winter barley 2018

Anyone getting ring rolling done? It's getting sloppy here to travel on sown ground.
I only finally got started sowing this afternoon. Headlands not sown but only because I got bet for light and stopped the brother tilling. Luckily enough I decided to get all the ploughing done before any sowing this year which for once may have been the right thing to do. Ground tilled up a lot nicer then I was expecting but you wouldn't dream of going in with a roller. Getting it sown and the other crops are my main concern for now. Oct isn't looking like a settled month at all. It seems to be getting harder all the time to get work done with feckin weather :unsure:

Seed just arrived today, unfortunately all the dressed Carneval was gone even though I'd ordered it a couple of weeks ago. Had to settle for Latitude dressed Tower instead but it did really well in a field I cut last year so I don't mind. The Latitude is probably more important than Redigo Deter against Take all so all I want now is weather. Land was ready since the weekend, hope I'll get it in as good condition as it was then. Nothing looking likely for a while now by the look of things.
MF30

Seed just arrived today, unfortunately all the dressed Carneval was gone even though I'd ordered it a couple of weeks ago. Had to settle for Latitude dressed Tower instead but it did really well in a field I cut last year so I don't mind. The Latitude is probably more important than Redigo Deter against Take all so all I want now is weather. Land was ready since the weekend, hope I'll get it in as good condition as it was then. Nothing looking likely for a while now by the look of things.
MF30

Carneval only arriving today??? I’ll drop you a pm on this as it sounds well out of order to me.

Carneval only arriving today??? I’ll drop you a pm on this as it sounds well out of order to me.
Ah it's not a problem, it was only curiosity that I'd try it. The Tower I cut last year (not my own) was fabulous so I'd have tried it either. Not a fault of Goldcrop by the way, I'm not blaming anyone. In the grand scheme of things it's hardly noticeable.
MF30

Ah it's not a problem, it was only curiosity that I'd try it. The Tower I cut last year (not my own) was fabulous so I'd have tried it either. Not a fault of Goldcrop by the way, I'm not blaming anyone. In the grand scheme of things it's hardly noticeable.
MF30

Pm sent anyway. If a grower wants one of our readily available products then I would like that he receives it.

Winter Barley all sown and rolled here now, a couple of headlands will be getting sprayed tomorrow if the wind stays away for a few hours, Winter Wheat sown but not rolled, finished it this evening got the last 22acres ploughed and set on my own today, mist threatening to rain but it stayed out on the hills.

All our seed is still in the stores, by the looks of the weather it will be staying there what would the cut off point be? Usually get it sown by now every other year

All our seed is still in the stores, by the looks of the weather it will be staying there what would the cut off point be? Usually get it sown by now every other year

As mentioned, my ideal time if I had the choice when to sow barley or wheat down here would be last week of October/first week of November. Crop will be so much cleaner and easier to manage. Unless it’s very wet ground of course.
I’ll sow away till the end of November happily although birds could be a pain then.

Sowed wheat at the end of November in 2009. Ground froze solid and it didn’t appear till February. Neighbors thought it was gone. Came up perfect after the thaw and did 5tn of Cordiale.

As mentioned, my ideal time if I had the choice when to sow barley or wheat down here would be last week of October/first week of November. Crop will be so much cleaner and easier to manage. Unless it’s very wet ground of course.
I’ll sow away till the end of November happily although birds could be a pain then.

Sowed wheat at the end of November in 2009. Ground froze solid and it didn’t appear till February. Neighbors thought it was gone. Came up perfect after the thaw and did 5tn of Cordiale.

You would sow away barley till end of November? Ya I'd have no bother setting wheat at that time either.

You would sow away barley till end of November? Ya I'd have no bother setting wheat at that time either.
Absolutely unless it’s wet ground. Barley will benefit from less autumn growth just as wheat will.
Less time in the ground pre Christmas means less virus pressure and less disease pressure including Take All.

Absolutely unless it’s wet ground. Barley will benefit from less autumn growth just as wheat will.
Less time in the ground pre Christmas means less virus pressure and less disease pressure including Take All.

Cheers cork I was always under the impression that after Oct it was a no no

Anyone getting ring rolling done? It's getting sloppy here to travel on sown ground.
Only started sowing yesterday evening, got 95 acres sown just as it started to rain at 6 this evening. Got 64 aces rolled. Hope to plough the headlands (around 16 acres)on that ground tomorrow and get it sown and we will go from there .

While it's not at all late yet I haven't an acre drilled. Forecast for next week is cat. I set barley in autumn of 12 around the 20th/25th of October in mediocre conditions, never again, crows and poor seedbed gave a very low plant stand and barley does not forgive you.

Got nothing done today. Ground was a bit tacky this morning and it was misty and miserable enough on and off all morning anyway so I went picking stones. Land was just coming up lovely around 4 this evening but the f'in rain got here first. Hoping tomorrow will come good and with a bit of a push I should finish my bit of wb. I can't see any of it getting rolled unless the weather takes up dramatically.

Got 25ac sowed, conditions are tolerable.
We have other land ploughed it will be drilled with the one pass whenever we get a chance.
Cultivator drill and disc harrow are parked up and I doubt they will move until next year.
It's tough going, but every acre done is one less for spring cropping.

Nothing sowed here, ploughed but half wish I hadn't ploughed as conditions were marginable. Need 1-2 good days drying to get back in.

While it's not at all late yet I haven't an acre drilled. Forecast for next week is cat. I set barley in autumn of 12 around the 20th/25th of October in mediocre conditions, never again, crows and poor seedbed gave a very low plant stand and barley does not forgive you.
This is not 2012, weather is shite but stuff is jumping out of the ground so sleep easy old buddy old pal

That was inferred in my broad "this is not 2012" statement but good to hammer home the point nonetheless :Thumbp2:

Yeah, a few dry days (if we get them) and we’ll be motoring again. No point mucking.

Back