Electric fencing 101

AYF

So. Might go down the paddock route this year. For sheep. Not going into the extremist 12hr cell grazing. Just split a few fields into 2 or 3 and have a big group in them. Can get a good round going with a block of land I have.

So recon I need 4 strands of wire.

Do I need one reel for each or can a wire be taken out and back again? (2 reels)

And whats the best place / brand for plastic poles? And should I rate a particular wire above others?

Do you want to make your own stakes and strainers?
I made strainers for the rappa here reckon they cost me 4 to 5 quid in metal and insulators
Metal stakes I was making for less than a quid with insulators

Reactions: AYF
So. Might go down the paddock route this year. For sheep. Not going into the extremist 12hr cell grazing. Just split a few fields into 2 or 3 and have a big group in them. Can get a good round going with a block of land I have.

So recon I need 4 strands of wire.

Do I need one reel for each or can a wire be taken out and back again? (2 reels)

And whats the best place / brand for plastic poles? And should I rate a particular wire above others?

Can you show pics of what you where doing, Please

I would have found that 3 strands are enough for splitting fields, it is not the end of the world if a few lambs or the odd ewe gets through now and again.
Some of the companies offer good systems for 3 strands.

Side note.

Dad's going on about just making/buying some steel posts and using normal sheep netting. Would I be any better off?

His thinking is none of our ewes are fence trained and we buy in replacements so would need fence training every year.

Side note.

Dad's going on about just making/buying some steel posts and using normal sheep netting. Would I be any better off?

His thinking is none of our ewes are fence trained and we buy in replacements so would need fence training every year.

I use electric every year for my store lambs,they soon learn.

What brands of fencers come recomended?
Looking at PEL fencers on Kiwi Kit .I know kiwi Kit are a big hit with the spring calving deciples.

I have Pel, Elephant and more recently Cheeta, made in Co.Carlow
All doing their job and repairable.
I had a couple of Lacme (French made) but the gave bother and couldn't be repaired .

Gallagher stuff is very good but very pricey.
Pel are better value maybe.
I tested an irish made fencer against an equivalent pel and the pel was better output.

I had 2 of them, both quit at different times. I got one fixed but it stopped working again after a few months .
At that stage I replaced them.
This is one of them.
20190225_095420.jpg

Don't think so at 15w draw,I'm thinking .5 joule
I don't really know. They now do a 2100 which is 1J, 2200 at 2J, 2400 at 4J
and a 2600 at 6J 7.4W
productimage-picture-607804-10_png_537x400_q85.png

They also do a 2000 which is 4J from 5W
productimage-picture-606400-569_png_537x400_q85.png

Does that equate to 15W giving around 12J?

If I remember in the morning:Thumbp2:
Its only about 3ft 6 of 40mm angle iron with a point cut on 1 end and drilled to take the insulators I linked to further up the thread

Back