case cvx's

so doing the stupidist of things like fwd to rev at 50k and driving like a complete muppet wont grenade the 'box/tranny

shouldnt JD have summat similar
you can go down the road at 50k and hit reverse, all that will happen is that she will come to a standstill and start to reverse.
as o heidin says, the stepper motor did give trouble on some of them, my dealer has replaced a few, £1500 app iirc.
but i got my software updated and it checked for wear 2 yrs ago and it was in good order they said.
as o heidin also says, i believe if the box was changing between the first two ranges it will prematurely wear the dogs.
a hill with a load will give you a clue if they are right or not, but only a clue mind.
it happens when a driver sets a speed between the ranges, iirc its round the 8-9k mark, she will run between the two ranges to choose the optimum speed set, but if you know the tractor you will hear her changing, anyone with a bit of cop would alter the settings so as she wouldnt do it.

altho, to be fair the g box is fairly bomb proof.

what about a tractor thats been holding back heavy trailers allday everyday
isnt that what feks up JDs

what about a tractor thats been holding back heavy trailers allday everyday
isnt that what feks up JDs
no matter what you buy, would you really know if she was.
there is good trailer brakes on them.
id be keeping an eye out for the ones with an exhaust brake, might go some way to comforting worries.

With all of this worry about gearboxes I think you'd be better off looking at a 5140 Synchro :laugh::laugh::laugh:
no harm in askin about summat i know nothing about
and if i was gonna spend 30k on a chariot i would like to have an idea if the 'box is ok

we just had a 3k bill for our '40 for rebuilding the powershifts:crying:

no harm in askin about summat i know nothing about
and if i was gonna spend 30k on a chariot i would like to have an idea if the 'box is ok

we just had a 3k bill for our '40 for rebuilding the powershifts:crying:

Don't get me wrong headcase I agree with you. I can see what you are saying about the box too. You are reckoning the extra pressure on the pump would lead to cooking it? I think ZF were one of the first with CVT boxes so would think they have ironed it out but then don't they do the JD box and lots of others too??? Definetly do the Deutz TTV.

Sounds painfull and then I am told to go for something complicated:001_rolleyes:

The cvx box runs on separate oil from the back end, far as I know the brakes run with the back end oil.

As Nashmach says the Deutz is the same running gear, had a shot up the road in a Deutz 630? earlier this year & underneath it's just the same running gear as the cvx....only thing I didn't like was the lack of hold when you stopped.

Last edited:
The cvx box runs on separate oil from the back end, far as I know the brakes run with the back end oil.

As Nashmach says the Deutz is the same running gear, had a shot up the road in a Deutz 630? earlier this year & underneath it's just the same running gear as the cvx....only thing I didn't like was the lack of hold when you stopped.

Looks more like a X720 to me Jay Dee?

if ya buy one with low enuf hours you will be fine,
believe me when i say to you, ya wont be disappointed,
if a cvx was a torch it would be a led lenser:whistling::lol:

or, if heiniken made tractors.............:001_rolleyes::thumbup1:

when driving a cvx say baling or forager can you set the top speed and work them so they go any speed(depending on loading of the engine) between standstill and the set speed??or is that whats called cruise control

when driving a cvx say baling or forager can you set the top speed and work them so they go any speed(depending on loading of the engine) between standstill and the set speed??or is that whats called cruise control
cruise will keep the power to the machine, speed will slow down and build up again as the tractor encounters lumps in the swathe say.
you can switch to 1 on the transmission switch which is a max of 14k iirc.
but i only use it now and again, id use #2 setting more, for baling, mowing.
there is three settings 1,2,3 for the trans, 3 being max speed of 50k.

with cruise control i just go to the speed i want and ht cruise if im geting tired with my foot on the throttle, dont use cruise all the time tho, for mowing i normally use the foot as you can go faster on some parts of the field than others.

I tend to use the cruise nearly full time, even on decent roads.

A couple of examples.

With the baler, say 8K in range 2, then use the pedal at the headland upto 25K max, then lift off, back to 8K....revs stay constant throughout, (as the pto is running) & still in cruise. Sometimes if the rows have light bits I may be at 8K in range 2, then drop into range 1 set at 10K to go faster.

Power harrow, say 7K in range 2, approaching the end drop down into range 1 set at say 4K....out of run & into reverse at say 3K.....back in at 4K & change up to range 2....back to 7K, staying in cruise throughout.....same as you would run a powershift box.

Something I often think of....if a man had no legs he could still drive 1 in a field.

ok think i get it:001_unsure:

whats the thoretical top speed of these tractors then:whistling:
if they do 50k at 1700rpm(???)say they had a computer error and could run at 2200rpm at the fastest the vario would let it

god im bored tonight to think of summat like that:001_rolleyes::laugh:

ok think i get it:001_unsure:

whats the thoretical top speed of these tractors then:whistling:
if they do 50k at 1700rpm(???)say they had a computer error and could run at 2200rpm at the fastest the vario would let it

god im bored tonight to think of summat like that:001_rolleyes::laugh:

now your thinkin like a fendt, a cvx will do 50k, but the rpm will be up near 2200 when its doing it.
not sure if the newer ones come back in rpm when on the road but i dont think so.

now your thinkin like a fendt, a cvx will do 50k, but the rpm will be up near 2200 when its doing it.
not sure if the newer ones come back in rpm when on the road but i dont think so.
are you sure
i seem to remember the 130?? i drove years ago revd up to get to speed then the power seemed to drop away once it got there:001_unsure:

are you sure
i seem to remember the 130?? i drove years ago revd up to get to speed then the power seemed to drop away once it got there:001_unsure:
i know one thing, it wont drop to 1700 neway.
it ill come back a bit but not by much.

Flip me an I thought I was a CVX/TVT nut!lol I'm even learnin! But seriously are boy ran 5 blue/red ones an 1 fendt. They were on a par. The TVT155 is on 10,000hrs now and has been chipped for 9,000 of them. Has made ground on 818 and 820's wit same loads on hills! Really underrated tractor. Have had all types from real early 170 up 2 latest 195 an they are the ultimate yoke!!

Back