Spring Barley - General Thread

Hi all, i am at my second shot of growing spring barley here in Australia. I am located in 800-1000mm rainfall coastal area in south west Victoria.

My first crop went 5 t/ha, sown real late, rough as guts...not to bad given its growing scenario.

This year ive got serious, sown with cross slot on 150mm rows, 160kg DAP down the spout, 250kg of Westminster seed. Sown nov 1st which is like your May 1st.

Was aiming 350 plants sqm, got it in places, establishment was pretty good.

Got 120kg urea on before a rain at 5 leaf.

I am aiming for 1000 heads sqm, pretty hard getting that, ive got heads just poking through now in places, ill go close to the 1000 count in areas, some prob be about 700.

Crop here grows pretty quick, my crop os in week 7 and heads popping out in places, have some stuff still late tillering.

So i have some questions i need help with if anyone is kind enough.

1. Sowing width, id like to go down to 125mm, whats common in ireland to get 3.5 tonne and north yield?
2. Tillering, timing rain and urea not easy here, i do use liquid N with lots of water when possible and aim at going through the leaf.
3. Rolling for tillering and ln defeciency, at what stage and what type of roller?
4. I have applied 85 units of N plus its growing on balansa clover crop that was cut for silage, crop was sown 4 days later.
5. How many grains tall is the typical irish barley 2 row breed?

Any assistance appreciated! I am getting through the 188 pages of knowledge...and drivel lol...

Some pics.

Cheers Ant[/QUOTE

Looks Great @TelesnAg. With the pace of growth you have do you get trace deficiencies? As @Hardysplicer says, good picture of leaf and background soil levels be a great help. Imho potash is a big part of yield here. Particularly if you are mowing out your covers.
Old school here is flat roll at tillering but as above ccc or gentler formulations does same job.
Keep us posted.

Wasnt there trial work done showing In a very rapidly growing crop CCC doesn't have any effect on tillering. If your short head numbers and have your nitrogen out maybe even all at sowing your next beat option is to up the seeding rate.

Edit- what I'm trying to say is I don't think CCC has an effect in very fast growing crops and early nitrogen and seeding rate are the best control you have over tiller numbers

Last edited:
Welcome along Ant.

You have a similar rainfall as my part of the world.

I don't know what the ideal sowing date is where you are. 1st May would be too late here although it does happen if we have no choice.

I don't think there will be much yield difference between 150mm or 125mm row spacings, the plants will fill that extra space.

Plant numbers are important though as you seem to be aware. I would be aiming for 300-350/m2 for spring barley.

Your fertiliser input will depend completely on the levels of N, P & K in your particular soil, along with the usual pH requirements and trace elements.

In my experience, the main factors leading to a high yield of spring barley are (in no particular order):

1. Sown on time but not too early, spring barley needs to hit the ground running and not stop. The second half of march would be my ideal on free draining soil.
  2. Enough plants
  3. Nitrogen on early, finished (and hopefully washed in) by the end of tillering
  4. Top class seed bed (and I mean top class).
  5. Warm kind weather from emergence to tillering
  6. Cool bright weather from tillering to ripening
  7. The right variety
  8. Harvest as soon as it is ripe (an over ripe crop will lose a lot of yield by dropping specific weight and losing heads on the ground).
  9. Plenty of P in the soil (incorporate into the seed bed if P levels are below optimum).
  10. Good disease control (two spray timings in our climate).
  11. Break crops will increase spring barley yields above those of continuous spring barley.

• Tillering
In terms of tillering, I wouldn't try anything to encourage it unless you have a problem (not enough plants because of pest attack or poor tillering due to P deficiency). Try to get the plant numbers right and it will tiller to the level that it needs to. If you have low P then your tillering will be severely impacted.
I wouldn't want any more than 3 tillers per plant as the plant cant properly support more than 3 or 4.
CCC during tillering will increase tiller numbers but it will not increase yield.

• Rolling
A firm (not compacted) and fine seed bed is important. The firmness underneath is important to get the roots in close contact with the soil (less deficiencies from the likes of Manganese). If you are deeply cultivating the soil, then pressing or rolling it before planting can be very advantageous. Rolling after planting will only serve to press down stones and give less cover for pests. Rolling after planting will do very little firming at root depth.
Type of roller to use after planting? A Cambridge roller before crop emergence is my preferred option. I don't like rolling emerged barley but have done it - make sure the rings aren't too new and sharp.

• Grains per ear
We actually grow some of the same varieties here - Westminster was grown in the UK, A bit weak strawed for southern Ireland. I see that Planet is now being grown in Aus and NZ.
I never bother counting grains on barley ears - the reason being two - fold 1. the grain number will depend on the ear population, a thinner crop will have more grains as it tries to compensate for lack of ears & 2. there is nothing I can do about the number of grains per ear.

Teagasc is our state run Agri Research body here. They published the Spring Barley Guide a few years ago - definitely worth a read: https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2015/The-Spring-Barley-Guide.pdf

Hi all, i am at my second shot of growing spring barley here in Australia. I am located in 800-1000mm rainfall coastal area in south west Victoria.

My first crop went 5 t/ha, sown real late, rough as guts...not to bad given its growing scenario.

This year ive got serious, sown with cross slot on 150mm rows, 160kg DAP down the spout, 250kg of Westminster seed. Sown nov 1st which is like your May 1st.

Was aiming 350 plants sqm, got it in places, establishment was pretty good.

Got 120kg urea on before a rain at 5 leaf.

I am aiming for 1000 heads sqm, pretty hard getting that, ive got heads just poking through now in places, ill go close to the 1000 count in areas, some prob be about 700.

Crop here grows pretty quick, my crop os in week 7 and heads popping out in places, have some stuff still late tillering.

So i have some questions i need help with if anyone is kind enough.

1. Sowing width, id like to go down to 125mm, whats common in ireland to get 3.5 tonne and north yield?
2. Tillering, timing rain and urea not easy here, i do use liquid N with lots of water when possible and aim at going through the leaf.
3. Rolling for tillering and ln defeciency, at what stage and what type of roller?
4. I have applied 85 units of N plus its growing on balansa clover crop that was cut for silage, crop was sown 4 days later.
5. How many grains tall is the typical irish barley 2 row breed?

Any assistance appreciated! I am getting through the 188 pages of knowledge...and drivel lol...

Some pics.

Cheers Ant

Wasnt there trial work done showing In a very rapidly growing crop CCC doesn't have any effect on tillering. If your short head numbers and have your nitrogen out maybe even all at sowing your next beat option is to up the seeding rate.

Edit- what I'm trying to say is I don't think CCC has an effect in very fast growing crops and early nitrogen and seeding rate are the best control you have over tiller numbers
Ccc needs to be early or forget about it

Counting seed/plants/heads is frowned upon :whistle:

Cabin fever has not set in and Bales V Pits has already started without the Flat V Ringrollers squaring up to each other.
2019 could be a rough year finishing up with a Yellow Jacket protest at the ploughing.

Did you say ploughing......? Down with such talk. :lol:

In the interests of inclusiveness in this modern society, I think "the ploughing" event should be renamed as "the cultivations".

Cabin fever has not set in and Bales V Pits has already started without the Flat V Ringrollers squaring up to each other.
2019 could be a rough year finishing up with a Yellow Jacket protest at the ploughing.

It's okay I've seen The light, I'm now a ring roller Man too so one less To argue For flat rollers.

Now I just need To find a decent one!

Welcome along telesnag to F4F. The spring barley guide Cork mentions above Is definitely worth a read.

Ok i will try answer some questions and add more info, thank you for all the replies, very much appreciated!!!

1. Yes i do read the teagsc spring barley guide, its the best in the world i have found, trying to get the rubber to the road is the challenge.
2. Ccc not available, we are very limited with pgr in oz, we can get moddus. Straw is worth a fortune this year due to drought.
3. The crop will always grow like mad due to coastal enviroment, i think is part of the challenge with getting suffecient tillering, it will be fully out in head in 9 weeks and have heads poking out now in week 7.
4. Soil tests i will revisit, i cant remeber the numbers, i work in mining, doing 7 days on 7 days off, my brwin is cooked most of the time!! My work is 2500km away.
5. Done tiller counts yesterday and today, i have areas that will do 1000 heads i believe, areas below this are purely down on plants, i struggle with cockatoos eating seeds when sowing. Im a zon gas gun expert now!!
6. Becuase i am taking a sillage cut seeding earlier is hard work, i prefer to spread my risk and have this form of income rather than let paddock sit and go rank in wet.
7. I couldnt get planet seed, thats on cards for next year.
8. Normally with Westminster i would get 20_24 grains a head.
9. Due to pace of crop growth ive only ever got 1 fungicide on, net blotch is the only disease i get thus far. I sprayed crop today with radial, plus 15l ha of uan liquid n, 110 l ha of water. I reckon it will burn due to low due to low drift nozzles used by contractor, i hate them, i love the good old fashion flat fan mist, like god intended.

So far after the info i have recieved, i need to work on fertility, establishment (tricky) but a must.

I have to direct drill otherwise lose to much moisture, we have cool climate but springs can be drier than what i would imagine Ireland is?. I would never get on any earlier to sow due to wet dirt.

Rolling, i have a rubber tyre roller i can fill with water, due to crop establishment being uneven at times doing this effectively might be tricky but i really want to try this.

N application, since the growing is so quick i think? I am better to dump all on in one hit once drill rows are visible? I dont have my own spreader yet but will work on getting one.

Are tines or disc the preffered choice? I prefer tines to be honest, i have better tillering where the seed band is wide and not slotted in tight.

Some pictures post spraying today, the fungicide was oiler than i expected, i think it will burn, big droplet size didnt help.
See what happens?

Thanks for the info any help is appreciated....

Cheers, Ant...

Pics

Ant...

Attachments

• 20181218_160213-1651x1238.jpg
    20181218_160213-1651x1238.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 37
  • 20181218_160210-1651x1238.jpg
    20181218_160210-1651x1238.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20181218_140553-1238x1651.jpg
    20181218_140553-1238x1651.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20181218_140538-1238x1651.jpg
    20181218_140538-1238x1651.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20181218_155923-1651x1238.jpg
    20181218_155923-1651x1238.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 34
Some roll the crop but dont they? To crimp and induce more tillering?

Ant...

Yes they do. I’ve done it when it wasn’t dry enough at planting time.
As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn’t be rolling or using pgr to encourage tillering in spring barley unless I actually had a problem.
Damage will occur to plants from the tractor wheels.

To improve establishment roll straight after planting. To stimulate tillering roll just before tillering starts, damaging the main stem makes the plant think it's dying and puts out more tillers. The old school way was to graze with sheep which removed the main stem.

More so in winter barley not so much in spring barley.

Some roll the crop but dont they? To crimp and induce more tillering?

Ant...
My father was religious about rolling the emerged barley years ago. He always swore by it and I can't say I ever remember a crop lodging. How good the crops were though is another matter. I'd say 2 tonnes did a lot for them back then.

Back