Small scale lime spreading

how does a single spinner work with lime, does it apply evenly

You end up going in circles,the sower on done deal has had the spinner running too fast as it’s worn the paint off the plate.

We had a tasker pattinson then an econ,they were very poor at spreading but the ground related drive was great.

toying with making a small scale lime spreader, but only single spinner, keep it simple and cheap. haven't seen a simple double spinner set up yet

toying with making a small scale lime spreader, but only single spinner, keep it simple and cheap. haven't seen a simple double spinner set up yet

I've been toying with the same idea a few years now but there is other stuff to do first. The spinners was the one that was puzzling me as well. I thought this was probably the easiest way to do it. Four pulleys and a belt.

F2%20spinner%20box.JPG

knew there was a belt set up but couldn't get any ideas how. trying too do it without oil as all tractors here are different oil flows.

What size do you consider small scale?
A friend of mine is planning on making me a drop spreader for lime. It will be 8ft wide, have controls to control the drop rate, have a hydraulic powered roller and rotor to drop the lime and prevent bridging. It will carry approx 1.5 ton at a time. It will be on a hydraulic toplink allowing it to be self loading. He has plans sketched up. Loosely based on something like this.
9TY7T3gsdY_dCCnbxhQzj0MdeWkMsaki5KoD23seJFzYCXHGGC2qMpuGUorcXwvVOf5xzFZLIcyxVnZHQmsd7EBVWbIhzOmI2LiYGp9Dseka_6QK-eORrECvtA

knew there was a belt set up but couldn't get any ideas how. trying too do it without oil as all tractors here are different oil flows.
I wanted to do it without oil as well. I think you are from the Dungannon area, if you go into Alexander Mills there was a lime spreader there two months ago, and it has that setup on it. The cover is off the belts and it would give you a good idea how it works if its still there.

The agitator used to be used for spreading Basic slag . You learned not to put too much in the hopper. The other thing with damper products was stuff would stick to the inside of the spout and Vicon had a rubber sleeve to go inside the spout. Enough hardship in the world without putting clammy stuff in a Vicon.

One of my 1st memories was shovelling fert to the rear of the trailed Vicon when the auger had bust,I must have been 7 or 8 year old.

One of my 1st memories was shovelling fert to the rear of the trailed Vicon when the auger had bust,I must have been 7 or 8 year old.
I just drove on and only filled the back of the spreader. Shoveled it back at the end of the day. When spreading low rates I used lift the pawl on the ratchet to stop it piling it up at the back of the spreader. At high rates eg beet compound it sometimes was necessary to stop spreading to give it time to auger it back .

The agitator used to be used for spreading Basic slag . You learned not to put too much in the hopper. The other thing with damper products was stuff would stick to the inside of the spout and Vicon had a rubber sleeve to go inside the spout. Enough hardship in the world without putting clammy stuff in a Vicon.
Used get landed with the job of spreading basic slag with a mounted Vicon, put in a cwt. bag, sprinkle a pint of water, cwt.of slag, pint of water and so on until the spreader was full, helped to keep down the dust but you'd still come home looking like a chimney sweep not to mention how much was inside you.

The cousin bought this spreader a few years to increase output spreading fertiliser. Last year both of us had quite a bit of lime to go out so we decided to try a load and see. It worked out very well spreading at rates of 2/3 tons /acre.

20200506_151244.jpg

The cousin bought this spreader a few years to increase output spreading fertiliser. Last year both of us had quite a bit of lime to go out so we decided to try a load and see. It worked out very well spreading at rates of 2/3 tons /acre.

View attachment 84883

We were spreading lime with it today and the belt driving the disks broke. We put on a new belt but thats coming under pressure too. There is supposed to be two belts on the pulley but we cant get them to run together so only one is used. The shafts and pulleys arent in great shape. Where would new ones be located?

Back