Spring oil seed rape

Has that lost it's flowers quite quick gone?

Most around here is still in flower sown around April 10th.

Has that lost it's flowers quite quick gone?

Most around here is still in flower sown around April 10th.
It has had more than enough flower, Nash, just not sure yet if it is able to support all the pods. Sort of looks to me to be running out of steam might have done with 20kg more N?

It has had more than enough flower, Nash, just not sure yet if it is able to support all the pods. Sort of looks to me to be running out of steam might have done with 20kg more N?

Would the weather be making it run out of steam too?

Would be more usual.
Earliest I swathed oil seed rape was August 20 in 2010 I think. It was on the ground for a month before harvest. Would you always swath spring rape or have you sprayed off be? Is that F F?

The last couple of times I grew SOSR, it was planted on the 17th March and also on the 17th April. It was desiccated by glyphosate and on both occasions, it was harvested on the last day of August. Granted, that is on the south coast which would probably be a week ahead of mid Leinster.

Earliest I swathed oil seed rape was August 20 in 2010 I think. It was on the ground for a month before harvest. Would you always swath spring rape or have you sprayed off be? Is that F F?
I don't grow it that often, this is the first time I swarthed it.
Yes it is F F.

After reading the Journal today and the results from the 2016 crop margins, this is probably a stupid question.

How does SOSR compare to cuckoo barley, ie mid April sown?

After reading the Journal today and the results from the 2016 crop margins, this is probably a stupid question.

How does SOSR compare to cuckoo barley, ie mid April sown?
SOSR needs to be sown in good ground but gets a bad name because it is sown late in a problem field . With the protein payment I would sow beans late spend no money on them and pocket the subsidy and then sow winter barley and maybe mulch in the crop if it’s not fit for harvest .

SOSR needs to be sown in good ground but gets a bad name because it is sown late in a problem field . With the protein payment I would sow beans late spend no money on them and pocket the subsidy and then sow winter barley and maybe mulch in the crop if it’s not fit for harvest .
tut tut, the crop is supposed to be harvested for claiming the Protein payment:rolleyes2:

It would be on the heavy end of the Clonroche series. When you say problem end, what's your thoughts on ideal fertility? This is Index 1 :blushing: but hope to give it a good shot of FYM even though it definitely won't pay to draw it.

I worry more about soil structure than an index of the chemical content of the soil .Beans grow well in tough conditions.
Beans do better in problem fields and if you feed them Lime P&K they do well.
SOSR needs most things to be right from day 1, ph needs to be high 6's, high index 2/3 P and plenty of K available and no compaction.

Beans do better in problem fields and if you feed them Lime P&K they do well.
SOSR needs most things to be right from day 1, ph needs to be high 6's, high index 2/3 P and plenty of K available and no compaction.

That sorts that then, sounds like in my situation I'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Couldn’t you just lime and apply enough p&k Nash? Any other crop you’ll grow will need it anyway.

Ph should be okay now it got a top up in September. It was very very low in P and K but am hoping to put out approximately 15t per acre fresh of dung on it too and it has being getting plenty of bagged P and K since the last test.

The compaction may be an issue.

I agree with you on the last point, it's a long term investment too.

Going sowing Tamerin SOSR. 25kg bags but no mention of how many seeds in bag. Roughly how many kg to the acre should I plant??

Back