Cheap press

I'll get some more detailed replies later, but I have to say I do like the look of some of the knight triple presses. That one is more a min till machine is it @Profi Farmer ?
Or would it work on ploughed ground too?
Thanks for all the suggestions lads!

I'll get some more detailed replies later, but I have to say I do like the look of some of the knight triple presses. That one is more a min till machine is it @Profi Farmer ?
Or would it work on ploughed ground too?
Thanks for all the suggestions lads!

The logic behind it was the drill could be dropped off allowing the Knight component to be used as a cultivator. That one looks to have two gangs of bigger discs (they called it a C-type cultivator) but the one in the link below had tines. It just depends if you want to do any cultivating or just press.

https://www.profi.com/news/Knight-to-unveil-Rabe-drill-combination-38346.html

Link to a brochure for the C-type cultivator - http://www.rgknightandson.co.uk/pdf/knight/ctype.pdf

Some better pics of the one Crummack has - it came from a Brown and Co auction by the looks of it - https://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/auct...0010/lot-4044819e-cc9f-4aaf-9ab0-a508010d3c64

Last edited:
Been thinking about this a little today, probably too much as I have a few questions!!
The DD rings are well regarded by many, but some still prefer the cast ring. Some say that they need to be tightened regularly, or else they will rapidly do in the bearings. I'm also wondering, is the simba press too light, I think the 4.6 metre is around 3.7 tons?
Do the DD rings leave the seedbed more rain-proof, or would the cast rings work equally as well?

I had a rexius twin 450 on trial for a few days in the autumn, and if money was no object, this is what I'd buy. It did an absolutely terrific job, the individual control of tine and levelling board depth was a great bonus. It was also incredibly well built. Unfortunately, it is also incredibly expensive, so thats ruled out.

To me, I think the knight triple press with tines and a levelling board is the closest to a rexius on a small budget.
Opinions?
Thanks!!!!

Wasn't there a rexius in the farmers weekly last week in the UK for 8 sterling.i may have a look for it

Cambridge Farm Machinery is a good place to start looking for used Vaderstad stuff then the likes of Biccasion, Agri-Linc, Lister Wilder......

The DD ring does a nice job as it doesn't over pack the soil. There is no point ploughing it just to roll it back like concrete. What were conditions like when you had the Rexius, would it do too much if it was a bit damper?

I used a Cultipress (which is different to the earlier Simba twin row press) with 180hp and you could easily kill the tractors trying to carry too much soil.

Cambridge Farm Machinery is a good place to start looking for used Vaderstad stuff then the likes of Biccasion, Agri-Linc, Lister Wilder......

The DD ring does a nice job as it doesn't over pack the soil. There is no point ploughing it just to roll it back like concrete. What were conditions like when you had the Rexius, would it do too much if it was a bit damper?

I used a Cultipress (which is different to the earlier Simba twin row press) with 180hp and you could easily kill the tractors trying to carry too much soil.

I'd say if you went in a little too damp you'd pack it down like concrete, but I suppose thats up to the operator really!!!
I'm gonna have a little ring around and see what I can find today!!

I'm going to throw a complete curve-ball at ye now!!!! Please save the laughter til I'm done:lol:
What about a 4M folding front press, something like this: http://www.ellismachinery.co.uk/product/cousins-4m-folding-front-press-7850
but with 3 point linkage mounting points on both sides, so it could be used on the front of the 8870 sometimes when I'm on my own, and maybe on the back of the TS115 with dual wheels on when I have a helper? I know it would be fairly light, but with 2 rows of tines it would level and consolidate a little would it not?
As you were!!!!!

I'm going to throw a complete curve-ball at ye now!!!! Please save the laughter til I'm done:lol:
What about a 4M folding front press, something like this: http://www.ellismachinery.co.uk/product/cousins-4m-folding-front-press-7850
but with 3 point linkage mounting points on both sides, so it could be used on the front of the 8870 sometimes when I'm on my own, and maybe on the back of the TS115 with dual wheels on when I have a helper? I know it would be fairly light, but with 2 rows of tines it would level and consolidate a little would it not?
As you were!!!!!
Would work but would be better if you could have it trailed , not a problem to a someone like yourself who likes a challenge . If trailed weights could also be added ...

Would work but would be better if you could have it trailed , not a problem to a someone like yourself who likes a challenge . If trailed weights could also be added ...
I suppose a double press would be better from the off really then, I know in my heart this is the case, but I don't want to spend or fortune. At the same time, I don't want to buy a dud for the sake of a little bit more!

Traditional type, our plough turns with the bodies under, tried turning the slideway on the headstock around, but it wouldn't give enough front furrow width.

Just seen Ellis Machinery have a couple of packomats for not mad money.

Sometimes you see the Franquet front press which can extend out to the sides for pressing when ploughing and then pull it in to use as a traditional front mount press. A two in one machine

Hey lads, been thinking about this since, and I think I might have come to a conclusion. I'm on the phone here, so this might be a brief description!!
I'm thinking of possibly going with this: http://www.tvmachinery.com/used-far...-low-acreage-2c929b135920f73b015973a83676197a
I spoke to Mike who owns Thames valley machinery, and he is to email me pics as soon as he gets to the machine. From what I understand TV machinery sells machines on behalf of farmers, so the press is still in the owners shed, who is retiring from farming. It was being towed behind the set of discs that can be seen in front of the press in the pics.
I don't think that buying a press with rigid tines is any advantage to me, as I think that they wouldn't work great here and I would probably throw them off anyway. According to Mike, there is still a huge amount of life left in the rings, he reckons they are only 20% worn, and if the pics he sends confirms this, and the overall condition of the press, then at least that is one thing I won't have to worry about as it can be very expensive to 're-ring these apparently.
The other thing is that we have a 6.3 M Vaderstad ring roller here with levelling board. My plan would be to graft this onto the simba over the winter, complete with the hydraulic rams, pipework etc, so it would work out very cheap, with only the cost of the steel and my own time.
Also, I have a 4.5M pig tail grubber here, so I also have a source of some 30mm heavy duty tines that could be also put in front of the levelling board, again the only real cost being that of box section steel, and maybe some hydraulic rams if I want to make it adjustable from the cab.
I know there would be a bit of modification required to the frame of the simba to make it work, but as I have most of the bits here, it shouldn't cost a fortune to make a useful machine.
It's also a lot more than what I was initially looking at, a "cheap press", but if the dd rings are indeed the way to go, then I suppose it's easier to digest to extra outlay.
Anyway, opinions on this please!!!!
Thanks!

Given your own abilities this is right up your alley, however there is one problem, with cultivating tines, levelling Tines and a width of 5.5m it will be a savage pull.

Given your own abilities this is right up your alley, however there is one problem, with cultivating tines, levelling Tines and a width of 5.5m it will be a savage pull.
I was thinking that, I had wondered if a 4.6m would be a better bet? The only thing I like about that one is the amount of life left in the rings. I must have a look again for a 4.6 with good rings. If anyone sees one, post a link please!

Back