Factory Prices General thread

Just looking at yesterday's cattle and of the cattle under 30 months that should be inspec only 30% are collecting which is about normal. Between cattle grading 4+, 2=, not in herd 70 days and a few O-.

The disparity in fats is something I always wonder about. Our cattle that will kill a 2= in one plant magically can be 3+ elsewhere, but the price is weaker in the factory that grades the fats much easier. No win, they have you everyway :laugh:

There is very little difference between QA and nonQA cattle in the mart in my limited experience. I'd be going to the mart with them till you are QA.
Would gladly bring them to the mart but I have to take a day off work. With the factory I can bring them on a Friday when I'm not working.

What's the logic behind the good prices for short keep stores at the moment? Are a lot of people just taking a punt or are factory prices expected to be stronger than normal in the back end?

Are price for short keep that out of kilter. I suppose guys have shed space and these would be gone out before the bulk of cattle need to be indoors. With Brexit lurking for next spring it might not be the best time to be carrying large value stock

What's the logic behind the good prices for short keep stores at the moment? Are a lot of people just taking a punt or are factory prices expected to be stronger than normal in the back end?

Is it farmers or factory feedlots that are buying though.....:scratchhead:

It's always farmers who set the price.

Store cattle are coming in here about €30 to €50 back on last year.
Are ye buying weanlings yet? Prices on the real good bull or heifer appear to be on a par with last year but there is lots of value to be got.

Are ye buying weanlings yet? Prices on the real good bull or heifer appear to be on a par with last year but there is lots of value to be got.

No weanlings, avoid them if possible, mostly 2017, youngest might only be year.
Plenty of cattle coming out the past two weeks, more than id expect, as grass isn't that tight for many in the areas where we'd be buying.
Are lads taking advantage of the current prices?
I think stores will be bought less later on, but we can't not buy when the cattle are in the marts and we have grass.

No weanlings, avoid them if possible, mostly 2017, youngest might only be year.
Plenty of cattle coming out the past two weeks, more than id expect, as grass isn't that tight for many in the areas where we'd be buying.
Are lads taking advantage of the current prices?
I think stores will be bought less later on, but we can't not buy when the cattle are in the marts and we have grass.

I'd say lads are just being cautious. There isn't much room for error this winter with regard to having enough feed. I do know that speaking to people in the west, north west and north midlands who were at marts these last few days, that prices appear to have risen again and farmers are very happy with prices being achieved.

We are planning on changing the way/age that we sell. We will keep less cows and definitely with the autumn calved cattle, we will keep them to 18 months before selling them. It's not that they will leave more money, but it just might be less work than keeping extra cows. It will mean less creep meal feeding and more trying to take advantage of putting on weight with grass. Suckler farmers are inclined to believe that the more calves born on their farm, then the more profit (or less loss), when instead they should actually be concentrating on how they are really paid - by the kg going out the gate and trying to push that up.

All negative talk about short term beef price this week anyway. Factories are well fit for cattle IMV, so I'm unsure

Last edited:
I don't see stores been bought cheap as plenty will have the same opinion and just assume they are buying value, added to the guys that just 'always buy them anyway'

will ye lads that buy stock to finish in the shed still buy away considering the price of rations and cattle in the factories?
Depends on grain price, cattle input price, output price and Brexit. So an extra variable for this year. I will buy away for now for finish this side of Xmas. Forage/fibre is the issue atm. Grain price is still okay

This years stores are €22 less than last year, when compared on a price per kg.
We are buying a bit heavier this year and the cost per animal is actually above last years price, grades are as good or a bit better.
Good cattle are not back €100 or €150/head.
One dear animal in a mart is not the true market price, there has to be a few big prices in every mart.
In everything, it's the average the matters, figures don't lie.

will ye lads that buy stock to finish in the shed still buy away considering the price of rations and cattle in the factories?
I'm mulling over that very topic atm. When you consider what silage is making and will make next spring you'd be hard pressed to see cattle returning anything like the same money. Tax is the issue if sheds aren't filled up so I suspect most will feed away as usual or will certainly buy away anyway.

This years stores are €22 less than last year, when compared on a price per kg.
We are buying a bit heavier this year and the cost per animal is actually above last years price, grades are as good or a bit better.
Good cattle are not back €100 or €150/head.
One dear animal in a mart is not the true market price, there has to be a few big prices in every mart.
In everything, it's the average the matters, figures don't lie.

Very well said and this weeks Farmers Journal is full of hyperbolae on the very topic.

The differential in store price versus last year seems to be consistent with earlier in the year as well from what you say there.

I'm still of the belief there is value out there in the poorer than average stock if one had the feeding this year.

We will here, it suits the system, we have about the same amount of haylage as last year, same acres of whole crop, less tons but hopefully similar feed value, crimped wheat tons as last year, possibly better quality. Considering crimping a load of barley too, might mix it with brewers grain or something else if it's a bit dry, just to have a bit extra.
We've more bales to make and will sell surplus.
We'd be very slow to change, not feeding cattle would be like leaving land fallow and convincing oneself that your actually making money.

Fallow is brilliant I have seen the benefits of it this year.
Land left for two and a half years yielded an extra half ton to the acre on spring barley.
Fantastic and completely mad, I'd view having a yard of feed and facities to feed cattle similarly.

We will fill the sheds as always and proceed with plans to build another. While it would be very tempting to sell the beet, grain and straw at current prices there are so many variables in the mix, it may not be the correct decision. Mixed farming has worked well for us over the last 10 years and I'm not inclined to break that rhythm for a quick buck.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/medi...ports/2018/meatmarketreport/MMRWk33230818.pdf

This is a real interesting report. Interesting to see that steer slaughter numbers are down by over 5000 in 2018, Cows are up by 10,000 and heifers up by 14000. 46,000 extra animals exported too can only be good for future prices. We are down close on 30,000 beef bred calf registrations in 2018 and dairy has increased by 40,000. Overall, cattle numbers should be well down for next year and we should see some slow down and reconsideration of dairy expansion due to the summer.

Back