Wildlife on the farm.

I've never saw one with an orange breast before, unusual.
They vary from full orange front to just a little orange under the chin to full grey front.
IMG_0017.jpg

Picture isn’t the best , wondering what type of bird , haven’t see it before , thanks

Attachments

• BFDC94BF-4F70-4F88-9D1F-D68C471CFFC6.jpeg
    BFDC94BF-4F70-4F88-9D1F-D68C471CFFC6.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 55
Anyone else notice not as many flies and bugs in general on windscreens during the summer? Someone mentioned it other night to me and I didn't think much of it at first, but I recall reams more 20 years ago. We have a few buzzards around the midlands last few years, even father down home in Galway said he'd seen a few, never had them in Galway when I was young mainly kestrels and sparrow hawks you'd see.

Rabbits eating into a crop of spring barley. All the Buzzards have disappeared from around within the last year, there was a lot of them there and they certainly were keeping the rabbits in check. Nobody seems to know what happened to them.

Attachments

• B257598C-DB7A-4C08-B438-5DA682AD4593.jpeg
    B257598C-DB7A-4C08-B438-5DA682AD4593.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 45
Rabbits eating into a crop of spring barley. All the Buzzards have disappeared from around within the last year, there was a lot of them there and they certainly were keeping the rabbits in check. Nobody seems to know what happened to them.
Our spring barley is getting the same.
Mate of mine shot 26 in an hour or so with his .22 rifle and silencer. Me and father have been cruising round in the pickup poping some off in surrounding grass fields. They don't run from the pickup the same!
Hardly made a dent!

Plenty of stuff here, lots of buzzards circling, they swoop down when baling & would lift frogs & mice without stopping, lump of grass with it too.

See the odd owl, has to be an owl as it's silent in the near darkness, couple of years ago there was this screeching match for a few nights then on the third night it got that close it had to be nearly in the yard, thought it was some clown with a bird caller for shooting so went to look for him & tell him to feck off, then a young bird landed on the yard gatepost, turned out to be a short eared owl, went on for a few nights after 2 of them calling to the parents, & a bit less the year after but nothing since, see the odd bat about too.

Plenty of swans, ducks & allsorts of water fowl here too, geese in winter, neighbour has veg waste from the factory going over the land which floods in winter so perfect for them, even had a pink flamingo a few years ago, it had escaped from Belfast zoo, didn't last too long as seen the carcass a while later.

He stayed here and just went into the ditch every time I came around. Never seen as many healthy Foxes as this harvest.
The same here they completely cleaned out our poultry population down to a rooster that doesn't leave the yard and a bantam that's faster than roadrunner, the ducks were first to disappear. Part of the increased numbers around our side is the local gamekeeper is busy with his property maintenance and building side of things otherwise we'd never dee a fox.

Back