Spring Barley - General Thread

I ploughed and grubbed a small bit for a neighbour, he had to sow some Oats because of the moronic 3 crop rule, the Oats seed was disgraceful, like the first tank of Oats you cut before you have the combine set properly, more broken straw than Oats.

Last edited:
Ran short of 100 kg of pea seed on the headlands the week before last. A local merchant had a 500kg bag and agreed to let me take what I wanted out of it which I thought was fair enough.

It was untreated, either poorly cleaned or not cleaned at all and was invoiced at €810 per tonne 😳

Crows and rabbits attacking a fair bit of the field I passed through this morning, think theres still the remnants of slugs in this area as it has a shingly area thats hard to tighten down. Will put up kites after top dressing it, the patchiness should fill out enough in a few weeks for them to leave it alone. Lead for the rabbits..

Is it a bit early for N yet?, sowed some SB 3 weeks ago, tram lines just about visible, I only go with N once, I'm limited to weekends so I'm tempted to go with it this afternoon! Otherwise it will be next weekend also have to give the WB its last N and usually do both when the spinner is on.

Is it a bit early for N yet?, sowed some SB 3 weeks ago, tram lines just about visible, I only go with N once, I'm limited to weekends so I'm tempted to go with it this afternoon! Otherwise it will be next weekend also have to give the WB its last N and usually do both when the spinner is on.
Going on mine now.

Ground here probably a bit tighter than necessary. It feels very cold and lots of moisture. Errigal sown ten days and sprayed with Stomp Aqua.

Attachments

• 77E5BB53-99BF-4929-A219-D1EFA888781B.jpeg
    77E5BB53-99BF-4929-A219-D1EFA888781B.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 898124B3-D96C-4ED9-989D-C8BC9E673201.jpeg
    898124B3-D96C-4ED9-989D-C8BC9E673201.jpeg
    372.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 44299360-2970-4829-9CF2-523E0AA0DA9D.jpeg
    44299360-2970-4829-9CF2-523E0AA0DA9D.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 48
As soon as there is a sniff of a tramline visible lash out the full amount of N.
If there was a bit of rain forecast I'd even go a bit sooner.

I only finished rolling the last of mine this afternoon. A few right dirty hail showers around as well and it used get feckin cold each time the sun went in. I plan to put out the N as soon as I can see tramlines. Probably 10 days to a fortnight. 40 went into the seedbed.

I only finished rolling the last of mine this afternoon. A few right dirty hail showers around as well and it used get feckin cold each time the sun went in. I plan to put out the N as soon as I can see tramlines. Probably 10 days to a fortnight. 40 went into the seedbed.

It's taking longer than that for most around here to emerge.

Good bit sown around me, 16 days ago now, only just about see the tramlines on damp soil today and youd be squinting at that.

Back