Winter Wheat 2019

In keeping with tradition of not being able to grow wheat here is this years shite.
If it’s any consolation we can’t seem to grow good wheat down here the last few years either. We have one 20 acre field that’s been in continuous wheat the last few years finished cutting it yesterday no weights back yet but definitely no record breaker, going to try and get a break crop in there this year hopefully they’re might be a bit more demand for maize to put in there.

Thankfully getting a chance to cut down here. The coast just seems to be missing these showers that have plagued people (for now anyway).

Finished spring barley today, no idea of yield yet but 3.3-3.5 I’m guessing. Moisture 16-18.

Cutting Firefly wheat this evening. Still have a bit of the second crop Cellule to cut but it’s had showers yesterday and today.

3CA0EC17-7082-4C1D-926A-084578CAC7F5.jpeg 31ACF0EA-D62D-438C-A21E-AAB22B3FCCE5.jpeg 869E8AB7-D1C6-49E3-985B-2D9DB88DACAD.jpeg

First field of wheat finished on Monday did 4.7 , it was Diego, one load went the co op and they said the kph was low but the trailer had 19.9 tonne on it and then it normally carries 16.5 of winter barley so I can’t understand the low kph.

I made a start yesterday on ww here but the moisture was far to high at 24% so I left it so. I didn't go near it today but I think if tomorrow comes a good one it'll be fit to cut it.

I made a start yesterday on ww here but the moisture was far to high at 24% so I left it so. I didn't go near it today but I think if tomorrow comes a good one it'll be fit to cut it.

Why didn’t you cut it?
We cut wheat at that moisture and above yesterday, it’ll average 24%., I’m delighted we cut it, 50ac out of the way and we got the straw baled today. Rain forecast for here on Tuesday.
Cutting away again today, are you nearly finished the harvest to be able to leave a combine idle for two dry days?
Cutting wheat in a bad weather harvest, imo every opportunity needs to be taken and the last thing I’d consider is moisture content.
We just don’t have the luxury of dryer weather nor the combine capacity to be able to sit and wait for ideal opportunities.

Why didn’t you cut it?
We cut wheat at that moisture and above yesterday, it’ll average 24%., I’m delighted we cut it, 50ac out of the way and we got the straw baled today. Rain forecast for here on Tuesday.
Cutting away again today, are you nearly finished the harvest to be able to leave a combine idle for two dry days?
Cutting wheat in a bad weather harvest, imo every opportunity needs to be taken and the last thing I’d consider is moisture content.
We just don’t have the luxury of dryer weather nor the combine capacity to be able to sit and wait for ideal opportunities.
I thought the moisture was far to high tbh. I have about 3 days cutting to get finished up. I'm not baling the straw so that doesn't matter. Tomorrow will finish me at home here and then it's just an 18 acre block on an outfarm to get done.

Why didn’t you cut it?
Are merchants happy about accepting a heap of wheat at 24% of everybody in the area was harvesting at that.

I would never criticise anyone for cutting grain at any moisture , particularly during a tricky harvest but I do know if I drew a load of wheat at 24% into the merchant I was drawing into today, I wouldn't get a second load in.

Ha I bet if you owed him enough he'd take it. There's a few lads around here and if they showed up with anything at all the merchant would greet them with open arms :no:
We have a substantial bill there at the moment but they know we will pay it regardless. They are very particular about the grain they buy and the customers they deal with.

Are merchants happy about accepting a heap of wheat at 24% of everybody in the area was harvesting at that.

I’d imagine a merchant would want grain in as dry as possible, spend less on drying costs, a ton is a ton and that’s what their margin is made on, tons not quality, we sell to an end user, quality is important, wheat quality and yield can reduce dramatically in poor weather, it happened in 2012.
Id rather have the wheat cut at a higher moisture than leave it to the chance of more bad weather and a reduction in yield and quality, our buyer wouldn’t want poor quality, they’d handle good quality grain at a higher moisture, a few extra litres of diesel would dry it.

@Mid cork & @Blackwater boy
Great to meet ye again today especially since I was their for sowing as well. Covered a nice bit today mainly around East Cork. Some very tasty looking crops out there and some welded to the ground.
Only had the one camera with me today and not 2 other specific lens which would have helped with the low light but Im happy enough with the results
The Avensis has a nice bit on the clock and it will be her last harvest season
DSC_3324.jpg DSC_3295.jpg DSC_2831.jpg DSC_2769.jpg

Started the Lumos at 20.5 moisture at 11.30 and it improved all day. Made a good hole in the field. Happy enough with it. Lovely clean even crop in comparison to the dung I was cutting yesterday.
View attachment 69135 View attachment 69136 View attachment 69137 View attachment 69138

It was a great drying day, same moisture at the same time with the lad I was with but he didn't start. He done another sample after the grub and it was 19.5 so he made a start, last 2 loads were 16.3, finished the field at 20.45. Graham for seed, touch over 5 tonne/acre by my fag box calculations.

It’s not the moisture content itself but rate at which you can clear
If everyone cuts at 24 the drier has to take 10% out and speed grinds to a crawl while more wheat comes in
Ok if you’ve time to dry but not ideal all day every day
If they’ll take it cut it
It’s not an easy harvest for anyone

Merchant has to get to Kelly’s too for Oct Bank Holiday Weekend as well
He’s a round of golf booked with @Bog Man

In a harvest like this everyone has to make comprises, if you have a lot of wheat to cut or take in you have to decide whether you want some of it at high moisture, hopefully getting most of it at reasonable bushel, or do you want to wait for good moisture and allow the bushel drop badly. Not an easy choice for large scale wheat growers or merchants, but this is not barley.

Back