Grain prices

Maize is only just peeping in France.
It’s US maize that sets the price.
Wheat has revived due to rains but the early wheat on shallow ground has taken a big hit. Overall wheat is looking very well now but many areas have sustained frost damage.
I’ll post a few pics of frost damaged wheat and barley if I think of it.

Traditionally commodities are the usual hedge against inflation...and there’s lots of talk about inflation.

July/August 2022 wheat was offered today @ €180 (usual specs) for 8000t lots.
Barley €160 same delivery date and 8000t lots.

Last edited:
July/August 2022 wheat was offered today @ €180 (usual specs) for 8000t lots.
Barley €160 same delivery date and €8000t lots.
Misread that a couple of times, first missed the '22, then thought it was the last of '21 harvest, then read it properly. :wacko:
Are you considering letting any go at those prices?

Maize is only just peeping in France.
It’s US maize that sets the price.
Wheat has revived due to rains but the early wheat on shallow ground has taken a big hit. Overall wheat is looking very well now but many areas have sustained frost damage.
I’ll post a few pics of frost damaged wheat and barley if I think of it.

Traditionally commodities are the usual hedge against inflation...and there’s lots of talk about inflation.
Absolutely, US Maize is the largest exported commodity of all the grains and always set the tone for all cereal prices.
Just was wondering how much crops in France had improved since you were last updating us. :thumbup1:

Absolutely, US Maize is the largest exported commodity of all the grains and always set the tone for all cereal prices.
Just was wondering how much crops in France had improved since you were last updating us. :thumbup1:
Crops have turned inside out..we got 15mm on average but other areas further north got 100+mm. Wheat and barley on deep land are a picture. When we get a dry spring we get good yields and visa versa. The dry spring makes the roots go very deep chasing water and therefore get lots of other macro/micro elements also. Another 15mm would bring them home easily but the frost damage has to be accounted for yet. My estimate is 40-60% losses.

Misread that a couple of times, first missed the '22, then thought it was the last of '21 harvest, then read it properly. :wacko:
Are you considering letting any go at those prices?
I won’t sell anything for a good while. I’m still very nervous that I’ve oversold this years harvest.
I’ll keep an eye on the news/hysteria about inflation. There’s bound to be some inflation due to COVID causing delivery/production bottlenecks, not to mention all that cash sloshing around...when the mob start looking for stability it could possibly drive commodities stratospheric!
Interesting times.

I won’t sell anything for a good while. I’m still very nervous that I’ve oversold this years harvest.
I’ll keep an eye on the news/hysteria about inflation. There’s bound to be some inflation due to COVID causing delivery/production bottlenecks, not to mention all that cash sloshing around...when the mob start looking for stability it could possibly drive commodities stratospheric!
Interesting times.
Prices eased a little over the last couple of weeks, if you don't mind me asking, @Sheebadog, how are crops looking in France now?

huge tumble on cbot wheat as well. What's behind that I wonder
USDA export report.
Exports of US Maize, Wheat and Soy well behind expectations.
China has stopped buying, no shit Sherlock, they had stopped weeks ago but the US system is unable to recognise when, or more correctly, the traders are able to profit from the volatility of not knowing.

I wouldn't be over worried, say a chart for US monthly ending stocks last week and its way out of kilter compared to the last 10 year.

Any word on how the likes of this could effect price ? I see on the American groups on Facebook they have an awful drought

Attachments

• 97C0695E-D75F-4F4E-A5D9-CE7C54282F20.png
    97C0695E-D75F-4F4E-A5D9-CE7C54282F20.png
    442.2 KB · Views: 85
Any word on how the likes of this could effect price ? I see on the American groups on Facebook they have an awful drought
So far more grain growing areas in the US have been getting enough rain than are in drought, but that might change.
Winter wheat harvest is well under way in many parts of the states and yields so far have been good, but again that may change.
So prices for Spring wheat has risen in general, winter wheat prices have eased, prices for maize & soy have eased a lot, but the drought has stopped that price drop and slightly reversed it. The Continent is getting a good amount of rain, so I would expect their yields to be well above average. I think the grain markets are over valued because of money looking for a safe home and unless the US has a poor harvest grain prices will ease back another little bit still.

Last edited:
So far more grain growing areas in the US have been getting enough rain than are in drought, but that might change.
Winter wheat harvest is well under way in many parts of the states and yields so far have been good, but again that may change.
So prices for Spring wheat has risen in general, winter wheat prices have eased, prices for maize & soy have eased a lot, but the drought has stopped that price drop and slightly reversed it. The Continent is getting a good amount of rain, so I would expect their yields to be well above average. I think the grain markets are over valued because of money looking for a safe home and unless the US has a poor harvest grain prices will ease back another little bit still.
I couldn't have got that much more wrong, great to be so wrong, :wacko:

Back