Small scale lime spreading

Ah I saw that today. It looks well rusted on the chassis.

Has anyone bought anything from Mick on my recommendation?

I have another plan in the pipeline that should come into bloom in the spring.

I cant recall you recommending him :Whistle2:

Anyone got a self loading muck spreader? I was on a farm recently and they have one. The owner claims to have used it to spread sand that was used to bed horses. Recons it would spread lime easily. There is a company in the north that manufacturers them and they too claim that it will spread lime. Have a good bit of bedding this year that I hope to compost and was looking at a way to spread it. A machine capable of spreading both would be useful. (Either mixed or separate - bearing in mind that lime can affect n levels ). Years ago we spread lime mixed with dung in an old side slinger and it worked well. I have a friend into welding and he recons that he could make one. Have a hydraulic top link and PTO shaft and might be able to salvage some other bits from old machines that would save on cost.

Anyone got a self loading muck spreader? I was on a farm recently and they have one. The owner claims to have used it to spread sand that was used to bed horses. Recons it would spread lime easily. There is a company in the north that manufacturers them and they too claim that it will spread lime. Have a good bit of bedding this year that I hope to compost and was looking at a way to spread it. A machine capable of spreading both would be useful. (Either mixed or separate - bearing in mind that lime can affect n levels ). Years ago we spread lime mixed with dung in an old side slinger and it worked well. I have a friend into welding and he recons that he could make one. Have a hydraulic top link and PTO shaft and might be able to salvage some other bits from old machines that would save on cost.
Your some man to draw hardship and work on yourself

Your some man to draw hardship and work on yourself

Ara work is no problem to me and hardship, well I believe that only when you experience it, do you really appreciate what you have. I'm only trying to make the place better for the next generation as much as is affordable as my father, his father and his grandfather did before me. I have all of the ground done with lime that's accessible by the contractor and I'd like to bring the rest of it up to the same level. I also believe that compost is something that a lot of farmers will have to look at in the future with the likely reduced allowances for chemical fertilizers. I'm only trying to make the most of what I have. Tis no crime!

Last edited:
Youd be an awful long time spreading very little with that.
If you got lime tipped close to where you were spreading you would not be long spreading 20 ton with that self loading spreader near the end of the video.

If you got lime tipped close to where you were spreading you would not be long spreading 20 ton with that self loading spreader near the end of the video.
Trouble youd have is that they are designed for grammes per meter on a narrow lane.
Tone to the acre might be difficult without crawling and close spacing.

Youd have a lot of gaps widened to get in a contactor while your flyuting around with that yoke. Why not buy a large limestone rock and chisel it into dust by hand while your at it.

You could sell him the one in your avatar

Now there's something i just can't get my head round.... encouraging a garden to grow. Surely just leads to more hardship of cutting it!
I mean Ive seen nitram applied to a garden as a practical joke.... but liming ur own...
A desperate attempt to defeat the moss.

Let us know how you get on with it, jury is still out on Granlime on the lawns here to get rid of moss.
Local adviser around here says only thing to save a crop of barley suffering from lime def is Granlime, We apply a couple of cwts to grass reseed and get good results with it but to bring up a low PH would be expensive, use high lime content sand about here abouts. As to your moss problem try an application of copper sulphate at about 10 lbs to acre applied through crop sprayer. Watering can or knapsack for lawns.

Local adviser around here says only thing to save a crop of barley suffering from lime def is Granlime, We apply a couple of cwts to grass reseed and get good results with it but to bring up a low PH would be expensive, use high lime content sand about here abouts. As to your moss problem try an application of copper sulphate at about 10 lbs to acre applied through crop sprayer. Watering can or knapsack for lawns.
I bet your advisor sells gran lime

Back