Ploughing

I hope the ploughed ground didn't get the showers that we got this morning around 11.
It did unfortunately. Not as bad as some areas but the fresh soil got tacky quickly.
We were at plots in Shanagarry and it looked very dark to our west and south. We stopped for a while but got going again.
A couple of light showers were forecast for the morning but nothing like what arrived.

It did unfortunately. Not as bad as some areas but the fresh soil got tacky quickly.
We were at plots in Shanagarry and it looked very dark to our west and south. We stopped for a while but got going again.
A couple of light showers were forecast for the morning but nothing like what arrived.
We have a field of pixel left to do and I'm glad we didnt start at it yesterday cause that shower would definitely have stopped us up.
Will you get it sown before Monday?
Seen a few local today sowing.
Forecast not too bad again after Mondays rain from what I can see anyway.

We have a field of pixel left to do and I'm glad we didnt start at it yesterday cause that shower would definitely have stopped us up.
Will you get it sown before Monday?
Seen a few local today sowing.
Forecast not too bad again after Mondays rain from what I can see anyway.
We got the wheat finished yesterday, a couple of acres were a bit tacky but it dried up nicely as the evening progressed. It wasn’t much rain but the soil was fresh. No soil sticking to tyres after that acre or two. Headlands were ploughed once the body of the fields were planted.E4C497BE-17AE-4381-972A-ADE19F54E893.jpeg

We planted around the barley & wheat trial plots in Shanagarry this afternoon. Lovely conditions but it had been ploughed with a few days and wasn’t fresh.

We haven’t rolled anything this autumn as the soil is delicate underneath.

nastey stuff

Attachments

• E5E4B912-D247-4200-B8FC-D6BDD9C6A7F4.jpeg
    E5E4B912-D247-4200-B8FC-D6BDD9C6A7F4.jpeg
    505.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 963797F2-35B8-4DC2-9745-ACC4FBD4EC89.jpeg
    963797F2-35B8-4DC2-9745-ACC4FBD4EC89.jpeg
    493 KB · Views: 116
I am back in small fields, even though they are not ideal for the plough, it still gets across the work faster than anything else. Fractionally less than an hour to plough the centre of a 2.25ha field.
View attachment 83340View attachment 83341View attachment 83342View attachment 83343View attachment 83344

That is some going , gone.

And its tilled as well.. That is the difference in " Tillage ground " , and ground that people plough , and are dissappointed in how it performs.

Well @CORK are you happy with the No:28 boards? Do you see a difference from the slats? I think those boards do a fine job.

nastey stuff

I rest my case.

@jf 850 that ground was left idle for the last 20 years, was only ploughed in May with 6 inches of none burned off yellow sh1te that the mower wouldn’t even cut. I’d be fairly confident this time next year there won’t be a trace of it in the field

Ploughing maize stubbles for barley today. Heavy going, massive balls of roots, seriously impressive rooting for only 5 months in the ground. Ploughed is awful but tilled out lovely as the roots had all the clay stuck together

Attachments

• BCCCD01D-8AB9-42E5-BEF4-68AAEC149917.jpeg
    BCCCD01D-8AB9-42E5-BEF4-68AAEC149917.jpeg
    520 KB · Views: 80
  • BA83F3F3-81D0-4496-B24C-F676C60F7D15.jpeg
    BA83F3F3-81D0-4496-B24C-F676C60F7D15.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 213956CA-B61C-4921-84B4-36F6B64E7ED3.jpeg
    213956CA-B61C-4921-84B4-36F6B64E7ED3.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 22B3C147-3B33-4DBA-9DEF-638A5025A742.jpeg
    22B3C147-3B33-4DBA-9DEF-638A5025A742.jpeg
    441.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 31CCC8CD-F128-4852-A762-1152968B2145.jpeg
    31CCC8CD-F128-4852-A762-1152968B2145.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 80
nastey stuff

@jf 850 that ground was left idle for the last 20 years, was only ploughed in May with 6 inches of none burned off yellow sh1te that the mower wouldn’t even cut. I’d be fairly confident this time next year there won’t be a trace of it in the field

I know the scraw will have rotted by next year.

But it is heavy glaumy clay .
An expensive hobby to be planting cereals in land like that. Break man and machine.

nastey stuff
Keep an eye on how that soil reacts to been ploughed like that and at this time of the year. It might turn inside out next year and be in super order or it might be much the same. I've one field over near Templemore (Tipp) that ploughs up like that and I've taken it out of winter cereals as it just wasn't performing and was actually going back. It loves spring ploughing though and grows bloody good crops of sb.

An expensive hobby to be planting cereals in land like that. Break man and machine.
My whole farm is heavy ground, that is very wet at the moment, it got a lot of slurry which didn’t help

nastey stuff

Keep an eye on how that soil reacts to been ploughed like that and at this time of the year. It might turn inside out next year and be in super order or it might be much the same. I've one field over near Templemore (Tipp) that ploughs up like that and I've taken it out of winter cereals as it just wasn't performing and was actually going back. It loves spring ploughing though and grows bloody good crops of sb.
Would horsing dung on ground like that help it tilling better after a couple of years?

My whole farm is heavy ground, that is very wet at the moment, it got a lot of slurry which didn’t help

I would have some ground of a similarly heavy nature , but also have some fairly good ground . I sowed 1 field of barley for my own use , up to 2018 . I needed the land worse for silage , so reseeded it to grass.
Sowing corn in marginal land is a waste of time , energy and money . I tried it often often enough , breaking down /levelling reclaimed or land that was never ploughed.
Every farm around here had a field of tillage but over the last 15 years it has died out . There is one lad growing organic malting barley a mile away , and the next nearest grain would be 3 miles away .
There is a reason if land wasnt ploughed in a generation or 2.
It didn't make financial sense to do so.

I would have some ground of a similarly heavy nature , but also have some fairly good ground . I sowed 1 field of barley for my own use , up to 2018 . I needed the land worse for silage , so reseeded it to grass.
Sowing corn in marginal land is a waste of time , energy and money . I tried it often often enough , breaking down /levelling reclaimed or land that was never ploughed.
Every farm around here had a field of tillage but over the last 15 years it has died out . There is one lad growing organic malting barley a mile away , and the next nearest grain would be 3 miles away .
There is a reason if land wasnt ploughed in a generation or 2.
It didn't make financial sense to do so.
You just have to do what suits your system, our farm was always in tillage and the father got out of it because he was cattle mad and didn’t have the interest in crops, it was a big risk going back into it a couple of years ago but Iv never been as glad we did, As I said before there’s as much out of it as there was cattle but with less hardship, now I never had winter stuff till this year so I could be seriously regretting that statement soon but in the case of spring cropping I’ll stand by it. I’m far from an expert in crops only for members here such as @gone I’d be making a dogs dinner of some jobs but it is turning money as of now anyway which is what it’s about I suppose. The biggest factor I suppose is I did my turn in college and I don’t know will I eventually go for work down that route or stay with that I’m at, but if I do tillage will be the only thing that suits the system too

I don't think it will have rotted by next year.
You'd imagine it would but I've turned down some awful shite here and 5 years later it's still there.
Granted not as bad but it's not gone either
Would horsing dung on ground like that help it tilling better after a couple of years?
You'd want to be putting crazy amounts on every year to make any odds id say.
That white clay stuff is savage abrasive on machinery

I don't think it will have rotted by next year.
You'd imagine it would but I've turned down some awful shite here and 5 years later it's still there.
Granted not as bad but it's not gone either

You'd want to be putting crazy amounts on every year to make any odds id say.
That white clay stuff is savage abrasive on machinery
The stuff that was there 5 years later, did you plough it every year for 5 years or did you plough it 5 years ago and then say this year.

You just have to do what suits your system, our farm was always in tillage and the father got out of it because he was cattle mad and didn’t have the interest in crops, it was a big risk going back into it a couple of years ago but Iv never been as glad we did, As I said before there’s as much out of it as there was cattle but with less hardship, now I never had winter stuff till this year so I could be seriously regretting that statement soon but in the case of spring cropping I’ll stand by it. I’m far from an expert in crops only for members here such as @gone I’d be making a dogs dinner of some jobs but it is turning money as of now anyway which is what it’s about I suppose. The biggest factor I suppose is I did my turn in college and I don’t know will I eventually go for work down that route or stay with that I’m at, but if I do tillage will be the only thing that suits the system too
It looks to have a high clay content (pet hate of mine when people refer to soil in general as “clay”).
The chances of doing tillage on that soil will depend a lot on how well drained it is. It’s probably slow to soak but a reasonable fall and open drains can make a big difference.

Winter barley will probably struggle in it during the winter. Winter wheat would be a tougher plant altogether. Winter Oilseed Rape could work too. If the autumn comes too wet to plant then an April crop of spring barley is probably the back up plan.
We have some low lying land with high clay areas in it and the the above cropping is what we try to do.
This land can be harder to farm but for some reason it usually yields more than we expect. Obviously pH, P & K have to be kept right just like any land.

A great plough to handle trash, even driver error trash.
View attachment 83498
Had it’s newer replacement out on demo for a few days, while a very nice plough I’m still not sure, the kv 28 still does very nice work and I think it did a bit nicer work in some ley we ploughed on Saturday,had one out 2 years ago and the weight transfer on the newer one seems better. Takes a bit of getting used to but serious plough to cover ground.

Attachments

• 0B5A7395-6AB5-435C-854E-482B5D5A4A17.png
    0B5A7395-6AB5-435C-854E-482B5D5A4A17.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 91
  • 52ED4657-2A2E-44D4-A32B-EA20E8EA2D8A.jpeg
    52ED4657-2A2E-44D4-A32B-EA20E8EA2D8A.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 91
A great plough to handle trash, even driver error trash.
View attachment 83498
Are you still on the durramaxx metal.we had to get rid of our juwel 8 couldn't keep slats on it breaking the glue on the clips all the time.wouldbt be majorly stoney ground.also the sheer pin with the rectangular head seems a tad ott at 60 or 70 euro a pop when they break like carrots in heavy land.

Back