shooting/hunting

Just went out for a couple of hours.

I wouldn’t have big shooting experience but was very happy with the output. About 8 or 9 more pigeons fell into the next field.

I didn’t use the magnet as the crop was very low. Changed the gun recently and find it much more accurate than the last one, it might be the choke that I’m using.
The face veil and gloves are a help too I think.
View attachment 87095View attachment 87096View attachment 87097
Nothing in the second picture
Just some twigs 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn’t have big shooting experience but was very happy with the output. About 8 or 9 more pigeons fell into the next field.

I didn’t use the magnet as the crop was very low. Changed the gun recently and find it much more accurate than the last one, it might be the choke that I’m using.
The veil suits you!

Great shooting especially the grey crows they are horrible vermin 👍

Great shooting especially the grey crows they are horrible vermin 👍
I’ve been out a couple of times since but not as successful.
Have a magnet now which can help.
The half choke in the gun seems to be giving great range, knocked a couple at distance the other day that surprised me.

I’ve been out a couple of times since but not as successful.
Have a magnet now which can help.
The half choke in the gun seems to be giving great range, knocked a couple at distance the other day that surprised me.
What no cartridge are you using?

Good stooping power in them. I've never used them must see if I can get a box
Yes, I think the 32gram is good for making sure they go down.
A friend told me the other day that Remington were gone into liquidation (again) but who knows.
I’ve used cheaper cartridges and found them fine for most jobs.

Yes, I think the 32gram is good for making sure they go down.
A friend told me the other day that Remington were gone into liquidation (again) but who knows.
I’ve used cheaper cartridges and found them fine for most jobs.
Lyevale Express Pigeon specials I used to swear by
Ounce and a eigth load sixes
I have literally shot tens of thousands of them over the years

On crow business today. There wouldn’t be a big population at this location (I’ve never seen more than 30 there at one time). It’s even smaller now so hopefully less damage to the emerging wheat.

I took a bit of time cutting branches to make a hide, it made quite a difference as they really couldn’t spot me.

40CBD12B-41CF-4348-9640-3F7E7994ECCB.jpeg9FABA995-8080-4CC9-BCA2-7B552EA7F2E8.jpeg

Last edited:
On crow business today. There wouldn’t be a big population at this location (I’ve never seen more than 30 there at one time). It’s even smaller now so hopefully less damage to the emerging wheat.

I took a bit of time cutting branches to make a hide, it made quite a difference as they really couldn’t spot me.

View attachment 117085View attachment 117086
Good going J.
How long did you have to spend to get that many? Did they keep coming back? I find that if I shot 1 or 2 that they won't come back to that area for several hours

Last edited:
Good going J.
How long did you have to spend to get that many? Did they keep coming back? I find that if I shot 1 or 2 that they won't come back to that area for several hours
Half a day, it was relatively busy for the first couple of hours but it quietened off. I’ve been watching the area with a while and it’s a low population there. I’d think I got about half the crows in that area based on what I’ve seen. I’ll go again next week.

I use the dead ones as decoys to attract them, it’s important not to leave them upside down as crows will see that they are dead. Once I’ve shot a few, I arrange them to look like they are feeding (beak tip in ground) and wings folded in. Little y shaped sticks to prop the heads of a few. Camouflage etc also important. You soon notice if they can see you. I knew I was well hidden as a magpie landed near me and they’d spot anything. Also the pigeons didn’t see me and they have excellent eye sight. I’m only a novice but learning all the time and I enjoy it.

Last edited:
Half a day, it was relatively busy for the first couple of hours but it quietened off. I’ve been watching the area with a while and it’s a low population there. I’d think I got about half the crows in that area based on what I’ve seen. I’ll go again next week.

I use the dead ones as decoys to attract them, it’s important not to leave them upside down as crows will see that they are dead. Once I’ve shot a few, I arrange them to look like they are feeding (beak tip in ground) and wings folded in. Little y shaped sticks to prop the heads of a few. Camouflage etc also important. You soon notice if they can see you. I knew I was well hidden as a magpie landed near me and they’d spot anything. Also the pigeons didn’t see me and they have excellent eye sight. I’m only a novice but learning all the time and I enjoy it.
ive decoyed behind the red plastic road netting before now 👍

I was told that a long time ago when I was going to get a silencer, maybe it's a fairy tale
I had one on my .22, I didn’t notice any issue but I’d imagine that it would take some power out of the shot. Keeping it steady was my challenge. A rabbit at 90m was my best shot.

why? i never heard of that before
It is very small, but if shooting at distance they will change the bullet's trajectory.

To be honest I have never used it without a silencer. Ammunition would have bigger influence I reckon. Sub sonic has less of a range but no noise. Super sonic has longer range but creates a noise with the silencer.
Sub sonics are traveling under the speed of sound so wont go as far as supersonics which obviously break the sound barrier and produce a "sonic boom crack" going down range
My hmr gives off a decent crack out of the silencer

Back