The grazing season

This is a text from glanbia yesterday
20210919_201102.jpg

This will elicit a lot of comment id say. I wonder is it an isolated incident or something that's happening regularly, maybe not with such deadly consequences I suppose.

Nitrogen at 400 quid a ton will probably cure it anyway

This will elicit a lot of comment id say. I wonder is it an isolated incident or something that's happening regularly, maybe not with such deadly consequences I suppose.

Nitrogen at 400 quid a ton will probably cure it anyway
I’d have taught it was more to do with standard applications of nitrogen during the summer and of late and little growth to utilise it all as it was quite dry and then the rain came and there was a huge uptake and mineralisation of N, that and real soft short leafy grass too.

I’d have taught it was more to do with standard applications of nitrogen during the summer and of late and little growth to utilise it all as it was quite dry and then the rain came and there was a huge uptake and mineralisation of N, that and real soft short leafy grass too.
I was surprised it was in a reseed tbh. I thought there'd have been enough growth to get utilisation for any amount but too many possibilities to surmise from this remove I guess.

It's very misleading. It starts to say they thought it was bloat, blood test came back with high nitrogen reading. They seem to blame that then but go to say it wasn't the only contributory factor to the cows deaths. I think if you are blanket spread which teagasc say to do you have to be dame carefull. I hate personally hate doing it.

Last edited:
8 or 9 years a similar thing happened with a lad not far from here.it was april/ May , cows were just out and was poor growth and then took of.the man lost 4 of his 11 cows that was affecting from nitrogen

Vet was here during the week. Said he has scanned a few places and that they have cows calving early or late nothing in between. Said it was from too much N spread during the heat in July

Vet was here during the week. Said he has scanned a few places and that they have cows calving early or late nothing in between. Said it was from too much N spread during the heat in July
I had one this morning a week early now that you mention it, that would be highly irregular for us

Ready to call time on night grazing.time to keep them in at night.driving round in rings looking to get cows gathered up.nor is there much benefit to fresh calvers out at night
it's fecking cool and sharp showers this morning.can notice the season has turned for good this yr now

Ready to call time on night grazing.time to keep them in at night.driving round in rings looking to get cows gathered up.nor is there much benefit to fresh calvers out at night
it's fecking cool and sharp showers this morning.can notice the season has turned for good this yr now
There a change there alright. Be hoping to keep the fresh girls and ones milking strong out for another bit yet. We used to be like yourself but The drafting gate here has sorted that out now. All cows will run together and the gate drafts out the ones we want for the shed. Takes some work off us

2 weeks off these winter showers will bring a change aswell to ground conditions.if they can be kept out during the day for next 2 to 3 weeks around here it will be like any other year ..it be over and out for 2021 with the milkers

2 weeks off these winter showers will bring a change aswell to ground conditions.if they can be kept out during the day for next 2 to 3 weeks around here it will be like any other year ..it be over and out for 2021 with the milkers
Ya won't be long getting wet at all really. For fresh cows the extra few kg of meal pays better then the ton of CAN. The spring girls will tidy off the paddocks here now, when things start to turn the others will be housed

I see there's a target of 8,000ha of MSS to be sown next year in the budget and some scheme there to support it, not much details yet though.

If they are serious about MSS then they need to subsidise the seed or something, I was thinking of trying 20 acres of it next year on ground that isnt suitable for mowing. I am passing a dairy farm every day that has a newly sown MSS paddock, i must say that the cows peel it each time thus far, even when i thought it was gone too strong to try grazing.

Back