Climate Change

muckymanor

https://bbc.in/2ON3Gqe

What do ye make of the latest report and warnings from it? There is no doubt that its going to be the biggest single influence on agriculture over the next 20 years.

They aren't very keen on the rural dweller. They recommend shifts in how we travel. They recommend people to move away from eating meat.
They recommend that a huge proportion of our farmland that is currently used for grass be converted to biofuel growing.

They have left huge challenges for our government who think that planting half of the country with sika spruce is going to solve the problem.

With challenge also comes opportunity. Let's hope we can get some of that too.

Ireland's impact would be that of an ant in the world. The likes of China, US and other major countries need to act to have a significant impact.

On a lighter note...

There's no doubt it will have a big effect but climate has been changing since the last great ice age. It will continue for some time at which point it will reverse and start heading towards another great ice age. There will be mass extinctions, that may (probably will) include humans, in the future just as there was in the past. There is nothing we can do about it.

Did any one watch Guy Martin's programme on Russia?
They had the worlds bigest diamond mine. 100t dump trucks constantly hauling rubble up from a massive hole in the ground, an insane carbon footprint, and all for vanity.
No one seems to be after things like that!

As farmers we have a big problem when it comes to PR. The green's or vegans whoever roll out a well rehearsed tv person to argue. And the bbc phones the NFU or whoever who manage to roll out a lad that looks like a rabit in headlights in front of the camera (who wouldn't) and can never quite get a proper answer out.

Ireland's impact would be that of an ant in the world. The likes of China, US and other major countries need to act to have a significant impact.

]

Ireland may be a very small player in all of this but we will have to follow the path that Europe chooses. When it comes to emissions, we are judged as Ireland, not Europe.
The fact that we have plans to plant a quarter of our farmland over the next 20 years so that Hanz in Germany can continue to sell cars is a testament to this. On top of that, Hanz is in the middle of a deal with South America to allow them to do a Beef for Cars deal. Ireland will grow the trees to soak up the carbon from the building of the cars and the transport of both the cars and the beef each way. South America will continue to wipe out rainforests in order to supply the "growing demand for beef in Europe".

Ireland may be a very small player in all of this but we will have to follow the path that Europe chooses. When it comes to emissions, we are judged as Ireland, not Europe.
The fact that we have plans to plant a quarter of our farmland over the next 20 years so that Hanz in Germany can continue to sell cars is a testament to this. On top of that, Hanz is in the middle of a deal with South America to allow them to do a Beef for Cars deal. Ireland will grow the trees to soak up the carbon from the building of the cars and the transport of both the cars and the beef each way. South America will continue to wipe out rainforests in order to supply the "growing demand for beef in Europe".
Have you a source for the 25% figure? There is a sinister agenda underway to depopulate rural areas imo. The lack of profitability in farming is playing into it. Couple that with the high cost of living and taxation it's not hard to see why people are planting. Trees replace people and leave a dead landscape. That is just my opinion but look up the UN agenda 21 and draw your own conclusions.

Agriculture is singled out time and time again as a polluter and a greenhouse nightmare for no other reason then we are individuals out quietly working away with no voice worth mentioning to defend us or start all out war like other unions when something displeases them. No, we just grumble amongst ourselves and get on with it. Vegans, greens, you name it constantly attack and berate us and in the main we overlook it or dismiss it saying "ah tis a fad, they'll move on in time". It's absolute madness when one thinks on it to say we're constantly perceived as the bad guys yet it is us who feed the populance. Industry doesn't do much for the environment yet no-one goes after them. Why?, because thousands if not millions work in industry and are very well represented by their respective unions. Meanwhile the farmer has a bunch of incompetent nitwits purporting to be our voice in a modern and disconnected world(disconnected from where food actually comes from) who constantly fail to address all the crap peddled out by certain agenda driven groups and organizations. Farming gets rapped across the knuckles constantly for our greenhouse emissions but no where do we get credit for the forestry that we have or the hedgerows or indeed the carbon sinks that are our soils and the grass and crops we grow that remove carbon from the air.

I wouldn’t get too worried about global warming - because it’s going to happen regardless of the number of reports that are issued or political speeches.

Human greed will at the end of the day conspire to make it happen.
There’s very little chance that mankind will cooperate enough to make the necessary changes in time.

I wouldn’t get too worried about global warming - because it’s going to happen regardless of the number of reports that are issued or political speeches.

Human greed will at the end of the day conspire to make it happen.
There’s very little chance that mankind will cooperate enough to make the necessary changes in time.
Global warming is going to happen whether we like it or not, whether we try to do anything about it or not. Anyone that thinks we can stop it is deluded. I will concede that human activity is accelerating the rate of change and altering our (worldwide) behaviour can slow the current rate of change. Global warming was happening before Homo sapiens appeared, how can anyone believe that mere mortals can reverse it?

Agriculture is singled out time and time again as a polluter and a greenhouse nightmare for no other reason then we are individuals out quietly working away with no voice worth mentioning to defend us or start all out war like other unions when something displeases them. No, we just grumble amongst ourselves and get on with it. Vegans, greens, you name it constantly attack and berate us and in the main we overlook it or dismiss it saying "ah tis a fad, they'll move on in time". It's absolute madness when one thinks on it to say we're constantly perceived as the bad guys yet it is us who feed the populance. Industry doesn't do much for the environment yet no-one goes after them. Why?, because thousands if not millions work in industry and are very well represented by their respective unions. Meanwhile the farmer has a bunch of incompetent nitwits purporting to be our voice in a modern and disconnected world(disconnected from where food actually comes from) who constantly fail to address all the crap peddled out by certain agenda driven groups and organizations. Farming gets rapped across the knuckles constantly for our greenhouse emissions but no where do we get credit for the forestry that we have or the hedgerows or indeed the carbon sinks that are our soils and the grass and crops we grow that remove carbon from the air.

People don't realise what power they have.
If no one in the world sold cattle to the factorysfor a week.
If all dairy men put there milk down the drain for two days.
If every tillage man stored his own grain and held out a bit longer.
If we all parked our vehicles in Ireland for a few days and told the government to lower the tax rate they wouldn't be long changing it.

Global warming is going to happen whether we like it or not, whether we try to do anything about it or not. Anyone that thinks we can stop it is deluded. I will concede that human activity is accelerating the rate of change and altering our (worldwide) behaviour can slow the current rate of change. Global warming was happening before Homo sapiens appeared, how can anyone believe that mere mortals can reverse it?
The climate has changed too and fro for millennia. I live 20 minuites from mountains and valleys formed by giant ice flows...

What also bugs me is they use figures from the 1800's. And talk of a degree difference.
Now in my mind today's thermometers are going to be far far more accurate than then. And whos to say the person recording then was even bothered.
And figures from 200 years ago are simply not a long enough period in the planets history in my mind

Reactions: Paw
The climate has changed too and fro for millennia. I live 20 minuites from mountains and valleys formed by giant ice flows...

What also bugs me is they use figures from the 1800's. And talk of a degree difference.
Now in my mind today's thermometers are going to be far far more accurate than then. And whos to say the person recording then was even bothered.
And figures from 200 years ago are simply not a long enough period in the planets history in my mind
There is no doubting the increase in the use of fossil fuels in the past 50 years whether it is industry agriculture or transport, the amount of vehicles on land, sea and air has increased massively all burning fuel to keep them on the move, every engine emits heat and it is one of its greatest energy losses, modern emission compliant engines run hotter than their predecessors and give off even more heat, heating systems in houses, street lighting, servers for the internet all emit heat into the atmosphere so it's bound to have an effect that would be noticeable in recent years, unless we as a world population are going to change our ways of living, manufacturing and trading drastically it's hard to see how we can have much effect on climate change.

Here's some interesting facts for you all

At least five major ice ages have occurred throughout Earth's history: the earliest was over 2 billion years ago, and the most recent one began approximately 3 million years ago and continues today (yes, we live in an ice age!). Currently, we are in a warm interglacial that began about 11,000 years ago.

13615452_1165184690169328_1481329828424492736_n.jpg

Now creationists close your eyes on this one. If the history of the planet was broken down into a twenty-four hour day, with earth being formed at midnight, and this exact moment in time being 24 hours later, then we as humans, that's going back to our earliest ancestors 6 million years ago have been here for just under two minutes. Given an estimate of the earth being 4.5 billion years old, then homo sapiens (us) has been around for four seconds. Four seconds in 24 hours. So clearly, as regards climate change etc, surely a lot of it has to be speculation

Last edited:
You would think reading that and climate change in general only started last week, christ where was the forward planning into the future when they allowed whoever wanted to go into dairying to go at it as big as they wanted..!!
Am I right in saying that stock numbers in the country were a lot higher 30 years ago than today tho? I don’t think it’s farmers that are to blame but we are the easy target in this, aeroplanes, cars, heavy industry the list is endless are all massive contributors to the whole thing except they create too many jobs and taxes to go hard on them, just yet anyway

You would think reading that and climate change in general only started last week, christ where was the forward planning into the future when they allowed whoever wanted to go into dairying to go at it as big as they wanted..!!

It will lead to the same thing eventually. The way it's shaping at the moment you will have X amount of carbon credits, these can thence traded like entitlements are at the minute.

This will then be next to impossible for anyone to compete against a dairy farmer for them due to the superior profits they are making.

Am I right in saying that stock numbers in the country were a lot higher 30 years ago than today tho? I don’t think it’s farmers that are to blame but we are the easy target in this, aeroplanes, cars, heavy industry the list is endless are all massive contributors to the whole thing except they create too many jobs and taxes to go hard on them, just yet anyway
There does seem to be someone on our side..https://www.agriland.ie/farming-new...eted-in-eu-carbon-crunch-commission-official/

Back