The older masseys

The 3 point linkage was and still is the best way to make the best use of light and mid-weight tractors, especially 2wd tractors, for heavy traction work.
4wd, heavier tractors and better tyres / tracks have reduced it's usefulness or necessity.
Ferguson/MF basically built the same tractor for really 50 years, the changes from the original Ferguson 35 (1956/7) and 240, produced for the rest of the world well into the 2000's, were very small and mainly cosmetic other than the early change from the 4cyl C23 engine to the Perkins 3cyl.

I'd agree it really was a good invention for its time but its so dangerous now on bigger machines yet nobody seems to be able to come up with a cost effective alternative that suits all machines.
I wonder what proportion of tractor accidents are related to the 3 point linkage. We all know the PTO but crush injuries from hooking equipment, accidents from equipment decoupling.
I know I've being lucky more than once when I realise one or other hook lock wasn't snapped over.
Am I correct in there are new restrictions in place for excavator equipment on the type of quick attach they use ie must be hydraulic?

if the starting point wasnt so right no one would have kept modifying it over the years though, they'd have started with a clean sheet. 50 years of evolving the one architecture is pretty huge in engineering given the end result is so far removed from the starting point.
I suppose the same could be said for the Fordson major which evolved into the 5000, various parts were changed over the years but it could trace some commonality right through to todays New Holland T6. 4 cyl's

This has @diesel power written all over It!

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1995-massey-ferguson-9240/19835523

Cummins engine too I Think.
https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1995-massey-ferguson-9240/19835523

YzhiYWE1NTNmOTA4MzllMDFmYjZlYTdkYzQ4YTViZWLXD0xadERLaudo73A-J3AXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDkxNDMyMjB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Eating his own words.....This particular example is owned by M Healion Tractors – a well known tractor garage in the midlands. Speaking to AgriLand, Micheal said: “This tractor will likely be with us for ever more. We brought it to Narraghmore for the [Massey Ferguson] world record earlier this year.”

if the starting point wasnt so right no one would have kept modifying it over the years though, they'd have started with a clean sheet. 50 years of evolving the one architecture is pretty huge in engineering given the end result is so far removed from the starting point.
You could also call it unwilling to change.
Alot of what they brought out in the 70/80s that was a new design wasn't brilliant either

Up on DD for 25k with a
" do not buy for work " tag it probably will be with him for evermore :smile:.
Originally it sounded like he intended to keep it as a promotional vehicle (no pun intended) for the dealership but now it looks like he could be keeping it due to it's problems and exorbitant price tag, built by Agco before they became big and took over MF etc. sold as a White and an Agco Allis, as a Deutz and Lamborghini with Deutz engine
95DF8-31.jpg

'SHOULD BE CONSIDERED AS A SHOW TRACTOR ONLY DO NOT BUY TO WORK!!!!!!! UNLESS YOU’RE RELATED TO A SHEIKH '

Its not much good as a show tractor if it has transmission problems (that are only likely to get worse)
Couldnt even take it on a road run!

What's the issue with the funk transmissions? If you were in the US they'd be relatively cheap to overhaul would they not?
Nothing wrong at all. Their actually a very good transmission just pricey to do especially in that tractor. 7 or 8k on a modern frontline tractor would be a bitter pill never mind spending that and more to sort that MF out.

Is that dealer around a long time or emerged more recently .. hadn’t noticed them on done deal until recently....
He has been around quite a while alright, he often had tractors at right enough money
It’s only recently I have seen him advertising high value imports from Holland (presuming it is holland) though

I've a Massey 8240 powershift. Sometimes she starts dropping down through the gears herself. What causes it is faulty switches in the foot clutch. I've had to change them a few times in the past 7 or 8 years. Dust gets in and destroys them.

I've a Massey 8240 powershift. Sometimes she starts dropping down through the gears herself. What causes it is faulty switches in the foot clutch. I've had to change them a few times in the past 7 or 8 years. Dust gets in and destroys them.

Pray tell, where did you find that beast ? Do you use it as a main tractor ? I thought you had something like an MF 8120/8130 for ploughing etc.
Any pictures of it ?
A friend of mine has either 2 x MF 3690s or a 3690 and a 3680. One is on 42 rears and the other on 38s. The dynashift had to be done in one of them , but it was bought for handy money.

@jf 850 I got her in Flynn's of Mullingar. I use her on the onepass and I've 7618 does the ploughing.

I wondered did you import it yourself , as they would be an extremely rare beast.
Had you an 81 series MF.
The neighbour I mentioned in my "A trouble shared ", thread bought a new 7614 in 15 , to amuse himself with . A fine lump of a tractor.
You have red blood running through the veins so , in more ways than one .

Weren't the 8100 series Massey a bit of a pup?. You rarely see one with high hours because they never kept going long enough to clock up hours. Endless hyd problems are something along those lines I think. The 8200 series were the replacement and everything the 8100 should have been.

Weren't the 8100 series Massey a bit of a pup?. You rarely see one with high hours because they never kept going long enough to clock up hours. Endless hyd problems are something along those lines I think. The 8200 series were the replacement and everything the 8100 should have been.

The 8100s hadn't a great name afaik. The contractor over near where you have your tillage had a couple of them I think. He is gone more or less all NH now , but would have had a lot of 2640s etc years ago. An 8100 would possibly OK with an owner operator , such as @Iggy .

Back