Stock Pictures

An unplanned pregnancy! I sold this heifer two months ago at the mart. Got a call a few days ago telling me that she was in calf and to take her back. Fortunately the man who brought her was only fifteen miles away and quite reasonable, he settled for a €100 and what she made in the mart. Still a bit of a mess.View attachment 66645
What about it, she's alive, hopefully she'll calve lucky.
He was reasonable.

An unplanned pregnancy! I sold this heifer two months ago at the mart. Got a call a few days ago telling me that she was in calf and to take her back. Fortunately the man who brought her was only fifteen miles away and quite reasonable, he settled for a €100 and what she made in the mart. Still a bit of a mess.View attachment 66645

The best paying animal that man had this year .

What age is she , and have you any idea of the culprit ?

The best paying animal that man had this year .

What age is she , and have you any idea of the culprit ?
She is about fifteen months and small. Our charolais stock bull is the main suspect. Watching her now for when she is going to calf is going to be a pain in the ass.

I've seen my own heifer calves coming into heat between 5 and 6 months of age, I'd usually estrumate them a few months later after I got caught out once. Best insurance really.

253CBA39-6758-4355-BA51-C446DAF7F621.jpeg
Well she calved today, had to give her a bit of help. Not a bad calf, a jet black bull. Can’t figure out where he came from nothing black around here. Must be the neighboring dairy farmer he has a few angus bulls even though I never noticed anything.

Ai bred ?

No. A stock bull that I bred myself off Highlander and dam was Fieldson Alfie. I had never intended keeping a bull. I bought his mother as a heifer and unfortunately at birth she had a twisted calf bed and had to have a section. She never went back in calf. Seeing as my bull was not related to anything else in the herd, I kept on to him intending that he might mop up heifers that we were breeding at the time. He's no oil painting - he never got feeding and he's low and long, but he brings some lovely calves and he is easy calved.

Back