Cheap press

It looks good in the photo anyway. Just comparing the rings on the rexius with those on the simba, the rexius ring is a nice bit wider with a shoulder on it that must support the weight a little better. I wonder is this why people say that the dd ring was so much better than the cast ring on the simba, because the simba cast ring is quite narrow? Would the cast ring leave the seedbed weatherproof too I wonder?

The cast ring would leave it weatherproof to a certain extent. We would be on light soils here so it wouldn't be a major concern but the man that had the press would be on heavier ground and noticed that it did weatherproof the soil. Also improved work rates with the drill. He sowed with a rapid and noticed a improvement. We sowed with a 3m one pass and did notice a gain in workrate but not to the same extent.

Thanks for the info @Iggy and @jc1160 .
I like that cast ring press as a lot of the work is done on it as regards the levelling board and also the new rings. The only thing I'm thinking is am I better spending a little more for the dd rings? I've never used the dd type press before, so I wouldn't know what I'm missing, I just wonder would it leave a more weather proof finish? I'm on my own here, so the ability to go and press a sizeable area in one go would be handy without having to rip it all up again if it rains.

I was talking to my man this evening and I asked him about it. He said that with the twin rows of rings it should leave a good weatherproof finish. The dd rings will leave a nicer finish but he reckons that the twin cast rings will be good enough in most soil types. If it was me I think I would try the cast ring press and see how it works, if not happy with it, you could sell it on and go for the dd ring. At the money that it is advertised at even with transport over you would get the same for it after a season.

I was talking to my man this evening and I asked him about it. He said that with the twin rows of rings it should leave a good weatherproof finish. The dd rings will leave a nicer finish but he reckons that the twin cast rings will be good enough in most soil types. If it was me I think I would try the cast ring press and see how it works, if not happy with it, you could sell it on and go for the dd ring. At the money that it is advertised at even with transport over you would get the same for it after a season.
I agree with you @jc1160 , I'm strongly considering this one. It's not crazy money, and the cross board is a big bonus. There is a good frame on these Simbas too, so at least there is plenty to work with of I decide to put a row or 2 of heavy tines on it!

I was showing the father your press on donedeal. He thinks it's a great job. What weight is it and what kinda horse power would you need in front?
Not sure on weight , but it is heavy enough. A lot depends on land . We were pulling it comfortably with 160 with duals . A neighbour has one and pulls it with 130 hp and doesn't run duals . A lot depends on how deep you put in the tines . 120 hp would pull it no problem with the tines out and it would still do good work . In the video the tines are very deep and would not normally that deep at all .

Not sure on weight , but it is heavy enough. A lot depends on land . We were pulling it comfortably with 160 with duals . A neighbour has one and pulls it with 130 hp and doesn't run duals . A lot depends on how deep you put in the tines . 120 hp would pull it no problem with the tines out and it would still do good work . In the video the tines are very deep and would not normally that deep at all .

Neighbour has one the very same and I was pulling it with a ford 7610 with duals. With the tines in about 3 inches of even, any deeper and she struggled to pull it

@Skimmer ...., No front tines I know.

https://www.donedeal.ie/rollers-for-sale/simba-6-metre-double-press/14901735

MDFmZDY5MTE3M2VlNDM5MzNjYTAwMWNmOTMwNjdhODaH1SxHJdHKvsmRJNvNaOuSaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b183MDQ5NzQ1NHx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

I know you are all totally sick (or de - "pressed") of hearing me on about furrow pressing with the plough.
However it really is the business - land is pressed in 1. ideal conditions 2. one operation 3. with no extra wheel tracks.

Efficient in time and diesel compared to a separate draft operation.

Pressing with the plough makes a weatherproof seedbed which will dry out 2-3 days before unpressed ploughing.

@gone has plenty of experience with the plough mounted packomat which is easier on the man than my trailed press on the plough.
Dragging this discussion out of the past but have been thinking of pressing rather than rolling ground pre sowing, couple of question on the practical side of furrow presses.

1. Sideslopes are they made more difficult by having a big lump pulling he plough sideways?

2. ESB Poles, not the type to leave a 1/2 acre unploughed around them, does the press make this more difficult?

3. Ploughing next to the ditch is the press arm an issue on the first run, Is there a narrow strip unpressed next o the ditch.

4. How is the press released is it hydraulic or is it mechanichal

5. Moving the press between fields, seperate tractor if no front linkage?

6. Power requirement, we have some seep hills most ploughing done with125 hp 6 cylinder, how much pulling do they take? ploughiing 4f 16" overum

Might be a cost effective solution if it's practical. I'd appreciate any advice

Dragging this discussion out of the past but have been thinking of pressing rather than rolling ground pre sowing, couple of question on the practical side of furrow presses.

1. Sideslopes are they made more difficult by having a big lump pulling he plough sideways?
Haven’t had this problem.

2. ESB Poles, not the type to leave a 1/2 acre unploughed around them, does the press make this more difficult?
Usually leave the press at the “long side” of the pole and hook up again on the way back. Do this for a couple of runs until past the pole. Leaves an unpressed strip at the “short side” of the pole but no issue.

3. Ploughing next to the ditch is the press arm an issue on the first run, Is there a narrow strip unpressed next o the ditch.
Just fold the arm in when ploughing up by a hedge.

4. How is the press released is it hydraulic or is it mechanical
Ours is hydraulic off a spool. Older ones were a solid hook which you unhooked by reversing. The plough man in Wexford uses the brake coupling to hydraulically release his.

5. Moving the press between fields, seperate tractor if no front linkage?
Separate tractor or move the plough seperately. We got front linkage which is a Godsend for the press.

6. Power requirement, we have some seep hills most ploughing done with125 hp 6 cylinder, how much pulling do they take? ploughiing 4f 16"
We pull kv16” 4f and 1tn press happily with 125hp 4cyl.

Might be a cost effective solution if it's practical. I'd appreciate any advice

I’ve inserted answers after your questions

Would a swing over press mounted on the front linkage be too much for a 150 hp tractor pulling a 5 furrow reversible? Not this design but quite similar.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZtL14PLDy5U/maxresdefault.jpg
They broke a good few tractors in half in their day, you would need either a tractor with a full chassis rail, like a modern JD, or fit full length brackets to the back axle, some front lifts have these now or loader brackets. Also fun on side brows when turning on headlands, they can create momentum to turn the tractor over if not careful.

Hello resurrecting this thread which I should have done pre brexit but here we are. Looking at buying something like a cousins type 28 press, nice one here. https://www.oakfields-ag.com/product/2000-cousins-46m-type-28-land-packer

Does anybody know of any selling in Ireland. The Simba unipress seems another great tool but probably beyond my budget. All suggestions welcome.

Which would take more pulling a type 28 or a Simba unipress?

Hello resurrecting this thread which I should have done pre brexit but here we are. Looking at buying something like a cousins type 28 press, nice one here. https://www.oakfields-ag.com/product/2000-cousins-46m-type-28-land-packer

Does anybody know of any selling in Ireland. The Simba unipress seems another great tool but probably beyond my budget. All suggestions welcome.

Which would take more pulling a type 28 or a Simba unipress?
The Type 28 as it is two lots of rings and more weight, Unipress only has one row of cast or DD rings

Back