Todays Photo

Three generations of this family over eighty years have been involved in building up this model railway collection. The present generation are using 3D printing to make some of the bridges and buildings. The Ford Service Van was a new addition.
Impressive work, it takes a bit of time.

My father has a set stored away. I must get it out some day and get it going once I have a spare moment.

Does it take many scoops of the crane to fill a trailer or does the hopper fill the trailer in one go?
hopper does the filling. works off a red light/green light system. red to stop and green light to tell you to move forward. and when you're full, light either flashes or stays green until the trailer is out from under the hopper (depends on who's operating the hopper). 2 different hoppers then. one that can take one trailer at a time and the other is a double hopper which can take 2 trailers. from what one of the lads were saying, the bucket on the crane will take 6-10t depending on how weighty the stuff is. that trailer in particular i think is 25ft so maybe the 24+t mark it can take (might ask the lads next time). trailer im pulling is a 22ft with the silage sides on so im taking about 20 odd tonne

hopper does the filling. works off a red light/green light system. red to stop and green light to tell you to move forward. and when you're full, light either flashes or stays green until the trailer is out from under the hopper (depends on who's operating the hopper). 2 different hoppers then. one that can take one trailer at a time and the other is a double hopper which can take 2 trailers. from what one of the lads were saying, the bucket on the crane will take 6-10t depending on how weighty the stuff is. that trailer in particular i think is 25ft so maybe the 24+t mark it can take (might ask the lads next time). trailer im pulling is a 22ft with the silage sides on so im taking about 20 odd tonne
I'd expect you are carrying a lot more than that with silage sides?

I'd expect you are carrying a lot more than that with silage sides?
If your trailer is 22ft long x 8ft wide you are carrying over 22 ton at a depth of 6 ft 6 inches,
the sides are probably higher than that so you are carrying a lot more than 22 ton

If your trailer is 22ft long x 8ft wide you are carrying over 22 ton at a depth of 6 ft 6 inches,
the sides are probably higher than that so you are carrying a lot more than 22 ton
I think a 20x8x8 was up around 24t of wheat. Can’t remember what the 18x8 with the silage sides and the front bagged was but I know it was way over what it should have been. The sprung drawbar was fully bottomed out 😕

I think a 20x8x8 was up around 24t of wheat. Can’t remember what the 18x8 with the silage sides and the front bagged was but I know it was way over what it should have been. The sprung drawbar was fully bottomed out 😕
But you could imagine the trailer creaking under the weight and tearing up the tyres. Trailer is on floaties as they could drawing maize or silage the next day

Why don’t they use an old 8 wheeler bulker?

I may have asked this before but why tractors and trailers and not trucks. The port near here use artics and trailers to haul it to the sheds, most of these never leave the port at all. Like I presume the tractors do other work also what happens when there busy during the summer and theres a boat in.

But you could imagine the trailer creaking under the weight and tearing up the tyres. Trailer is on floaties as they could drawing maize or silage the next day
Yep, bogies under serious pressure, tires nearly pulled off the rims scuffing around corners etc… it’s a truck job, or atleast a proper tri axle with steering etc not a job for an older tandem

I may have asked this before but why tractors and trailers and not trucks. The port near here use artics and trailers to haul it to the sheds, most of these never leave the port at all. Like I presume the tractors do other work also what happens when there busy during the summer and theres a boat in.
im not sure tbh as well. the tractors and trailers are hired by doyles who have some stores down at the port. halls have the hauliers work for them
Yep, bogies under serious pressure, tires nearly pulled off the rims scuffing around corners etc… it’s a truck job, or atleast a proper tri axle with steering etc not a job for an older tandem
its more of a job for a set of cheap super singles and tri-axles for definite. when turning with the double axle, could see the wheels on the trailer tilting. i try to avoid turning sharply but when fighting for space in a near full store with a loader and possibly another trailer, have no choice but to

Why don’t they use an old 8 wheeler bulker?

im not sure tbh as well. the tractors and trailers are hired by doyles who have some stores down at the port. halls have the hauliers work for them
There wouldn't be many 8 wheeler bulkers around this country plus it would have to be road legal etc etc so I reckon the lads with the tractors & trailers are doing the job cheaper.
Halls in Dublin do have the tractors & trailers working alongside the trucks shifting the material to the sheds, for a while now Doyles have only used the tractors. The man that owns the tractors used in Dublin port also stores some stuff for Halls out in Donabate.

Reactions: c4l
There wouldn't be many 8 wheeler bulkers around this country plus it would have to be road legal etc etc so I reckon the lads with the tractors & trailers are doing the job cheaper.
Halls in Dublin do have the tractors & trailers working alongside the trucks shifting the material to the sheds, for a while now Doyles have only used the tractors. The man that owns the tractors used in Dublin port also stores some stuff for Halls out in Donabate.
Went to sit on a tractor on that job for a lad one day was a couple of trucks and a few tractors with trailers. Tractors were far quicker than the trucks to tip plus the hydraulic doors where trucks were manual. Strictly limited speed on the short distances wiped out the main advantage of the trucks

Went to sit on a tractor on that job for a lad one day was a couple of trucks and a few tractors with trailers. Tractors were far quicker than the trucks to tip plus the hydraulic doors where trucks were manual. Strictly limited speed on the short distances wiped out the main advantage of the trucks
I’ve a 540hp Volvo in the yard here with a hydraulic back door and a twin ram tipping body,it’ll tip faster than any tractor trailer will,not all trucks are like it though.
It’s also cheaper to buy and shod than a tractor trailer combination.

Back