Winter Wheat 2019

I finished a block of wheat trials two weeks after starting them. There were a couple of the same varieties cut on both occasions. It’ll be interesting to see what the weight loss will be over that time.

I saw someone on twitter saying their yield had dropped by 1.5t/Ha in two weeks due to weather delays. I’d certainly believe it.
At a grain price of €150/tn this would be a loss of €91/acre.

If one had a crop of wheat yielding 4.75tn/ac at 20%, it would yield 5tn at 24%. The cost of cutting at the higher moisture would be €12.50/acre (assuming €2.50 per moisture point and a base price of €150/tn).

Obviously, you can’t get grain for malting or seed passed at 24% and the merchant may not be happy getting grain at 24% but €91/ac versus €12.50/ac is a big difference...

@Mid cork & @Blackwater boy
Great to meet ye again today especially since I was their for sowing as well. Covered a nice bit today mainly around East Cork. Some very tasty looking crops out there and some welded to the ground.
Only had the one camera with me today and not 2 other specific lens which would have helped with the low light but Im happy enough with the results
The Avensis has a nice bit on the clock and it will be her last harvest season
View attachment 69142 View attachment 69143 View attachment 69144 View attachment 69145

How does the lwb tm perform @Mid cork

It’s not the moisture content itself but rate at which you can clear
If everyone cuts at 24 the drier has to take 10% out and speed grinds to a crawl while more wheat comes in
Ok if you’ve time to dry but not ideal all day every day
If they’ll take it cut it
It’s not an easy harvest for anyone

Merchant has to get to Kelly’s too for Oct Bank Holiday Weekend as well
He’s a round of golf booked with @Bog Man
You will see me out wippet racing with the travelers before you would see me on a golf course.

@Mid cork & @Blackwater boy
Great to meet ye again today especially since I was their for sowing as well. Covered a nice bit today mainly around East Cork. Some very tasty looking crops out there and some welded to the ground.
Only had the one camera with me today and not 2 other specific lens which would have helped with the low light but Im happy enough with the results
The Avensis has a nice bit on the clock and it will be her last harvest season
View attachment 69142 View attachment 69143 View attachment 69144 View attachment 69145

Those night shots always have an extra ‘dimension’ or aspect to them. Brilliant.

Wheat at home is done. Best field did 4.5. The worst did 3 and was the one I asked about here back in the spring when I was thinking of harrowing it back into the ground. Happy enough with how it did after and I'm glad I didn't till it up. Taking the best and worst together I had a 3.5 ton avg which I'm happy with. Just the block on an outfarm to get done now and that'll be a wrap on the 2019 harvest.

Cut our little bit of Bennington W.W. drizzling when we started raining by the time we were done, but the last tank was still only 17% on the moisture meter, I reckon that the load will be 16%.

Back