Massey Ferguson 165

What's the thoughts on a MF 165 Multipower, what is a tidy one making?
Depends on a few factors like what cab is on it, is it a square or round axle? Even the wheels that's on it. I'd value a tidy 165 multipower with the square axle, a sirocco flexi cab and a good set of wheels at 8-10k, now that's top of the range Tidy done up or a good original example. For the same tractor with a round axle I'd say 7-8k, just because of demand. A round axle isn't necessarily worse than a square, it's just a misconception about them, square axles with wet brakes can take a bit more dogging than the dry brakes.

Now at the other end of things you have the mk1 165s with the a4.203 and the round axle, these in the right condition can be worth as much if not more than a late model 165, especially with mutlipower. A tidy original one with say a duncan cab on it I would value at 9-12k as they just can't be got, most are too rough, been tarted up and bodged before, sent to Africa or the middle east or simply snapped up by collectors. In other words their just not there.

As you can see the price is influenced by alot of different factors but to the simple lay man they generally are obsessed with mk2 square axles with the pavt wheels and flexicab with the 8 speed box or multipower, don't ask me what it is but that's all they think about night and day and you might not be telling them otherwise.

Depends on a few factors like what cab is on it, is it a square or round axle? Even the wheels that's on it. I'd value a tidy 165 multipower with the square axle, a sirocco flexi cab and a good set of wheels at 8-10k, now that's top of the range Tidy done up or a good original example. For the same tractor with a round axle I'd say 7-8k, just because of demand. A round axle isn't necessarily worse than a square, it's just a misconception about them, square axles with wet brakes can take a bit more dogging than the dry brakes.

Now at the other end of things you have the mk1 165s with the a4.203 and the round axle, these in the right condition can be worth as much if not more than a late model 165, especially with mutlipower. A tidy original one with say a duncan cab on it I would value at 9-12k as they just can't be got, most are too rough, been tarted up and bodged before, sent to Africa or the middle east or simply snapped up by collectors. In other words their just not there.

As you can see the price is influenced by alot of different factors but to the simple lay man they generally are obsessed with mk2 square axles with the pavt wheels and flexicab with the 8 speed box or multipower, don't ask me what it is but that's all they think about night and day and you might not be telling them otherwise.
Sound for the reply. This one in picture here I plan to tidy up. Multipower square axle 165. The cab is coming off as I'll I'm hearing is the amojnt of dreadful elbow knocks from that cab

Did the 165 actually come in an 8 speed?

It was never an option new but its not to say but it is possible, their was a 135 not far from here bought new and it had an 8 speed box with a 6 speed gear lever ,he threatened to send it back because it didnt have the "right" gearbox.

Thought that was the case alright.
@Kylemcnamara I think the prices mentioned above are pie in the sky tbh, something is worth what someone is actually willing to pay for it, not what people might be asking on DD.
Very true. A tidy square axel non multipower made 11,500. No engine reconditioned or anything like that just tidy respray and all the cosmetics. I'm sure the mechanical things are all perfect nonetheless

Very true. A tidy square axel non multipower made 11,500. No engine reconditioned or anything like that just tidy respray and all the cosmetics. I'm sure the mechanical things are all perfect nonetheless

It would want to be a minter at that in my book, way overpriced.

Fair chance nash with the Q CAB legislation this side of the water they were off the market by that time, notice that leaflet the metric speeds are in the left hand column and imperial on the right, vice versa with UK ones

Fair chance nash with the Q CAB legislation this side of the water they were off the market by that time, notice that leaflet the metric speeds are in the left hand column and imperial on the right, vice versa with UK ones

Very fair point. Something tells me they were introduced in 76.

Sound for the reply. This one in picture here I plan to tidy up. Multipower square axle 165. The cab is coming off as I'll I'm hearing is the amojnt of dreadful elbow knocks from that cab
Has she the wet brakes or the dry brakes? I wouldn't blame you, them cabs are woeful loud, a flexi cab would look nice on it. Is the Mutlipower working alright, wouldn't take a whole pile to put her right if she's mechanically sound, she'd be valuable enough with the multi power

Thought that was the case alright.
@Kylemcnamara I think the prices mentioned above are pie in the sky tbh, something is worth what someone is actually willing to pay for it, not what people might be asking on DD.
They are willing to pay much more going from the crazy auction prices as of lately and what's being offered for them around here. The owner of the tractor above was offered 7k by 3 different people and he wouldn't take it, ourselves included. At the minute the prices of tractors is nuts but in saying that I couldn't see lads getting the money they're getting now for them this time next year.

Multi powers were the " Poor man's " tractor on the sh market when the 100 series were at that stage . To fix a multiplier and the independent pto , when it expired , was costing near £2000 in the late 80s to early 90s .

I bought a round axle 203 engined 165 in 1991 for £600 .. now it was very very off farm , had no battery nor feck all wiring , poor tyres. But it worked here 15 years .

Multi powers were the " Poor man's " tractor on the sh market when the 100 series were at that stage . To fix a multiplier and the independent pto , when it expired , was costing near £2000 in the late 80s to early 90s .

I bought a round axle 203 engined 165 in 1991 for £600 .. now it was very very off farm , had no battery nor feck all wiring , poor tyres. But it worked here 15 years .
Spot on with that one, a friend of mine made a career of switching out multipower boxes or welding the pack in the 100 series masseys in the late 80s and then onto the rubicks boxes in the smaller ford's in the mid 90s. As he said its funny how things change, lads went from not wanting them at all to being willing to pay extra for a tractor with it.

Back