The reseeding thread

im sure it was mentioned in here before, but to save me looking,
how soon after spraying off with the likes of round-up can you start to work the ground

i ask, as i have 3 acres here that i ploughed about 2 yrs ago now, never could get back into it to do anything with it as it went to custard shortly after ploughing, now its full of crap that needs to be killed off, but the weather window is geting short now.

just need to ph it lightly level it and sow seed at this stage, or maybe the other way about for the first two mind.

im sure it was mentioned in here before, but to save me looking,
how soon after spraying off with the likes of round-up can you start to work the ground

i ask, as i have 3 acres here that i ploughed about 2 yrs ago now, never could get back into it to do anything with it as it went to custard shortly after ploughing, now its full of crap that needs to be killed off, but the weather window is geting short now.

just need to ph it lightly level it and sow seed at this stage, or maybe the other way about for the first two mind.

If there's scutch or other perennial grasses present then I would give it a week after a good rate of roundup.

If there are only annual weeds present then 3 days should do.

If there's scutch or other perennial grasses present then I would give it a week after a good rate of roundup.

If there are only annual weeds present then 3 days should do.

Sound advice, hoping to do the silage field here after the second cut as its full of scutch

Last edited:
Sound advice, oping to do the silage field here after te second cut as its full of scutch

It is v v v v v v important to use enough roundup if you're trying to kill scutch or creeping bent lads.

An extra litre per hectare can make all the difference. Don't be afraid of leaving it 10 days to ensure maximum movement of the chemical into the roots.

Thanks cork:thumbup: I would have thought a week would be long enough.

Got a soil test done on the field and it needs 2 tonne/acre of lime. Would it be better to split the spreading of it, as in put out a tonne/acre this year and the rest the following year? Often heard people say that putting out to much lime in one go leaves land soft?

Thanks cork:thumbup: I would have thought a week would be long enough.

Got a soil test done on the field and it needs 2 tonne/acre of lime. Would it be better to split the spreading of it, as in put out a tonne/acre this year and the rest the following year? Often heard people say that putting out to much lime in one go leaves land soft?

Hi Eire,

2tn is normally the max I would do in one application. I don't see a problem with it. You will have a great chance to mix it well with the soil when you are cultivating.

Personally, I'd apply the 2tn in one go as long as I can mix it through the ploughed soil with a harrow.

Hi Eire,

2tn is normally the max I would do in one application. I don't see a problem with it. You will have a great chance to mix it well with the soil when you are cultivating.

Personally, I'd apply the 2tn in one go as long as I can mix it through the ploughed soil with a harrow.

Cheers cork:thumbup:

What's the opinion on re seeding with a one pass. Do I 1 let the springs off and just let the counters drag. 2 take the pipes off and let the seed just blow out. 3 just get the seed barrow hitched to the 35. Thanks in advance for all opinions and advice. The ground will be ploughed by the way.

What's the opinion on re seeding with a one pass. Do I 1 let the springs off and just let the counters drag. 2 take the pipes off and let the seed just blow out. 3 just get the seed barrow hitched to the 35. Thanks in advance for all opinions and advice. The ground will be ploughed by the way.

I always would have left off tension on the springs and let the coulters drag and have the following tines down too.
Contractor I work for now has the coulters out of the ground so the seeds are blown out and broadcast.He says farmers don't like the lines.
I see a big difference in establishment between the 2 methods.Coulters down is an even strike and overall looks a much neater job :confused:

Coulters up always seems to look patchy but maybe I'm just being picky

We find clover likes to be placed on top. So I have drilled another hole in the coulter linkage bar. This allows me to raise the coulters off the ground ( power Harrow tines are wearing down quite a bit!!)

I sowed previous to this removing springs and covering times which takes too long.

What depth do you run the harrow at? We will have new teeth on this one when we are sowing. Am planning to plough roll with cadets tad with paddles,spread fert and sow and roll. The reason I ask is that we never one passed grass before

Just enough to take out the wheel tracks and as said above just let of tension on springs or take them of altogether . When sowed with the drill you get a great strike rate and if sowed nice and straight it's not that bad looking at the lines !!!!!

Just enough to take out the wheel tracks and as said above just let of tension on springs or take them of altogether . When sowed with the drill you get a great strike rate and if sowed nice and straight it's not that bad looking at the lines !!!!!

Would be sweet so with duals on to limit tracks

What depth do you run the harrow at? We will have new teeth on this one when we are sowing. Am planning to plough roll with cadets tad with paddles,spread fert and sow and roll. The reason I ask is that we never one passed grass before

One run of a power harrow on ploughed ground is not enough to get a level firm field , i run the land leveler and power harrow together with the harrow tilling to loosen clay for the leveling harrow to move , the power harrow would be set at 3/4 " , then on the final run Id raise the harrow to just tickle the ground this also puts more weight on the packer roller to help firm the soil . Why do you want to plough in the first place , ploughing leaves the ground to loose for grass seed to do well , we only plough as a last resort to level rough ground.

Teagasc are holding a grass reseeding demo on this thursday in Kilbeggan Co Westmeath , they have about 10 plots of grass that were sowed 5 weeks ago using differant systems of sowing , then they put on differant levels of fertilizer on differant parts of the plots , so there will be a lot of good information available , it is running from 2pm until 8pm , all are welcome .

Teagasc are holding a grass reseeding demo on this thursday in Kilbeggan Co Westmeath , they have about 10 plots of grass that were sowed 5 weeks ago using differant systems of sowing , then they put on differant levels of fertilizer on differant parts of the plots , so there will be a lot of good information available , it is running from 2pm until 8pm , all are welcome .

Is it reseeding from grass or other crops? Where abouts is the site?

Last edited:
Is it reseeding from grass or other crops? Where abouts is the site?

It is an old grass field , there will be no sowing on the day as they havnt the room , but all plots were sowed on the same day about 5 weeks ago , I sowed 2 of them , 1 on ploughed ground and the other with the power harrow on ley ground without ploughing . The field is out by the Church in the on the edge of the village. It will be signposted , they are expecting 500 as all the discussion groups are invited , they were to addvertise it but they said they might not be able to handle bigger crowds as space is tight .

Thanks ill try to go down for a look if i can, would be a handy stop on the way to galway for a few pints on thursday night :drunk:, though that plan looks unlikely at the minute.

It is an old grass field , there will be no sowing on the day as they havnt the room , but all plots were sowed on the same day about 5 weeks ago , I sowed 2 of them , 1 on ploughed ground and the other with the power harrow on ley ground without ploughing . The field is out by the Church in the on the edge of the village. It will be signposted , they are expecting 500 as all the discussion groups are invited , they were to addvertise it but they said they might not be able to handle bigger crowds as space is tight .
so straight into the ley with the ph?
3-4" you say?
you start to pull it about then, or give it another run with the ph first.
one run would leave clumpy enough sods would it not/

Well done to Teagasc for not being able to find a field that could accommodate 500 people. Last time I looked I taught we had 120k farmers in Ireland. Surly it was important to demo each machine that sowed each plot so guys could get their head around different to them establishment methods.

so straight into the ley with the ph?
3-4" you say?
you start to pull it about then, or give it another run with the ph first.
one run would leave clumpy enough sods would it not/

yea tinman , i give it 1 run with the power harrow set at 2" with a forward speed of 3.5km/hr , with the middle levelling board set at ground level so as so keep the big sods in to the tines until they are small enough to get out under it , I have a fiona grass box mounted on a liftpack on the harrow so all is done in 1 run. Works perfect every time .

James I would have thought that would cause a serious pan??

I must give it a go. Bet tines wear like ****!!

Did you trade the lions or did you go again?

Back