Winter Oats 2020

Right or wrong sowed the last 12 acre of oats today . Gone in at 175kg/ha. Field is on top of a hill and was ley , ploughed up lovely. Keep the crows out now and a bit of mild weather and I’ll be right, anything else and I was wrong!!!!!

Last edited:
Right or wrong sowed the last 12 acre of oats today . Gone in at 175kg/ha. Field is on top of a hill and was ley , ploughed up lovely. Keep the crows out now and a bit of mild weather and I’ll be right, anything else and I was wrong!!!!!
Nothing ventured nothing gained..... Keeping the crows out is the tricky part.

Any that I have sown is only showing now and I’m afraid to go look at it .... might leave it until Monday and it might impress me more...

My earlier sown oats is coming on well after a very slow start. The last of it is very slow coming but is appearing. I thought I had a picture of the more advanced stuff but don't. I'll see if I get a chance over the weekend to go for a walk about the place.

Is it a bit early yet to be going onto the wo with fert?.
I think it is too early. I have about ten tonnes of bulk sulcan left over after the wheat and I did not put it on the Oats. If Oats gets too advanced it can get caught by late frosts . I emptied the spreader on my wettest field of oats in case it gets very wet . Remind me not to go back on it later in the month.

I went through about 2/3 of the oats today with 4 bags 10:10:20. Conditions were in the main nice but there were spots where you wouldn't expect that the tractor did sink in a bit. Very little damage overall though but the lower laying fields will have to be left for 3 or 4 days more before I will be able to do them. Oats are super looking and if I had known the way the weather was going to go last back end I wouldn't have sown any wb but instead went with all oats. No pictures as my phone had a swim last Sunday and hasn't recovered despite extensive cpr.

Back