Electric fencing 101

I have Pel, Elephant and more recently Cheeta, made in Co.Carlow
All doing their job and repairable.
I had a couple of Lacme (French made) but the gave bother and couldn't be repaired .

And I thought we were the only ones with an Elephant fencer. Now doing about three times the area it started with. Has even taken over from a Gallagher on an adjoining block which was quite poor to be honest.

We started off in the first fencer days with a Zodiac and an Elephant, one of them had contact breaker points inside which would need cleaning and eventually replacement. In the nineties bought a Cheetah G303 which replaced all fencers, bought it directly from Jim George who owns Cheetah. It was around £700 at the time. It started clicking fast and slow after a few years and it was repaired without question, transformer problem. No problems since and its covering a lot of ground. Four earth bars driven into a stream so no problem with earthing. Got a lightening diverter for it years ago but have misplaced it before I got around to fitting it...

We started off in the first fencer days with a Zodiac and an Elephant, one of them had contact breaker points inside which would need cleaning and eventually replacement. In the nineties bought a Cheetah G303 which replaced all fencers, bought it directly from Jim George who owns Cheetah. It was around £700 at the time. It started clicking fast and slow after a few years and it was repaired without question, transformer problem. No problems since and its covering a lot of ground. Four earth bars driven into a stream so no problem with earthing. Got a lightening diverter for it years ago but have misplaced it before I got around to fitting it...

What do you use for earth bars?

I used a copper tube but my wire rusted where it connects.

I bolted the earth to a steel framed shed thinking it would be a good earth,went to close a gate that's hung off it and it gave me a right crack.:eek3:
A lot of people make that mistake, the problem with it is that the poles of a shed are nearly always set in concrete and appearantley concrete is a poor conductor.

So. Might go down the paddock route this year. For sheep. Not going into the extremist 12hr cell grazing. Just split a few fields into 2 or 3 and have a big group in them. Can get a good round going with a block of land I have.

So recon I need 4 strands of wire.

Do I need one reel for each or can a wire be taken out and back again? (2 reels)

And whats the best place / brand for plastic poles? And should I rate a particular wire above others?

Now then DAF,
Fencing for sheep,if your gonna do it, you just as well do it right, get a rappa for your quad bike, 3 strands of wire will be enough, wire wire will be heavier but the sheep get. A better hit, plastic posts are lighter but take up more space on the bike,, metal ones you usual buy "naked" and put the insulators on your self, it can seem expensive buying the whole lot to start with but you only need buy it once, by the time you faded about and made your own corner posts et all you'd have it bought n up,
If your layout will allow it a good mains fencer will power the whole lot, and you'll spend less time time charging batteries moving fencers and getting new ones when the pikeys steal em,

@headcase what were you making your posts from?
20mm angle iron?

Almost sure someone had made posts with re-bar on here. Or were they pigtails with just one strand?

I setup a high tensile fence and clipped a battery cheetah electric fence cub to it and checked it was OK at the furthest point about 800m away-1st time going electric seems to be working!
But I can't find anywhere that says how long the battery is expected to last, if continously on-would it be 2-3weeks? and if their is any cheap fense tester that's best for its voltage(just spot checks to ensure its still working)

Also what happens if I extend the HT wire beyond 1.5km(run off lines) will the shock just get weaker - I've a single stand for beef cattle

Many thanks

I setup a high tensile fence and clipped a battery cheetah electric fence cub to it and checked it was OK at the furthest point about 800m away-1st time going electric seems to be working!
But I can't find anywhere that says how long the battery is expected to last, if continously on-would it be 2-3weeks? and if their is any cheap fense tester that's best for its voltage(just spot checks to ensure its still working)

Also what happens if I extend the HT wire beyond 1.5km(run off lines) will the shock just get weaker - I've a single stand for beef cattle

Many thanks
Change it every few days if you want the battery to last
Running a battery flat will kill it quicker than a killy thing killing it

Back