Winter barley 2019

Would tower still be good enough on emerged meadow grass? I taught the PDM part of it was mainly for pre emerge of grasses or 1 leaf

Would tower still be good enough on emerged meadow grass? I taught the PDM part of it was mainly for pre emerge of grasses or 1 leaf
The PDM and CTL both work best pre-emerge, but they are they best available post emergence in my opinion, better to get mediocre control than no control.

Not sure if Tower, with reduced rates of PDM & CTL or Flight with a higher rate of PDM is better at this stage?

The PDM and CTL both work best pre-emerge, but they are they best available post emergence in my opinion, better to get mediocre control than no control.
I’ve found defy or a version of it very good post emerge, saw it used the snow week last feb. Did a super job, I never would have taught PDM would be that good at this stage is all.

Flight label (4L/Ha) says it’ll control AMG at 3 leaves whereas Firebird and Tower only claim 2 leaves. Defy says it’ll do it at 3 leaves.

I walked the wb at home here today and I was somewhat disappointed to see mildew in it. Not to bad but more then I like all the same. Few aphids flying about as well. I intend to run through it with an insecticide tomorrow. Would I be mad to throw in a shot of corbel for the Mildew as well?.

I walked the wb at home here today and I was somewhat disappointed to see mildew in it. Not to bad but more then I like all the same. Few aphids flying about as well. I intend to run through it with an insecticide tomorrow. Would I be mad to throw in a shot of corbel for the Mildew as well?.
Is it cassia? I doubt they were aphids you saw flying about tho

I would prefer to give it a good dose of trace elements, making sure the ones you use are compatible with whatever else is in the tank, combitop and Mancozin are my products of choice. Zinc and Manganese will help with mildew reduction.

Is it cassia? I doubt they were aphids you saw flying about tho
It's Cassia. Could have been midges I saw?. I just saw little insects flying up as I walked along the tramlines and assumed they were aphids. I did examine the plants in a few spots and saw none on the leaves. Would an insecticide still be advisable?.

Aphids are immune to most of the old school insecticides. Would be killing more predators than aphids. If the aphids did any damage it is done at this stage. Just what i think, have been wrong 50% of the time.

My agronomist up here sent me some horror photos of mildew in cassia.
I'd mentioned before that my Orwell had got a bit dirty. It was manganese dressed seed that got a follow up spray around 20th November. It was clean then, it's amazing how the mildew has developed since-perfect weather for it really.
The forecast isn't giving any hard frost in the foreseeable future. I bit the bullit and ran through with some fungicide. I didn't want it to run riot and not be able to travel when I'd want to.
I've never put fungicide on at this time of year, it's a bit of peace of mind for a fiver an acre, l don't want to loose tillers. Usually getting on at this time of year isn't even an option!

Something attacking winter barley underground,fair bit of damage done. Looks like leatherjackets,could that be possible this time of the year? I did a lot of digging but couldn’t find anything.A12E83EA-ADE2-4588-9DA0-59F6A215F988.jpeg 355D6A2D-222B-4205-A9F3-FF07C10FBF57.jpeg D4E2BB70-BAE4-449E-AE5D-7D8D0E781C07.jpeg

You would have thought they'd be too small this early to do much damage. Unless the mild weather has left them more advanced ?

Yep, I’ve seen them thin crops over winter in the past.

It happens more slowly than in the spring so you can often miss the damage (plants wilt more slowly in lower temperatures and we generally aren’t in the fields as much over winter).

I had more leather jackets in my lawn last autumn than ever before.

Continuous tillage,winter wheat last year WOSR before that wouldn’t normally have a problem with pests there.
That rules that out.
It just looked like the damage was deeper than usual, but I suppose the cold weather would do that.

Back