how much is tillage ground making ?

indecisive sort

I might consider leasing out twenty acres for grain later in the year ( cant this spring as in GLAS ) , could be persuaded to go longer than five years .

rest of my farm i could focus on sheep as im exiting suckling and have already sold half of the cows since november 2020 .

anyway , id do the usual of offering the tenant the Greening part of the single payment or 40% or thereabouts , bearing that in mind , what would be a reasonable letting price to a man who is as straight as a dye and does everything to perfection , would 200 euro per acre with him keeping 40% of the single payment be too steep or about right in this current hot climate for land letting ?

I might consider leasing out twenty acres for grain later in the year ( cant this spring as in GLAS ) , could be persuaded to go longer than five years .

rest of my farm i could focus on sheep as im exiting suckling and have already sold half of the cows since november 2020 .

anyway , id do the usual of offering the tenant the Greening part of the single payment or 40% or thereabouts , bearing that in mind , what would be a reasonable letting price to a man who is as straight as a dye and does everything to perfection , would 200 euro per acre with him keeping 40% of the single payment be too steep or about right in this current hot climate for land letting ?

A bird in the hand , is worth 2 in the Bush.

Plenty of these high letting prices never materialise.

Is there a reason it has to be let for grain? Id imagine a dairy man would offer a lot more seeing as your willing to go longer that 5years? Thats bare minimum at 5 years, id say it would be closer to 7-10.

All they do is cost genuine renters money. The price of a ton of grain is usually the price of an acre of ground. It there or thereabouts what I pay for my acres. Others seem to be happy to work for nothing and pass their profit to landowners.

yes but is that not usually where there are no maps provided ?

if a fella was only paying around 150 per acre , he would need to be returning 100% of the single payment to the landlord ?

yes but is that not usually where there are no maps provided ?

if a fella was only paying around 150 per acre , he would need to be returning 100% of the single payment to the landlord ?
No maps is illegal if claiming BPS, so I'm not going to comment on that, as I refuse to get involved in such arrangements.

Bare decent land to me is at €150 is a fair price. Hard to mind rented ground that is overpriced and you know in your heart and soul, once the lease is up for renewal, the landlord is happy to run off to the next highest bidder.

I like to pay on time, and be paid on time, irrespective the price of corn, beef, milk, or the weather is like. I have over a half dozen landlords and seem to have a good enough relationship, so leases get renewed without much issue

No maps is illegal if claiming BPS, so I'm not going to comment on that, as I refuse to get involved in such arrangements.

Bare decent land to me is at €150 is a fair price. Hard to mind rented ground that is overpriced and you know in your heart and soul, once the lease is up for renewal, the landlord is happy to run off to the next highest bidder.

I like to pay on time, and be paid on time, irrespective the price of corn, beef, milk, or the weather is like. I have over a half dozen landlords and seem to have a good enough relationship, so leases get renewed without much issue

" illegal "

im talking about a registered lease so there will be no under the table arrangement , i understood some - majority of leases exist where the tenant draws down the BPS and Greening and either returned all or some of the money , i also understood there were leases where the landlord had no entitlements , thats what i meant by land with " no maps " , i should have said land with no entitlements

its all very well saying 150 is a fair price but surely it depends on whether there are entitlements in the picture ?

150 would be a very poor price if the tenant was drawing down over 300 euro per hectare from the entitlements attached and returning none of the money to the landlord ? , 150 would be a very decent price if the tenant was returning 100% of the entitlements to the landlord so you see saying 150 is about right is quite vague

If I lease your land, irrespective of what the entitlement position, I have to declare all the land I'm farming when filling out my BPS application.

So the "no maps" issue cant arise unless renting to someone who doesnt draw down BPS

If I lease your land, irrespective of what the entitlement position, I have to declare all the land I'm farming when filling out my BPS application.

So the "no maps" issue cant arise unless renting to someone who doesnt draw down BPS

i understand , ive clarified my position above , language error earlier

id probably settle for 180 per acre with tenant keeping 40% of the subsidies but il ask 200 seeing as fellas are going mad this year

this lad is very ambitious and is buying a lot of machinery lately so he probably is hungry to keep his gear busy

So for decent enough land, 10k/acre thats a 1.5% return, not a great return, valuations are way out!

All nice aspirational stuff, but it's very difficult to maintain any farming business on rented land.
I have as many landlords + a few. One biggish block which I have leased for the past 14 years is being taken back by the owners to farm themselves . Another block, I have 23 years, the owner died last year and the family are in a hurry to sell .Another farm I have 25 years and because of family bereavement, its for sale also.
Not really possible to replace that amount of ground. And leaves me with a pile of entitlements, looking for a home.
It really makes you appreciate what you own.

Last edited:
All nice aspirational stuff, but it's very difficult to maintain any farming business on rented land.
I have as many landlords + a few. One biggish block which I have leased for the past 14 years is being taken back by the owners to farm themselves . Another block, I have 23 years, the owner died last year and the family are a hurry to sell .Another farm I have 25 years and because of family bereavement, its for sale also.
Not really possible to replace that amount of ground. And leaves me with a pile of entitlements, looking for a home.
kinda similar position, 70% of my land is leased, just have to make sure leases overlap in case of potentially problems, and if suitable land comes up, you have to take it as you know some of the current land may become unavailable in the near future

I have as many landlords + a few. One biggish block which I have leased for the past 14 years is being taken back by the owners to farm themselves . Another block, I have 23 years, the owner died last year and the family are a hurry to sell .Another farm I have 25 years and because of family bereavement, its for sale also.

can i ask what the average cost of your rented ground is ?

Back