Small scale lime spreading

This is very small scale but got one of these agitators for the single disc spreader. We had a couple acres in meadow when the bulk was spread a few weeks ago. Moved the last 2/3 tonne into the shed to let it dry out after rain and put it out today. Worked ok. Recommended on the cosmo website for sand/powdered fertilisers.

IMG_7883.jpeg

Pic from cosmo website
IMG_7864.jpeg

There's 2 lads with lime spreaders bought close to here in the last year or 2. There's no bother getting it spread. I couldn't justify one at this stage.
is " jedward " one of them that spreads,he did tell me he bought a small spreader alright

is " jedward " one of them that spreads,he did tell me he bought a small spreader alright
Not that I know of. Would he have the time/patience? There's one across the bridge here and another that spread for us last year from drumshanbo.

Would a normal disc fertilizer spreader do for lime? Or is granulated lime needed? There’s about twelve acres here that the current lime man won’t do, tbf it is on the side of a hill but we’re able to top and spread it ourselves

Would a normal disc fertilizer spreader do for lime? Or is granulated lime needed? There’s about twelve acres here that the current lime man won’t do, tbf it is on the side of a hill but we’re able to top and spread it ourselves
Thats what we were at. Standard single disc with the agitator. Roughly spread 1.5 tonne to the acre. Did require a bit of trial and error but got a decent rythym by last couple of loads. Keep it as dry as possibld though

This is very small scale but got one of these agitators for the single disc spreader. We had a couple acres in meadow when the bulk was spread a few weeks ago. Moved the last 2/3 tonne into the shed to let it dry out after rain and put it out today. Worked ok. Recommended on the cosmo website for sand/powdered fertilisers.

View attachment 125113

Pic from cosmo website
View attachment 125115
I find it hard to believe that agitator, doesn’t twist into a hoop

I find it hard to believe that agitator, doesn’t twist into a hoop
Amazone also had an agitator for their older type double spinner spreaders - it consisted of a metal ring bolted to the top of the divider in the spreader, the agitator was then bolted to the top of the spreading disc so that it spun within the metal ring and didn't hit the sides. I found this information on another forum - the guy was getting on fairly well spreading lime with it - he then added a 12v vibrating motor to the side of the spreader to help with flow and it worked a treat.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record. We have a very small window for spreading lime this year and been approved for over €1200 of a subsidy between the 2 farms here. We have spoken to the regular contractor and to 2 other contractors in the last week since we saw a sign of improvement in the weather and its unlikely that any of them will be able to come to us before the end of the month (in contractor speak, that likely means the end of next month).

If a lad had a way of spreading his own lime it would be useful now. :huh::huh::huh:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record. We have a very small window for spreading lime this year and been approved for over €1200 of a subsidy between the 2 farms here. We have spoken to the regular contractor and to 2 other contractors in the last week since we saw a sign of improvement in the weather and its unlikely that any of them will be able to come to us before the end of the month (in contractor speak, that likely means the end of next month).

If a lad had a way of spreading his own lime it would be useful now. :huh::huh::huh:
try jedward, he'd do around home for ya probably, he has the grass in so mighten be to busy

There’s 2 men the far side of ballinamore if you wanted to try them il get a number for ya. Both keen for work and new customers

How friendly are you with the regular guy? Is there any chance he’d hire you just the spreader for the ground that won’t travel in the next month if he does the rest himself when he can?

How friendly are you with the regular guy? Is there any chance he’d hire you just the spreader for the ground that won’t travel in the next month if he does the rest himself when he can?

Like the other guys, he's quite busy with the spreader because people got approval for the liming scheme in the last 2 weeks so me borrowing it wouldn't be a runner

Like the other guys, he's quite busy with the spreader because people got approval for the liming scheme in the last 2 weeks so me borrowing it wouldn't be a runner
That rules it out unfortunately then, wasn’t sure if it was a case he was busy with other work and leaving the lime jobs to the days he can’t move at other stuff!

Back