Electric fencing 101

Change it every few days if you want the battery to last
Running a battery flat will kill it quicker than a killy thing killing it
Really OK thanks hopefully one or two will nose it and learn to leave it alone.. might need to look at getting a cheap solar yoke for it.. Pitty it does not have a battery status on it.

Really OK thanks hopefully one or two will nose it and learn to leave it alone.. might need to look at getting a cheap solar yoke for it.. Pitty it does not have a battery status on it.
You can get a battery that you can flatten without shortening its life . They use them on boats and caravans . The Optima would be a bit over the top as regards price .

I’m using a leisure battery now after feckin batteries for fun.

if your battery fencer locate it in the centre of the run.

I’m using a leisure battery now after feckin batteries for fun.

if your battery fencer locate it in the centre of the run.
Bought a leisure battery here too. Much better job.

I bought a solar panel off Amazon to try and keep it topped up, tbh I'd have been better of buying a second battery and swapping round every few days.

The proper solar shockers are the way to go of you want a solar setup.

Dissimilar metals corrode against each other.
Yep and it's the steel that will corrode in preference to the copper. Same deal as a sacrificial anode.

What I do, if it's at the start of a run, is attach the copper to the redundant "tail" at the very end of the galvanized wire just after it's wrapped around itself. If it's in the middle of run you can use 6" of galvanized wire to make a hanging "U" shape attached to the wire and wrap the copper around that.

Lads. What’s the best electric fence tester out there.
I thought I saw one before that tells you what direction the fault is in? That would be great.
Also needs to tell me what power is in the fence. Thanks in advance.

Have one of each of these, dear one is very handy and says direction of fault, fear of losing it is the issue though as its so expensive.

Cheap one gets used more to be honest. Downside is having to earth the probe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230814-213303_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230814-213303_Chrome.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 28
The directional fault ones don't work that well in practice imv.
A tester that doesn't need earthing is much handier,I have a Gallagher one now that fits in the palm of your hand it's handy,I don't think it was 150 euro,maybe half that.
I bought a boundary blade knife and tester in one recently,the voltage reading is way off but it tells you that it's working or not anyway and is handy in other ways

Just wondering.. I've a cheetah cub energiser. I added a new battery and the tester is saying it's very low volts. If I clip it from the tensile wire and say onto bull wire below it it's at 7000volts(full shock) . I've the earth down fully and not sure where to start investing what the problem could be. I've reduced the length of the line but still low voltage, the tensile wire is not touching anything, all touching plugs only... Any ideas..? The enigiser was fine last year, it's about 3 years old.

What you are describing sounds very much like it's touching something that's really earthing it, maybe damaged insulator on a metal post.

The only reason the voltage could be low on the high tensile wire but fine on another is earthing.

What you are describing sounds very much like it's touching something that's really earthing it, maybe damaged insulator on a metal post.

The only reason the voltage could be low on the high tensile wire but fine on another is earthing.
Okay thanks I'm going move it a few times down the line to see if I can get a different result

Yes turned out on a post where tensile was joining another strand it was actually touching the stake post(was difficult to see the spot where it was touching )... anyway all sorted now thanks

Back