Winter Wheat 2018

How are you getting on with the new gps?

Its going well . I marked out a big field with tramlines and the brother went up to spray it and turned on the GPS marked an A at the beginning of a tramline and a B at the other end and just sprayed every tramline with the GPS steering it down the tramline . It is very easy to work . I have a couple of fields sprayed with curved tramlines .[

With so many later sown crops and such a cold spring it is possible crops will produce one less leaf and one less node than normal,with the third last leaf emerging at Gs31 instead of growth stage 32

With so many later sown crops and such a cold spring it is possible crops will produce one less leaf and one less node than normal,with the third last leaf emerging at Gs31 instead of growth stage 32

Yes, I’d say you’re right. Should reduce lodging pressure. A good knife and plenty dissecting required to be sure!!

Yes, I’d say you’re right. Should reduce lodging pressure. A good knife and plenty dissecting required to be sure!!
While this year will effect different crops in different ways I think it’s a blessing in disguise for winter wheat. The chemistry available at the moment for septoria control has slipped an awful lot in the last year and we are a year or two away from getting a new family of actives to control it.
I didn’t think SDHI’s had slipped as much until I saw Steven Kildeas presentation at the tillage conference which showed the performance dropping to 50 % of what it was in 2015(no data for 2016).
The bad autumn forced late sowing, the cold spring has slowed septoria and whilst none of this garauntees yield it is a help given the above

The tippy toe artillery was rigged out to get the compound across the last few fields of spongy wheat ground yesterday. Wouldn't have bothered if next weeks forecast was drier. After a bad start (overly ambitious) we eventually got 90% of the crop spread. Here's hoping it was worth the effort.IMG_0376.PNG

The tippy toe artillery was rigged out to get the compound across the last few fields of spongy wheat ground yesterday. Wouldn't have bothered if next weeks forecast was drier. After a bad start (overly ambitious) we eventually got 90% of the crop spread. Here's hoping it was worth the effort.View attachment 52980

I thought you were trying to copy the JCB dancing diggers!!

Yes Pacifica plus @ 0.25 kg/ha plus bio power. Most fields have got Autumn Dff 0.22 L/ha and tidied up a week ago with 0.4 to 0.5 of Zypar targeting fumitory and vol beans everything else the Pacifica should take out. Have one field which has springs across the middle and can’t travel at the moment so mixing the Zypar with the Pacifica in a week to 10 days time would suit if it doesn’t check the crop

Yes Pacifica plus @ 0.25 kg/ha plus bio power. Most fields have got Autumn Dff 0.22 L/ha and tidied up a week ago with 0.4 to 0.5 of Zypar targeting fumitory and vol beans everything else the Pacifica should take out. Have one field which has springs across the middle and can’t travel at the moment so mixing the Zypar with the Pacifica in a week to 10 days time would suit if it doesn’t check the crop
I don't know but ally max or cameo would be a safe bet

I don't know but ally max or cameo would be a safe bet
Would usually use Thor 10 days or so before the Pacifica but it needs a bit of growth to work best and this usually push’s the Pacifica out further in the spring, the reason I ask about the Zypar is I have it in stock and it’s done an excellent job this spring in the cold-weeds visibly dieing after 1 week

Would usually use Thor 10 days or so before the Pacifica but it needs a bit of growth to work best and this usually push’s the Pacifica out further in the spring, the reason I ask about the Zypar is I have it in stock and it’s done an excellent job this spring in the cold-weeds visibly dieing after 1 week
Pacifica plus is already a mix of 3 SUs and Zypar 2 more herbicides, are 6 herbicides needed?
I'm not having a go, and understand your reasons, but just wondering would the Pacifica be enough and forget about the fumitory? Or would Broadway star do the job and forget about the AMG? It maybe worth looking at and pricing the replacement for Pacifica plus, Monolith, very good on grass weeds and little or no broadleaf activity?
On the original question, I think it would be hot, but think you would need to ring Ray Hemingway in Bayer Ireland and ask him, I use to have his number but lost it.
IPU is sorely missed

Because they are used at reduced rate cost is not off the wall, wheat two years in five and it’s in the break crops of WOSR and beans that the fumitory is slipping through and if not controlled somewhere in the rotation can quickly get out of hand,
Not a big amount of AMG but need to take out wild oats anyway

Got 1.8 CCC onto the wheat today. Also some Ally Ultra to tidy up vol beans, cleavers and groundsel.

Lovely calm day, used flat fans for the first time in years to maximize coverage.

First real proper outing with the sprayer, really got the hang of it. Just left it on automatic mode so it switches on and off sections as it needs to.
BEE279AB-DE64-40E4-8289-A53B62BF1880.jpeg

Back