A record I would say?

Did that gentleman run a John Deere drill many moons ago before the Masseys? I recall a man who came down here a few years ago from around that area telling me how many seasons he had done and it was something very similar, almost sure it is an 18 row that he bought new that he's using now too.
He had quite a few memories to recall that night.
MF30.

[QUOThad a disc massey MF30, post: 482063, member: 5031"]Did that gentleman run a John Deere drill many moons ago before the Masseys? I recall a man who came down here a few years ago from around that area telling me how many seasons he had done and it was something very similar, almost sure it is an 18 row that he bought new that he's using now too.
MF30.[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of, but will ask him.
He has had 3 masseys that I remember going back to the mid seventies.
He bought this 30 in the early eighties and had a disc massey before that and I barely remember the previous one to that but it was also a massey.

Does he ever give you his views on the current state of agriculture?

He sowed for most all of my family for the last 3 generations, so most always talk turns to people and machines from times gone by.

[QUOThad a disc massey MF30, post: 482063, member: 5031"]Did that gentleman run a John Deere drill many moons ago before the Masseys? I recall a man who came down here a few years ago from around that area telling me how many seasons he had done and it was something very similar, almost sure it is an 18 row that he bought new that he's using now too.
MF30.

Not that I know of, but will ask him.
He has had 3 masseys that I remember going back to the mid seventies.
He bought this 30 in the early eighties and had a disc massey before that and I barely remember the previous one to that but it was also a massey.[/QUOTE]
Sounds familiar alright, think he started with the John Deere drill back in the sixties if I remember correctly, think there was mention of how a drill could pay for itself in a season or two doing hire work back then. How times change.
MF30

Had a good few holdups yesterday, hit a water pipe around 7, so it took me a while to get that temporarily fixed, still have to go back and dig it in properly. The front tyre popped off the rim for no apparent reason at 8.20, but luckily Wesley had a lad out with me quickly, but I hadn't the key to the gate so had to race home, still back going by 9.45, not a bad service.
IMG_20161011_091654.jpg
One of the outside levelling discs kept falling off the Karat, I bent the pins holding it on in a fight with a stump in the ditch, so had to get 3 new bolts. Ran out of diesel the evening before, thankfully the last 500 litres filled the main tractors, but the loader tractor ran out, I got to get 15 litres out of the empty tank and bleed it, filters need changing when I have time.
IMG_20161011_151234.jpg
Hopefully today will be better.
IMG_20161011_151228.jpg IMG_20161011_173940.jpg

Lovely looking 165 there gone (I think):Thumbp2:

That 165 was my late uncle's last purchase, he was fond of the 4" brush, it is a very good and straight tractor.
It has not been started since this time last year, I but back in the recharged battery and it started first turn.

That 165 was my late uncle's last purchase, he was fond of the 4" brush, it is a very good and straight tractor.
It has not been started since this time last year, I but back in the recharged battery and it started first turn.
does he fill the massey from big bags all the time and how does he work it so as not to spill any

humungus post: 482341 said:
does he fill the massey from big bags all the time and how does he work it so as not to spill any

I'm not sure if he does any other sowing anymore.
I have always loaded him with the big bags.
I put the big bag over the middle of the hopper and use the drawstrings to restrict the flow and just tie them off when I have enough, then just level it out across the drill.

I'm not sure if he does any other sowing anymore.
I have always loaded him with the big bags.
I put the big bag over the middle of the hopper and use the drawstrings to restrict the flow and just tie them off when I have enough, then just level it out across the drill.
The big bag dispensers are the business; just screw them into the bottom of the bag, use the slide to control flow and direct the flow with the flexible spout. I hang a big bag of seed and a big bag of fert out of the pallet forks side by side and hold them over both hoppers. The flexi spouts will allow the grain/fert to flow the full width of the 3 metre drill without and hand levelling.
MF30

Did that gentleman run a John Deere drill many moons ago before the Masseys? I recall a man who came down here a few years ago from around that area telling me how many seasons he had done and it was something very similar, almost sure it is an 18 row that he bought new that he's using now too.
MF30.

Sorry for the delay, going around like a blue arsed fly as they say, he started with an International drill before the Masseys, he bought his present drill new in 1988, a few years after I tought, and before that he had a 13 row disc drill, but it had no tramliner.
The Massey disc drill was great for sowing Peas and Beans, he use to sow all our Peas and Beans back then.

Sorry for the delay, going around like a blue arsed fly as they say, he started with an International drill before the Masseys, he bought his present drill new in 1988, a few years after I tought, and before that he had a 13 row disc drill, but it had no tramliner.
The Massey disc drill was great for sowing Peas and Beans, he use to sow all our Peas and Beans back then.
When you mention it maybe it was an international drill he spoke about! He came down with a young neighbour who farmed sheep and possibly helps him with work also. Can't be too many men out there with 60 years drilling under their belt!
MF30

When you mention it maybe it was an international drill he spoke about! He came down with a young neighbour who farmed sheep and possibly helps him with work also. Can't be too many men out there with 60 years drilling under their belt!
MF30
He said he was down with you, very impressed with your stock of parts.

That's going to be a serious budget... I wish you all the best.
I've allways set out to get that yield-never happened tho. "This time next year we will be millionaires"...

It is savage land, I have broken my farm record for Oats and Wheat by a long way on this land since I started farming this land 2 seasons ago.

A budget for the crop, I will say whenever I have to go above the budget.

Winter Barley budget 2016-17

Machinery Ha

Spraying €75

Ploughing €62.50

Grubbing €25

Sowing €25

Rolling €12.50

Spreading €37.50

Harvesting €125

Machinery total €362.50

Materials

Seed €120

Fert €255

Herbicide €43

Fungicide €98.4

Insecticide €2

Growth reg. €32

Trace elements €12.50

Lime, hedge cutting, haulage and interest €40

Materials total €602.90

Total Variable costs €965.40

Budgeted yield 11ton/ha @ €130 €1,430

Margin over Variable costs €464.60

A budget for the crop, I will say whenever I have to go above the budget.

Winter Barley budget 2016-17

Machinery Ha

Spraying €75

Ploughing €62.50

Grubbing €25

Sowing €25

Rolling €12.50

Spreading €37.50

Harvesting €125

Machinery total €362.50

Materials

Seed €120

Fert €255

Herbicide €43

Fungicide €98.4

Insecticide €2

Growth reg. €32

Trace elements €12.50

Lime, hedge cutting, haulage and interest €40

Materials total €602.90

Total Variable costs €965.40

Budgeted yield 11ton/ha @ €130 €1,430

Margin over Variable costs €464.60

no straw value included or do you normally chop?

no straw value included or do you normally chop?
Everything chopped this year and most chopped the previous year.
I will be able to reduced Fert spend this year because of last years straw, so will not include it even if I end up selling.
If that makes sense.

Back