Climate Change

I take it you are not a dairy farmer Nashmach ? Agree with you agri power that lads lost the run of themselves once the quotas went .

It will lead to the same thing eventually. The way it's shaping at the moment you will have X amount of carbon credits, these can thence traded like entitlements are at the minute.

This will then be next to impossible for anyone to compete against a dairy farmer for them due to the superior profits they are making.

Not very competitive on a world basis with beef either when world beef prices are based on beef being produced where rainforests are being removed.

If it goes to carbon credits for farmers then there will need to be credits for low intensive farming, hedgerows, bog (we'll be rich) etc. We will be able to sell credits to the dairy lads (or maybe swap em for calves)

I will stick it up on the TW next time I go to town.
If you make the chart big enough to include comparable emissions from the TW the rest of it will be too small for anyone to read

Probably something to do with the fact that those in power have decided that ireland will be a model country with low carbon footprint and the highest health and safety regulations.
Meanwhile the whole world has us passed by.
Easy targets we will moan and complain on here but that's as far as it will go.
We won't be able to do certain things because or footprint will be too high.
But yet its ok to buy beef from Brazil where there wiping out rainforests and wild life.
With machines that have zero emissions regulations pumping god knows what into the animals.
Ship it half way around the world to land in our local supermarket.
Because the man 5 miles down the road wasn't able to do it "clean" enough

Yes and every one regardless of wealth or status needs to eat.
I was listening to the radio one day and there was talk of a hardship fund for farmers to compensate for the bad weather, one fella was complaining about farmers getting preferential treatment and no other essential service providers received government assistance for working in bad weather, he used electricity and I.T. as examples. Goes to show you the mindset that's out there, and how some people take their food for granted.

One thing the environmental lobby might achieve for us is legislation around packaging and the waste caused by the supply chain.

We should bring people back to the reality of what food is, combine with the healthy living movement and market the food, not the packaging

One thing the environmental lobby might achieve for us is legislation around packaging and the waste caused by the supply chain.

We should bring people back to the reality of what food is, combine with the healthy living movement and market the food, not the packaging

Sadly, farmers don’t produce food anymore, they produce commodities.
Those commodities are then miraculously turned into edible food by large manufacturers. Sometimes they make basic food even better by ‘fortifying’ it...

I was reading a report recently where nearly 60% of food consumed in UK and IRL is heavily processed. This contrasts rather strongly with less than 15% consumed in Italy, France and Spain.

Sadly, farmers don’t produce food anymore, they produce commodities.
Those commodities are then miraculously turned into edible food by large manufacturers. Sometimes they make basic food even better by ‘fortifying’ it...

I was reading a report recently where nearly 60% of food consumed in UK and IRL is heavily processed. This contrasts rather strongly with less than 15% consumed in Italy, France and Spain.
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=192&t=1277758

Back