Nozzles and water and speed

As far as I remember the IDK"N" is a very similar nozzle that produces a very slightly coarser droplet size that allowed them meet the 90% drift reduction regs in 03 (blue) and 04 (red).
It is a while since I looked into it.

Hey. Which of the nozzles will be better for fungicide and insecticide spraying in OSR and wheat? Guardian Air Twin or TeeJet TTJ60?

Bought a used sprayer in January that's fitted with Hypro Guardian Air 4's. AFAIK 3 bar is the optimum pressure but how low can the pressure be reduced without significantly affecting performance? Would like to get as close as possible to 160 l/ha at 8kph.

Bought a used sprayer in January that's fitted with Hypro Guardian Air 4's. AFAIK 3 bar is the optimum pressure but how low can the pressure be reduced without significantly affecting performance? Would like to get as close as possible to 160 l/ha at 8kph.
It depends on target, no issue with low pressure if not targeting small weeds or grasses.
But GAs work better at a higher speed and from 2bars up the coverage will be better.
10km at 2 bars will be close to what you want and give better performance.

It depends on target, no issue with low pressure if not targeting small weeds or grasses.
But GAs work better at a higher speed and from 2bars up the coverage will be better.
10km at 2 bars will be close to what you want and give better performance.
Thanks. We were used to doing 160 l/ha at 5 bar and 8km with yellow Nozal AFX jets on the last sprayer so 2 bar seems incredibly low. I'm a little wary of letting the boss man away at the breakneck speeds of 10 kph so we might have to settle for reduced acres/tank until I get a set of 2.5s or 3's.

Does anybody know what size the original Amistar nozzles are? They’re blue/green 025 /03 or something else, it doesn’t seem to be marked any where on them. I need to know the size to put it into the rate controller. Also where could buy a few new ones.

Does anybody know what size the original Amistar nozzles are? They’re blue/green 025 /03 or something else, it doesn’t seem to be marked any where on them. I need to know the size to put it into the rate controller. Also where could buy a few new ones.
How many are you looking for?
I have a handful or so never used.
Or Fintan Kealy.

Last edited:
Hi MidCork, I use Hypro Guardian Air 110 03 Blue in colour. I think there the nozzle that your referring to. I have them set in the dp tronic at 1.18 l/min flow rate. I usually spray at 178- 180l/ ha @ about 3 bar around the 8km/ hr. I got my nozzles through Spraytek- Fintin Kiely - 087 8258043 and he couldn't have been more helpful to deal with... hope this is of some use to you!

The very very first amistar nozzles were indeed 0.25. They were a kind of paler blue than @horsebox44 ‘s one.

If memory serves me right, the colour coding of these nozzles changed a bit when they brought out more sizes than just the 0.25.

The original 0.25 Amistar nozzle has the same shade of blue used in the original branding of the Amistar spray.
They were designed to spray the Amistar chemical at an angle so it could get in around the spiklets of a wheat ear and thus control fusarium. Then people copped that the nozzles were good for lots of spraying tasks.

I probably have a bag of them if I root around
I’ll check

My sprayer while being a 2006 model came with triple head nozzles but have the old style metal disc and white fan jet inside. The disc options are 12, 15 and 18. The disc I use is 18 which at 9km/hr and 2 bar pressure puts out 18 gal/acre in imperial measurements. Recently I went to update them all to the low drift nozzles etc but the jets and cup holders both need replacing to suit sprayer. Being a berthoud the nozzle spacings are close, the price was a lot more than expected so I still am using 18 discs...they do a great job in calm conditions but are they worth replacing in general? The sprayer does about 300 acres annually.

My sprayer while being a 2006 model came with triple head nozzles but have the old style metal disc and white fan jet inside. The disc options are 12, 15 and 18. The disc I use is 18 which at 9km/hr and 2 bar pressure puts out 18 gal/acre in imperial measurements. Recently I went to update them all to the low drift nozzles etc but the jets and cup holders both need replacing to suit sprayer. Being a berthoud the nozzle spacings are close, the price was a lot more than expected so I still am using 18 discs...they do a great job in calm conditions but are they worth replacing in general? The sprayer does about 300 acres annually.

I don’t think there is any nozzle type that can match the cone type nozzles you have for coverage, the fine droplet size and the multi angle direction of the spray is a great design. That said, modern fan nozzles give excellent coverage too.
However, the cones are very drifty.

Are your spacings less than 50cm? If so I’d imagine your choice of modern nozzles might be quite limited?

It’s up to yourself really, you have to compare the benefit of being able to spray in less calm conditions with the cost to upgrade.

Another factor to consider is spray buffer zones near open water courses (if you have any). Under the “STRIPE” rules, certain low drift nozzles allow a large reduction in the required buffer zone.

http://www.pcs.agriculture.gov.ie/p...educingtheimpactofpesticidesintheenvironment/

Most Berthouds used to come with 33 cm spacing (but not all). Both mine are 50cms.

You could just put 80' flat fans on the existing holders which will reduce drift a bit but wont get close to air nozzles and wont cost the earth.

I don’t think there is any nozzle type that can match the cone type nozzles you have for coverage, the fine droplet size and the multi angle direction of the spray is a great design. That said, modern fan nozzles give excellent coverage too.
However, the cones are very drifty.

Are your spacings less than 50cm? If so I’d imagine your choice of modern nozzles might be quite limited?

It’s up to yourself really, you have to compare the benefit of being able to spray in less calm conditions with the cost to upgrade.

Another factor to consider is spray buffer zones near open water courses (if you have any). Under the “STRIPE” rules, certain low drift nozzles allow a large reduction in the required buffer zone.

http://www.pcs.agriculture.gov.ie/p...educingtheimpactofpesticidesintheenvironment/
Yes my spacings are 33cms and I have one watercourse (which is dry during spraying season) that I need to keep in mind. As Titan8820 says the flat fan might qualify me for STRIPE at low cost.

Back