Massey Ferguson

we have a 1979 168 still on the original engine with 6.5khrs or thereabouts on the clock. Its v slow to start now and burns a small drop of oil. It also has a new C&G cab, the original cab was a lamboun cab, it was one of the v last. It was one of the v last of the 168s.

Father thinks it was 10k pounds in 1979 with a quicke 2030 loader

we have a 1979 168 still on the original engine with 6.5khrs or thereabouts on the clock. Its v slow to start now and burns a small drop of oil. It also has a new C&G cab, the original cab was a lamboun cab, it was one of the v last. It was one of the v last of the 168s.

New 290 4wd here in 1986 was £10k,3 years later a 390 4wd was £14k.

The Ford 5600 here was £4100 , with PS , Dual Power , 13.6 x 36 wheels and no PUH.

An uncle bought a lovely 1978 Duncan cabbed 168 in 1987 with 2750 hours for 4500.
I only vaguely remember the Viva,the 148 went before I was 5 but I still remember it baling with the bamford bl58.

A tidy Viva would be worth good money nowadays ,not as much as a tidy 148 though.

I could find 2 148s , that i know of . 1 restored , but lightly used by its original 85 year old owner.
The other in the same family ownership since 1980 odd. Rough , on a yard scraper now.

Vauxhall Vivas though would be very scarce . Bland enough when new , rusted like there was no tomorrow , Engines not particularily long lived.

Can anyone explain why that 188 made so much money? Because it was so original? Or had it very low hours Or what was the reason?

Can anyone explain why that 188 made so much money? Because it was so original? Or had it very low hours Or what was the reason?
2 people that got carried away is what im thinking. if only we had bidders as enthusiastic as them at the mart

Last edited:
A mf 165 here for smaller jobs now .dad bought her 2nd hand in 1972 for 1200 pound.he put 1500 hours on her the 1st yr he had it.its still on same engine with the only spanner it seen was to open the oil plug.its using s drop of oil.clock stopped nearly 20 yr ago and it was round the clock well at that stage.he always claimed it was a way better tractor than the 188 we had.
165 is enjoying retirement these days on a 10cube redrock feeder.

I suspect it could only make that money if that tractor specifically had some sentimental value based on previous ownership etc.

I suspect it could only make that money if that tractor specifically had some sentimental value based on previous ownership etc.
I was thinking the same thing, then wondered what the chances of finding two people with a strong attachment to it would be.

Its not quite nice enough to make very big money, it made mega money.
It will frustrate the new owner looking at the rusty dash etc.

I was thinking the same thing, then wondered what the chances of finding two people with a strong attachment to it would be.
Or one with a strong desire and another a friend of the seller Or arch enemy of the buyer!!

I listened to the live auction ,the bids were coming from all over the place more so with the 188, some of the others it was down to 2 bidders near the end, just wait , the over priced garbage will appear for sale in the next week or so.

A 2007 tier 2 5465, what would be lads verdict on one of these? Dyna 4, these were a perkins engine? How would they be reliability wise. Would be for replacing the 4260 here.

A 2007 tier 2 5465, what would be lads verdict on one of these? Dyna 4, these were a perkins engine? How would they be reliability wise. Would be for replacing the 4260 here.
I’d imagen it should be a fairly good tractor, cousin of mine has a 5470 08 tier 2 and he does all his own work on a silage wagon, 2500 tanker etc and it never got anything only a service with 9k hours. Someone else might know more but one thing I do know is the T3 5460 has a caterpillar head and they were notorious piles of sh1te. I think it’s only some of them 5460’s that are that way but if you could get onto a MF mechanic or maybe someone on this could confirm that the 5465 isn’t the same way

I’d imagen it should be a fairly good tractor, cousin of mine has a 5470 08 tier 2 and he does all his own work on a silage wagon, 2500 tanker etc and it never got anything only a service with 9k hours. Someone else might know more but one thing I do know is the T3 5460 has a caterpillar head and they were notorious piles of sh1te. I think it’s only some of them 5460’s that are that way but if you could get onto a MF mechanic or maybe someone on this could confirm that the 5465 isn’t the same way
5470 on a 2500g tanker? One brave man going on the hills he is

Local baling man had both 54 and 64 65's
He does piping aswell.claimed the 6465 was a million miles ahead of the 5465 in terms of traction and travelling wet ground

Back