The grazing season

The price of fertilizer might promote the mss on its own.
Government don't want cheaper fertilizer as they don't want us using it

Covers are getting strong ahead of them now😂

20211019_182216.jpg

There is land opposite some of this place owned by a man in his late 60s . Lives 2 miles away .Milks 60 odd cows with a 10 unit parlour . Has a big land base AWAY from the parlour. He dries off the cows late November very early December. After drying off , he distributes the cows to all the outfarms , puts 5 or 6 in each division . They get nothing only the pick on the land . He brought them home possibly 15th and maybe 20th of January , to calve early February.
They spread their own slurry , no silage . Look well , but it was a very easy winter on outwitted stock . He does it for years .

There is land opposite some of this place owned by a man in his late 60s . Lives 2 miles away .Milks 60 odd cows with a 10 unit parlour . Has a big land base AWAY from the parlour. He dries off the cows late November very early December. After drying off , he distributes the cows to all the outfarms , puts 5 or 6 in each division . They get nothing only the pick on the land . He brought them home possibly 15th and maybe 20th of January , to calve early February.
They spread their own slurry , no silage . Look well , but it was a very easy winter on outwitted stock . He does it for years .
How come they never have these guys on ear to the ground ?

You have to be profile building on Twitter nowadays to be on Ear to the Ground.
Or if you have a multi-million euro business and use your profits to buy several farm of land and stock them with pedigree or fatstock sale heifers, you will have media outlets salivating all over you for your story of "how you built one of the best suckler farms in the country up from nothin!!"

How come they never have these guys on ear to the ground ?

This man is 68 . Taking things easier is his priority , not blowing his trumpet . He wants to get rid of milkers , both sons have good jobs , and sort of want to farm , but not milk . He's giving them every chance, plus vat . He'd have pulled back a bit on buying in the weanlings , and definitely spread 18/6/12 once , and either once or at most twice another sprinkle to boost on . He rotates them , and had super grass and thrive all year , in my opinion .

Teagasc wouldn't be interested in this man's style of farming . Nothing remarkable .

On paper the man's a fool getting a relatively low return on his asset with such a low stocking rate.

In reality he's probably one of the most profitable dairy farms per man hour in the country.

No growing grass for silage, no cutting silage, no feeding silage, no slurry spreading.

How would a lad like that get on in a nitrates inspection? would he still have to have X months of storage per head?

On paper the man's a fool getting a relatively low return on his asset with such a low stocking rate.

In reality he's probably one of the most profitable dairy farms per man hour in the country.

No growing grass for silage, no cutting silage, no feeding silage, no slurry spreading.

How would a lad like that get on in a nitrates inspection? would he still have to have X months of storage per head?

He has storage , plenty of slats , used to make 100 acres of 1st cut . Spread plenty of fertiliser on the home farm , for the milkers . Fairly sure that he'd have a good SFP . Just taking it handier , and probably surprised that it's making more sense financially . Less work , less contractor cost .

I worked on a thousand cow dairy farm in Canterbury New Zealand when I was twenty

Owner had a separate farm entirely for winter grazing, had them in mobs of fifty, my job was topping them up with hay ,easy done on land that was pure gravel a fee inches beneath the surface

Not many could do the same here no matter how benign a winter

My neighbour has been doing similar with his youngstock for years. He cuts the ground beside me twice for silage. This suits him well as the water supply isnt great so he lets the aftergrass grow from august to october and then puts the cattle out on it. They stay grazing up on to the end of febuary and then he closes it up again for silage. He always has good crops of grass for cutting.

I worked on a thousand cow dairy farm in Canterbury New Zealand when I was twenty

Owner had a separate farm entirely for winter grazing, had them in mobs of fifty, my job was topping them up with hay ,easy done on land that was pure gravel a fee inches beneath the surface

Not many could do the same here no matter how benign a winter.
Was out In New Zealand In 2007 would go back tomorrow.

Back