Cheap press

I am guessing by having a quarry nearby you have a few stones to deal with in which case you might break the cast rings. The DD rings will wear but will depend on soil type too. We have done an article on buying a used Cultipress which will give some indicators to how much life is left in them.

As a guide for parts you could look here http://www.agri-linc.com/shop/wearing-parts/press-roller-and-carrier-rings/

Other places to look would be eBay or the classified section of Farmers Guide if you are after a Cousins or similar.

Not too bad for stones here, a few but nothing major. The quarry is about 10 miles from the farm, in completely different soil. Thankfully!!!
I'll have to peruse that link!!!

We went through the "what to buy" for a long time, simba is seriously well made stuff, not cheap new or secondhand, Cousins is well made too and not as expensive.
If you want to do a bit more tilling than your roller, you need cultivating tines and levelling paddles.
We were going for that option, either a unipress or cultipress was our choices initially.
In the end we went for a carrier, as we need a bit more cultivation and we got that with the discs, it was a very expensive machine, it does great work, can't fault the machine.
Built quality is excellent.

I know where it is, tbh it's mainly cos I know the owner that I'm steering well away from it.
A well known character in our area:wink:
There was also a cousins press sitting up in the yard at donahoues in enniscorthy last day I was down, you may have already seen it, or it may not suit but just after thinking of it!

Drew bet me to the local one :laugh: You should have no bother with power anyway on something like that as that one had a 185hp tractor up front mainly but those Landinis are great tractors to pull :smile:

The Cousins in Donohues is a 4.8m I think, it is similar to laoisfarmers Im pretty sure. Cleanish but not mint. Was there three weeks ago anyway.

SR Haylock over in Cambridgeshire also had one.

There's also a very tidy Farmforce press in CF in Enniscorthy but doing think that would be heavy enough for what you want :confused3:

A ring roller with levelling boards, but it won't pull out the wheelings and really isn't heavy enough.

Tillage isn't my specialty but I remember reading a few years ago in practical farm ideas about a guy who had modified some class of harrow and basically put a dropped beam in front of the harrow and moved two tines each side behind the wheels to run lover than the rest, meant he didn't have to run the whole width of the machine two inches deeper than needed just for the wheelings.

Could something similar be achieved on the roller with some pigtails behind the wheels? If you're otherwise happy with the job it's doing

Tillage isn't my specialty but I remember reading a few years ago in practical farm ideas about a guy who had modified some class of harrow and basically put a dropped beam in front of the harrow and moved two tines each side behind the wheels to run lover than the rest, meant he didn't have to run the whole width of the machine two inches deeper than needed just for the wheelings.

Could something similar be achieved on the roller with some pigtails behind the wheels? If you're otherwise happy with the job it's doing

I did an experiment last year with 3 pig tails behind each wheel. Whilst it removed the compaction, it left it unlevel as the freshly ripped soil was easier to drag out of the ground by the ring roller than the undisturbed ploughed ground.

I did an experiment last year with 3 pig tails behind each wheel. Whilst it removed the compaction, it left it unlevel as the freshly ripped soil was easier to drag out of the ground by the ring roller than the undisturbed ploughed ground.

Would there be any point in sticking a front press on so the ground is slightly firmed before travelling on with the rear press.

The people behind Oakfields are related to Brocks so I would imagine are honest to deal with.

Would there be any point in sticking a front press on so the ground is slightly firmed before travelling on with the rear press.

The people behind Oakfields are related to Brocks so I would imagine are honest to deal with.

Are they not Plymouth Brethren . Supposed to be very honest to deal with but used to be fond of taking evil radios out of tractors . Some Plymouth brethren would not use E Mails or web sites but got around it by contracting it out .

Are they not Plymouth Brethren . Supposed to be very honest to deal with but used to be fond of taking evil radios out of tractors . Some Plymouth brethren would not use E Mails or web sites but got around it by contracting it out .

You are correct. Not usually the cheapest but will always look after you if there is a problem.

Correct,yes and no use of mobiles until lately and didn't use pens on all invoices until lately,
Didnt use a computer to file stock in the stores,used a filing shelves to hold part numbers and prices.
Being dealing with them over 20 years.so know them very well,
I bought my discovery off one of them,
Very very honest men.

Back