if ya stay at it long enough.
I don't think I lost my patience this week, I've been to talking to a few of ye and that probably helped.

On a sad note, we lost a great man last week, 73 year old, ex ambulance driver, been battling cancer for the past 16 years, he retired when he got sick, kept a few ewes and did a bit of driving with us, raking, ring rolling, wuffling, collecting parts, chemicals etc, a few hours here and there, he'd call in for tea or coffee most days if there wasn't much on, he was part of the family.
He will be sadly missed, some of ye may have met him, a serious character, with an ability to curse beyond any man I've ever met.
I said, no he could compose a sentence made up entirely of curses and I'd know exactly what he was talking about.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis

He must have been looking after you yesterday, helping you get the straw baled. Good to hear you got that done.

Got finished the following Thursday thanks nash storm what ever its name was that hit the ploughing the previous week did a bit of damage ,not too bad though , we had 27 acres unharvested last year never wish to see a repeat of of that. On a brighter note thats the 985 completed its 39th harvest, 23 of them here.

Got finished the following Thursday thanks nash storm what ever its name was that hit the ploughing the previous week did a bit of damage ,not too bad though , we had 27 acres unharvested last year never wish to see a repeat of of that. On a brighter note thats the 985 completed its 39th harvest, 23 of them here.
Good to hear you got finished. We are the few persisting with the old ones. We have a 955 from new and has finished its 38th harvest, nice and simple to keep going, cost about €200 per year on average to maintain with a belt or two and a few bearings. I think they have earned their keep.

Good to hear you got finished. We are the few persisting with the old ones. We have a 955 from new and has finished its 38th harvest, nice and simple to keep going, cost about €200 per year on average to maintain with a belt or two and a few bearings. I think they have earned their keep.
I got a 945:cool1:

Good to hear Smid :Thumbp2:

I'm sure like most other parts of the country, the barley stubbles here are in a right state with voluntary growth. What are people on here planning on doing with it?

I'm sure like most other parts of the country, the barley stubbles here are in a right state with voluntary growth. What are people on here planning on doing with it?

I see some have been sprayed off around here..

Our bit all has cover crop for GLAS on it. I sprayed it with Falcon to kill volunteers.

I grazed 40 acres of it with weanlings, super job, the rest of it has cover crops on it. I see no need to burn it off yet, maybe in January yes.

I grubbed 15ac to get as much volunteer growth as possible seems to have worked well on that front. plan would be too spray off around jan early feb at latest and plough down then fingers crossed late feb early march

Hi all, i am at my second shot of growing spring barley here in Australia. I am located in 800-1000mm rainfall coastal area in south west Victoria.

My first crop went 5 t/ha, sown real late, rough as guts...not to bad given its growing scenario.

This year ive got serious, sown with cross slot on 150mm rows, 160kg DAP down the spout, 250kg of Westminster seed. Sown nov 1st which is like your May 1st.

Was aiming 350 plants sqm, got it in places, establishment was pretty good.

Got 120kg urea on before a rain at 5 leaf.

I am aiming for 1000 heads sqm, pretty hard getting that, ive got heads just poking through now in places, ill go close to the 1000 count in areas, some prob be about 700.

Crop here grows pretty quick, my crop os in week 7 and heads popping out in places, have some stuff still late tillering.

So i have some questions i need help with if anyone is kind enough.

1. Sowing width, id like to go down to 125mm, whats common in ireland to get 3.5 tonne and north yield?
2. Tillering, timing rain and urea not easy here, i do use liquid N with lots of water when possible and aim at going through the leaf.
3. Rolling for tillering and ln defeciency, at what stage and what type of roller?
4. I have applied 85 units of N plus its growing on balansa clover crop that was cut for silage, crop was sown 4 days later.
5. How many grains tall is the typical irish barley 2 row breed?

Any assistance appreciated! I am getting through the 188 pages of knowledge...and drivel lol...

Some pics.

Cheers Ant

Attachments

• 20181216_172832-1651x1238.jpg
    20181216_172832-1651x1238.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20181216_170630-1651x1238.jpg
    20181216_170630-1651x1238.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20181216_170105-1238x1651.jpg
    20181216_170105-1238x1651.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20181213_082022-1651x1238.jpg
    20181213_082022-1651x1238.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20181111_191219-1651x929.jpg
    20181111_191219-1651x929.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 29
Hi all, i am at my second shot of growing spring barley here in Australia. I am located in 800-1000mm rainfall coastal area in south west Victoria.

My first crop went 5 t/ha, sown real late, rough as guts...not to bad given its growing scenario.

This year ive got serious, sown with cross slot on 150mm rows, 160kg DAP down the spout, 250kg of Westminster seed. Sown nov 1st which is like your May 1st.

Was aiming 350 plants sqm, got it in places, establishment was pretty good.

Got 120kg urea on before a rain at 5 leaf.

I am aiming for 1000 heads sqm, pretty hard getting that, ive got heads just poking through now in places, ill go close to the 1000 count in areas, some prob be about 700.

Crop here grows pretty quick, my crop os in week 7 and heads popping out in places, have some stuff still late tillering.

So i have some questions i need help with if anyone is kind enough.

1. Sowing width, id like to go down to 125mm, whats common in ireland to get 3.5 tonne and north yield?
2. Tillering, timing rain and urea not easy here, i do use liquid N with lots of water when possible and aim at going through the leaf.
3. Rolling for tillering and ln defeciency, at what stage and what type of roller?
4. I have applied 85 units of N plus its growing on balansa clover crop that was cut for silage, crop was sown 4 days later.
5. How many grains tall is the typical irish barley 2 row breed?

Any assistance appreciated! I am getting through the 188 pages of knowledge...and drivel lol...

Some pics.

Cheers Ant
Welcome to F4F
I would think a wider row spacing than here would be more suitable
Ccc will do same as roller, as I’d think press wheels on cross slot are firming the slot
24 grains would be decent average ?
85 is ideal at rate it’s growing you’ll flatten it easily
You really need to do a leaf analysis to get a picture of your soils and subsequently the leaf

Back