Spring Wheat

You mention other crops of wheat locally are not much better.

We're these sown the same time?

Probably hints to weather then?

walking this morning and im seeing very slow growth across all seeds/crops. everything sowed a month now so should be bombing it along. maybe average seedbeds along with very little rain over the last month is causing this.

Just walking grass that's idle 10 days and very little growth. How quick we go into drought

Last edited:
I've noticed in spring crops that there is manganese, zinc and magnesium deficiency in fields that have no history. More than likely due to the average seedbeds, cold and wet underneath and now things quite dry on top. Crops are stressed and the scorching I have done is more than likely due a combination of all the above coupled with frosts maybe. Went through the spring barley yesterday eve with wild oats, 2nd aphicide, mancozin and combitop to help her along

Tw
I've noticed in spring crops that there is manganese, zinc and magnesium deficiency in fields that have no history. More than likely due to the average seedbeds, cold and wet underneath and now things quite dry on top. Crops are stressed and the scorching I have done is more than likely due a combination of all the above coupled with frosts maybe. Went through the spring barley yesterday eve with wild oats, 2nd aphicide, mancozin and combitop to help her along
Two aphicide ?

Was up near some of my Spring Wheat and I had to stop looking because my feet were getting too wet . It has done a lot of growing in the last few days .I did not venture down to the thin patches .

@Blackwater boy What rate of Combitop do you put on Spring Wheat and Barley I was using 7kgs/Ha on W. Barley and W. Wheat is that too much on spring corn

I dont think you can over dose Combitop to be honest. Ive used 10-15kg/ha at one time. Cost becomes the main limiting factor.

I dont think you can over dose Combitop to be honest. Ive used 10-15kg/ha at one time. Cost becomes the main limiting factor.
Did you put that out in the fertiliser spreader!!!
Johnny 1 about 2kgs per acre is my norm, if I've a deficiency of say manganese or zinc I'm on the "local" liquid stuff...

Did you put that out in the fertiliser spreader!!!
Johnny 1 about 2kgs per acre is my norm, if I've a deficiency of say manganese or zinc I'm on the "local" liquid stuff...

not at all, dissolved through the induction bowl without bother

Will try do it tomorrow have beans to get done first, it's only started flowering but with today's weather I wouldn't like leaving it too long
I've quintas with about 2 acres of double shot on the headlands and the double shot is about a day or 2 ahead of it flowering, planning .5 proline and 1.25 of amistar opti tomorrow or Sunday ish. Yours looks well, mine is a bit thin but happier today with it than I was a week ago.

I've quintas with about 2 acres of double shot on the headlands and the double shot is about a day or 2 ahead of it flowering, planning .5 proline and 1.25 of amistar opti tomorrow or Sunday ish. Yours looks well, mine is a bit thin but happier today with it than I was a week ago.
It's very variable, after ley and it ranges from lots of bulk where no light will hit the ground to parts where it's short and plenty of light down between the rows, heads are small enough on mine

Doubleshot Spring Wheat . Not over happy with it but it will probably yield okay if I get the Bushel wt . Where I did no tillage in the Spring it looks way better . I think it may have gone in too deep where I tilled . Things happen with Spring wheat at a slower pace than Spring Barley .
DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Some interesting issues with spring wheat here, so took some photos while spraying mildew today.
Ground was long term ley, then beet, now quintus sown 18/03. Take all seems to have come through on scutch, as patches correspond exactly.

The other issue is more concerning, with extensive damage to flag leaf, opinion among advisors who have seen it is possibly pollen scorch. They are also saying it is widespread in our part of the world, with anecdotal ( not trial and def not scientific) evidence that doubleshot is less severely affected. Has anyone else seen this? Anything showing up in the trials?

Back